Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: IDPA Firearm Question

Quote Originally Posted by shecht View Post
    As I'm new to this, it appears that most involved in the IDPA and events use the 1911 45's, not to mention I have fallen in love with a few that I've seen. Is it safe to assume from the comments here that you can pretty much use whatever caliber you would like for either of these 2 leagues being discussed, IDPA and USPSA? Also, from what I've seen, price for ammo varries only a few bucks a box, correct? Obviously that adds up over time, but...

One other note, it seems like for any competition target type events, a 5" is definitely the way to go...correct?
    Let me take these one at a time.

1. In IDPA - there are different divisions for different guns.

SSP (stock service pistol) - "Stock" double action, DA/SA, safe action guns. Glocks, Sigs, etc rule the roost here. 10 rounds max in a mag.

ESP (enhanced service pistol) - Similar to SSP but some modifications are allowed such as magwells, etc

CDP (custom defensive pistol) - This is where 1911s go. .45ACP, 8 round max in a mag

There are two revolver divisions as well.

2. In USPSA:

Production: Similar to IDPA's SSP division.

Limited: No max mag capacity, as long as mags are 140mm or less in length. No comps, ports, optics

Limited 10: Just like limited, but restricted to 10 in a mag

Open: Red dots, compensators, etc allowed

Revolver: Wheelguns

Single stack: Single stack 1911's.

A 1911 would be shot either in single stack with 8 round mags or in limited 10 with 10 round mags.

3. You definitely want a 5" 1911

4. If you are going to start shooting competitively, you're going to burn through lots of ammo. START LOADING YOUR OWN ASAP.

(Elk County)

Completely agree with the post above..
    A quality and reliable gun with a TON of practice ammo will net you much more benefit than a $2,500 gun.
    Bottom line is to find a gun that you are comfortable with (meaning shoot them, as many different models as possible) in a price range that you are comfortable with. and practice practice practice.. you will have a lot of fun in IDPA, too.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BerksCountyDave again.

Very helpful guy here. I too would like to get into competitive shooting. Just can't catch the break I need.

(Perry County)

If you are certain you want a 1911, but don't care avout the caliber there are tso choices in IDPA. CDP if .45 ACP, or ESP if 9MM. I mention the 9MM as they are easier to learn to shoot well and less expensive, or really more ammo for the same money.

One of the virtues of IDPA as opposed to USPSA is that there are ferer rounds fired in a stage or match (18 max per stage). this has the advantage, for a new shooter that a box of Wal-Mart white box is about all you'll need to spend on ammo. In USPSA a stage can have over 30 rounds and that gets pretty expensive if you don't reload (which at some point you should decide to do unless you are rich). Another advantage of IDPA for new shooters is that the rules try to mimic self-defense scenarios, so there is a training value although I wouldn't consider it the only training one needs. Finally, there is the expectation that one will use the gun that they carry; honored perhaps more often in the breach, but still it keeps the cost of a competitive gun within reach of a new shooter, not named Rockefeller.

USPSA is a fun, run and gun and shoot and shoot sport. More athletic, and shooting both I feel confident in saying that the average shooter at USPSA is a more serious competitor and a better shot. Not to say that the Masters in IDPA aren't great shots and competitors, but only that the average is higher in USPSA (actually this sounds like another reason to start in IDPA?).

Whatever you decide to buy just do it, you probably won't regret the decision.

(Tioga County)

All I can add is IDPA requires min cal to be 9mm or 38spc, No 380acp, 32, 22lr. There are times when they can be used they are called BUG stages or BUG matches. BUG "back up gun" Most clubs I shoot at do not have monthly bug stages or even a monthly BUG match.

Bug stages are also limited to 5 rounds max and no reloads.

If ya get into IDPA you will enjoy it and will see your shooting skills improve. Good luck.

Shooter

(Montgomery County)

This is all great information and very helpful feedback, thank you all.

So another question that comes to mind then, of course I've started the problem by looking at some of the more expensive/higher end pistols, what would be some of the ones I should consider in that "more affordable" price point that would give the necessary options for Competition Shooting?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shecht View Post
    This is all great information and very helpful feedback, thank you all.

So another question that comes to mind then, of course I've started the problem by looking at some of the more expensive/higher end pistols, what would be some of the ones I should consider in that "more affordable" price point that would give the necessary options for Competition Shooting?
    Still want a 1911?

If so, STI Spartan. Nothing even comes close for $600.

(Philadelphia County)

I won a $500 gift cert from Nighthawk Customs from a match last year.
    Ordered a pistol from NHC and love it.

As of yet, I don't have a holster to fit the caspian railed frame, so I haven't actually shot it in any matches, but it runs like a dream.

As many others have recommended, you'd probably be better served spending that money on ammo and whatnot, that is if your budget is tight.

If you have the money, and the Talon (or Kimber) is the gun you want, by all means get it, but understand that at the end of the day, it's the shooter, not the gun. (I shoot IDPA with my G19 FWIW)

Also, if this is something you're going to get serious about, buy you reloading components and press NOW, you'll thank me later. :-)

(Lancaster County)

I think I am ready to take the plunge and have some fun with my XDm .40.

My problem is I'm having trouble figuring out when and where to go to shoot.

NHRPC had some on their calendar but they went and updated their website and now I make heads or tails of anything on there.

Are "match" shoots just open shoots? A "Championship" is obviously a registered event.

Are there clubs that just shoot for practice once a week or month like a lot do for trap, skeet or sporting clays?

I've followed the IDPA and USPSA links and feel like I'm just getting run around in circles without ever getting any solid info about where to go, when and how much it costs.

(Montgomery County)

He11zna, where do you normally go to shoot IDPA? I see your in Philly?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast