Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bent Locking Block pin on G17

I took my Glock apart the other day to clean it and I noticed the the locking block pin was bent slightly. Any idea what could cause this? The gun shoots fine, no problems at all but I'm still ordering a new pin. I don't know if this is just from use or if there is some problem causing it to bend. I probably have 10-12k rds through the gun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Bent Locking Block pin on G17

as a fellow glock owner, dont worry are guns always go bang....even with bent/broken parts! LOL, on a more serious note, hmmm not really sure. Will have to go take a look at mine in my glocks.

(Allegheny County)

I've seen them bent from an improper installation. Normally too much hammer when not needed. I've seen this in some LE and LE trade in pistols. I've also seen some deformed/bending ones in .40 models with high round counts and no recoil spring replacements. If you're the original owner from new, and you're running the original recoil spring, might be time for a new one. Could be some frame/pin battering due to a weakened recoil spring. Any marks or deformations on the locking block or other areas?

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I've seen them bent from an improper installation. Normally too much hammer when not needed. I've seen this in some LE and LE trade in pistols. I've also seen some deformed/bending ones in .40 models with high round counts and no recoil spring replacements. If you're the original owner from new, and you're running the original recoil spring, might be time for a new one. Could be some frame/pin battering due to a weakened recoil spring. Any marks or deformations on the locking block or other areas?
    I never remember using a lot of force installing or removing this pin, it always came out easy.

I did however run a reduced recoil spring for a long time. I was running an 11lb spring and I just switched to a 15lb spring. The 11lb was good for a long time but I recently started getting off center light primer strikes which is generally caused by the recoil spring being too light. I did the quick check of holding the gun pointing at the sky with my finger on the trigger and pulled the slide back just a little. It would not lock back up consistantly. It's perfect with the 15lb spring. I'll take a close look at the locking block and the frame to make sure everything looks ok. Thanks for the good info.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.