Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of reinstating neg-rep?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I want my neg-rep!

106 64.24%
  • No: I like things the way they are!

59 35.76%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Discussion about reinstating neg-rep

Hey all,

As many know, there was quite a to-do about Dan's decision awhile back to take away the ability to give negative reputation to users. The reasons for and against neg-rep are too numerous to discuss here, but in my eyes the discussion boiled down to the following major points:

- Those in favor of removing neg rep felt it was necessary to stem the abuse of the system, as many trolls were using neg-rep as a "back channel" trolling method, ruining good user's reputations and causing administrative headaches.

- Those in favor of keeping neg rep felt its removal was a major step backward in the openness and self-regulation of the forum, as neg-rep was one of the only ways in which a regular user can let another user know they don't approve of comments that were made, without bring said comments to the attention of an admin or mod.

- Many users, regardless of whether they were for or against the removal of neg rep, believed that taking such action without at least asking the membership for their opinions was wrong.

FWIW, most of the mods obviously had opinions on the issue as well, and while we voiced our opinions to Dan, for or against, we respected his decision to remove neg-rep. However, now that we've had a chance to see how the forum has run without neg rep for a period of time, it was recently suggested in an admin/mod meeting that we reinstate the use of neg-rep. The consensus was any negative impact associated with its use was far less than the negative impact associated with its removal.

With that said, I am hoping that this thread will address another concern among the membership, namely the lack of member consultation, by opening a poll and discussion to ask: are you in favor of, or against, reinstating neg-rep?

I'll keep the poll/thread open for a week, to give everyone plenty of time to weigh in on the issue.

So, what say you?
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; May 12th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Discussion about reinstating neg-rep

I think you said it exactly. I am in favor of reinstatement, and regardless of what the poll may say, it is obvious that having neg rep goes a long way toward keeping the monkeys from thowing poo.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Bucks County)

Maybe to stop some of the trolls, you have to have a minimum post count, like maybe 100, to be able to give out negative rep.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

I frankly don't understand the need for either rep or no rep.

That being said, my first major contribution here ended up turning into a poo slinging contest between myself and another guy that soon had his account and his sock puppet account banned.

Negative reputation would have smacked me in the face before I even got established on the forums.

I voted no' as I don't see a need for it either way.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd say NAY. People get their panties in a bunch too much over a few worthless bits of data. I know for a fact I was the "victim" of a clique of neg-reppers because of a comment I made that some poor schmuck took the wrong way, and then he pm'ed all his Pafoa buddies (long time members) to gang up.

Either way, as a big fan of dishing out neg-rep, in the end, it doesn't really make a difference. Same with +rep.

Now, if +/- rep were public and visible to all, that would be an entirely different ball game.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lehigh County)

IMHO, features like reps and the ability to post For Sale items could have a minimum post requirement.

Trolls (as I understand the term) would not be as likely to pop in, post neg rep and leave. Commercial or someone simply stopping in to sell stuff will be limited to participants.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I'd say NAY. People get their panties in a bunch too much over a few worthless bits of data. I know for a fact I was the "victim" of a clique of neg-reppers because of a comment I made that some poor schmuck took the wrong way, and then he pm'ed all his Pafoa buddies (long time members) to gang up.

Either way, as a big fan of dishing out neg-rep, in the end, it doesn't really make a difference. Same with +rep.

Now, if +/- rep were public and visible to all, that would be an entirely different ball game.
    That's the big problem I see in it. Sure, it's great in instances of trolls, and worthless posts. But too much turns into a pissing match around here, and people would be giving out neg rep again just because they didn't like someone..

In reality, I don't like the rep at all. HOWEVER, it does help to establish somewhat of precedent for the classifieds and such. But really, we are who we are, and not many people know us in real life (in some cases, they do ) But anyone can BS on the internet, and get positive rep... but that doesn't mean they are a good gun owner, or a very knowledgeable person. I just think it leaves too much to be determined as of now...
    III%

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

I agree if it were public it would have more of an impact on the people that actually want to use this forum for a good purpose. If you do something stupid once and get your hand slapped you learn not to do it again. Some people it takes twice or more, and some just never learn.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; May 12th, 2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: speeling lol spelling

(Chester County)

IMO the neg-rep served an intrinsic purpose in letting members self-police the forum to some degree.

Yes its removal by fiat rather than by concensus left a very sour taste in my mouth but in the final analysis I decided to stick around to stay connected with the forum's collective knowledge base.

As to the potential for abuse and administrative workload attendant thereto, I have no doubt that those issues are real and potentially significant. A couple years ago I suggested that a procedure be established for an appeal of perceived inappropriate neg-rep use - that issue was responded to with treats of resignation by one mod.

Once again I would suggest that an existing or preferrably a NEW mod be appointed to handle such appeals with the ability to not only reverse obvious neg-rep abuses but also the assessing neg-rep penalties against perpetrators of abuse.

This poll is certainly a step in the right direction to help heal an infection that has been growing within PAFOA because of recent administratives decision which, from the 'body politic' perspective, appear to be vacuous decisions.

Once again KUDOS.

IMO...
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Maybe to stop some of the trolls, you have to have a minimum post count, like maybe 100, to be able to give out negative rep.

^^^^^ What he said.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast