Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default "Majority of Americans Oppose OC"

yeah...of the 600 people surveyed...by the Brady Bunch...

Huffington Post

The Huffington Post | Nick Wing First Posted: 05-12-10 06:06 PM | Updated: 05-12-10 06:06 PM

A majority of Americans are opposed to open carry laws that allow Americans to visibly carry loaded guns out in public, a new poll finds.

According to a poll released by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence Wednesday, 52 percent of respondents were against "people in general" openly possessing loaded firearms in public places. 44 percent were in favor. Additionally, 50 percent said they felt "less safe" knowing that non-law enforcement officials were allowed to carry guns in public, while 38 percent felt "more safe."

Furthermore, 51 percent of those surveyed said they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who makes it easier for people to carry loaded guns in public, while only 27 percent said they would be more likely to support such a candidate.

"Politicians who are doing the bidding of the gun lobby, and businesses who worry about offending gun rights extremists, should look at this data and be aware that there is potentially a large price to pay with voters and customers alike," Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Center said in a statement released with the poll. "Having more guns in public places not only puts more people at risk, it clearly makes people feel less safe."

U.S. Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lindsay Graham of South Carolina drew the ire of critics earlier this month, when they refused to hear a measure that would have given the government increased powers to block the purchase of firearms by suspects on the terror watch list over concern that it would have resulted in a deterioration of the Second Amendment right to bear arms. In the wake of the stalled debate, the Brady Campaign encouraged President Obama to step up his support for the more stringent restrictions.

The Brady Campaign has also been engaged in battle against pro-gun businesses, mounting a "Keep Guns Out" of Starbucks campaign that started in February. The initiative appears to be supported by the recent poll, which shows 56 percent of respondents supporting the enactment of a strict "no guns" policy at certain establishments.

The poll, conducted by Lake Research Partners, a Democratic firm, sampled 600 registered voters nationwide and has a margin of error of 4 percen

Default Re: "Majority of Americans Oppose OC"

600 people and a 4% margin of error? useless study is useless

(Chester County)

I am surprised they couldn't word their questions to get a higher against number.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    600 people and a 4% margin of error? useless study is useless
    You beat me to it! Exactly what I was thinking.
    "No man's life,liberty,or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

(Bedford County)

Jshwak Calls Bullshit on this one!

first of all, who is conducting the survey? (yea, exactly!)
    secondly, only 600 people ?? are you kidding me!
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Bucks County)

No worry, no one but already hard core Progressive asswipes read that POS anyway.

(Northampton County)

Even with what I'm sure were suggestive questions, a sample size of 600, and a bias they weren't able to get the landslide numbers that they probably wanted. While they present them in a certain way, this is what I got out of it:

Approximately:
    1 in 3 average citizens feel safer knowing that non-LEOs can OC.
    1 in 2 people support Open Carrying in public.
    1 in 2 people disagree with a "no guns" policy at private establishments.

When put like this, it doesn't support their cause nearly as much as they would like I'm sure.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Bucks County)

useless study is useless
    Well said jolly old chap. I could not have said it better myself.

(Jefferson County)

Now, I understand that anything over 50.0 percent is technically the "majority..."

But I'm sorry, 52% doesn't seem that big of a deal to me, I'm surprised they released the findings at such a close call instead of retesting "better" subject to get closer to the answer they wanted.
    Man its one thing to suffer for your country, Its another to do so because of it...

First off, they can't apply their conclusion to all "American". They can only apply it to registered voters in America, because that's who they surveyed. As of 2008, thats only 71% of voting-age Americans. On top of that, they didn't say if the 600 were representative of the population.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast