Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Which way to drift my mosin front sight?

So I love my mosin nagant, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. It is a 91/30 (bayonet removed). I am still fairly new to shooting rifles, but enjoy spending time at the range with it. During my last trip I couldn't even hit the paper, yet alone the bullseye, at 100 yards. It appears that I am shooting way high, and to the right. I have the rear sight pulled all the way back (towards the rear of the rifle), which is 100 meters if I understand. At this point the front post is drifted a tiny bit to the right. Should I try drifting the sight over further to the right if I am shooting to the right of the target? Should I bite the bullet and buy a new sight system (mojo)? I don't expect to be a sniper with this thing, but I'd like to at least hit the paper at 100 yards. I've been trying really hard to make sure I use a slow...steady trigger squeeze, so as not to move the barrel at the last second.

-Thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Which way to drift my mosin front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    So I love my mosin nagant, but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. It is a 91/30 (bayonet removed). I am still fairly new to shooting rifles, but enjoy spending time at the range with it. During my last trip I couldn't even hit the paper, yet alone the bullseye, at 100 yards. It appears that I am shooting way high, and to the right. I have the rear sight pulled all the way back (towards the rear of the rifle), which is 100 meters if I understand. At this point the front post is drifted a tiny bit to the right. Should I try drifting the sight over further to the right if I am shooting to the right of the target? Should I bite the bullet and buy a new sight system (mojo)? I don't expect to be a sniper with this thing, but I'd like to at least hit the paper at 100 yards. I've been trying really hard to make sure I use a slow...steady trigger squeeze, so as not to move the barrel at the last second.

-Thanks
    yes
    to change the point of impact with the front sight, you move it in the opposite direction of where you want it to hit.

(Lycoming County)

I have to aim low with my Nagant, I think they are all like that...and for it hitting to the right try putting the bayonet back on and shoot with it extended out, thats how they were designed to be shot..the gas will bounce off the bayonet which is on the right side and push the bullet to the left..so your point of impact will be to the left more than it is now..

If that doesn't work then you can look at working on your front post..

I think you just need more practice though...lol

(Bucks County)

The Russian sights are calibrated in Arshins. One Arshin is about .71 meters. Many Mosins shoot high. The mounted bayonet changes the harmonics of the barrel vibrations. With the bayonet in place the rifle may shoot lower. As far as the gas pushing the rifle to the left; not too sure about that.
    Remember the FORS system of sight movement.
    Front Opposite Rear Same (directions)

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    yes
    to change the point of impact with the front sight, you move it in the opposite direction of where you want it to hit.
    You're suggestion is misleading.......With front sight adjustment, you move toward the impact point! Rear sights move away from impact point(if adjustable for windage). In other words, if this man's gun is shooting high and to the right then he will move the front sight to the right, and in the case of being high, if he's unable to lower the rear sight any more, then he'd need to install a longer front sight pin to lower the point of impact. Or, simply aim a little lower.

A real cheap and simple way to lengthen the front sight pin is to install a piece of shrink fit tubing that you can buy at Radio Shack. Cut the tubing and slip over the pin, leaving about 1/16th inch of the tubing(or whatever you feel is necessary) above the top of the sight pin. This should lengthen the pin enough to drop your point of impact to where you want it.
    Last edited by Poonie; May 13th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    You're suggestion is misleading.......With front sight adjustment, you move toward the impact point! Rear sights move away from impact point. In other words, if this man's gun is shooting high and to the right then he will move the front sight to the right, and in the case of being high, if he's unable to lower the rear sight any more, then he'd need to install a longer front sight pin to lower the point of impact. Or, simply aim a little lower.

A real cheap and simple way to lengthen the front sight pin is to install a piece of shrink fit tubing that you can buy at Radio Shack. Cut the tubing about a 1/8 inch long and slip half of that length over the pin. The 1/16th inch length increase to the front sight should lower your impact point to an acceptable level.
    uh.........thats exactly what I said, just different wording.....if you want it to hit more left, you move the front sight to the right....
    you move it in the opposite direction of where you want it to hit.
    for REAR sight you move it in the SAME direction of where you WANT it to hit.

(Chester County)

Right, but read your way it might make a novice think he needs to move the sight differently than it should be moved.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post

-Thanks
    I had a similar issue with my Mosin first time out.

I moved from 100 yds to 50 and was able to get a better idea of how to sight for elevation and adjust my front sight to move POI left.

I then moved back to 100 yds and was much improved.

(Allegheny County)

It's very common to have your MN shoot high. You need to increase the front post height to lower your POI.

Article on how to modify it: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ight/index.asp

With regards to the bayonet thing.
    The Russians initially made all of their MN line with removable bayonets, the problem was that soldiers would loose them. The design of the M44's folding (attached) bayonet was to keep the bayonet with the rifle so the soldiers wouldn't loose them. The M44 was designed "short" to be more maneuverable to accommodate urban fighting. It would kind of be stupid if the Russians shorten the rifle and then required the bayonet to be extended to shoot it accurately. In my experience it makes no significant accuracy difference if it's extended or not. In addition, I've never heard of the bayonet making any difference in accuracy when referring to any other model MN.

Some helpful sites for you:

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

For your windage issue (like Ovadekp mentioned) move to 50 yards to see where it's hitting and make you windage changes at 50 yards, and moved to 100 and readjust if needed. You can even start at 25 yards.

Last edited by Hawk; May 13th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
    Toujours pręt