Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Safe CHEAP Gun Storage?

Hey I'm in the same boat man.

I've been browsing craigslists "for sale" area occassionally, and always see gun safes and gun cabinets for pretty cheap.

I wouldn't recommend a gun cabint for much more than a place to display your guns and get them up off the floor. It's not much more use than that. The glass can be smashed in an instant, and the wooden doors, even if you pad lock them closed, can be pried open in under a minute with anything found laying around your house, if they didn't bring their own tools.

I'd opt for a gun safe. These are the requirements for the gun safe I'm going to get, maybe this guide line will help you too:

*The walls must not be as thin as a tin can.

*It must be so big that two people can't just pick it up and walk out with it: If you get a safe that you can pick up and move by yourself, nomatter how hard it is, that's probably not good enough.

*The ability to be bolted down: This is a great option. For the thieves who can't or won't crack open your safe on the spot, many times they attempt to wheel the safe away to another location(after throwing it in their truck or van), where they can take all the time they want to work on it.

*Must have adequate storage room for more than you currently own: I find that people who buy a gun safe to fit the amount of guns they currently have, end up buying more guns in the future, and then they are back in the same position they were before they bought a gun safe.

*shelving: room for handguns, ammo, and other non-firearm related valuables. You might find it's easier to place your most important documents inside the safe, that way you always know where they are.

*fire rating: though it's not a deal breaker if I find something for the right price, having a relatively high fire resistance rating would be a good thing. Chances are your house will never catch fire. I feel pretty confident saying that there are only a couple hundred to a few thousand house fires a year in the US, resulting in a few thousand deaths.

This is taken directly from the UCR :"■In 2008, there were an estimated 2,222,196 burglaries—an increase of 2.0 percent when compared with 2007 data."

That being said, clearly the main objective should be to hinder burglary, more so than putting such a great emphasis on a high fire resistance rating.

*Size: Yes, the bigger the better, which makes it hard to be carried off by burglars, but it has to be able to fit where you want to put it, and be of reasonable size for your home. You don't want to get a $10,000 75 rifle gun safe if you live in a 2 bed room apartment(unless you already have 75 rifles).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

I have a free idea!!!!!

Anyone looking for free firearm storage that is very safe??
    Give them to mee for safe keeping!!!

(Schuylkill County)

You also have to realize, a gun safe is an investment. The more you spend, the safer your items will be. When all of one's guns are stolen, and important papers gone, that $500(est) investment seems pretty meager when you lost $1000+ worth of stuff.

But I know what situation you are in. It's tough when you're in a situation like that. You want to do all you can, but can't necessarily afford to do it.

With the price you listed, it will most likely get you a steel cabinet (not fire rated, water proof, low security, etc). I wouldn't recommend settling for one unless the sole premise is to keep kids away from them. It may be alright if amateur thief broke in, and they didn't have the time or tools to pry it open... but overall, you still have to worry about fire and water damage. If you do, however, go with a gun cabinet, BOLT it down/to the wall. Cabinets have virtually no weight, and could easily be carried off premises for easier access to the contents inside.

But if you watch, you may be able to get a safe in around your price range. Look for sales at retailers, as well as checking for private sales, and public auctions. Even the basic safes offer fire/water protection, weight added onto the bolting-down factor, and most are at least moderately difficult to break into. Obviously some are still fairly easy to break into, and some are no safer than a cabinet, so you have to watch.

But best of luck to you... you will feel more at ease when you get one. And my honest opinion, save up a little bit more and get a safe from Tractor Supply, or a Stack-on from Dicks or something. For $50-150 more than your price you mentioned, you can get a half-decent safe. That extra $50 is well worth reward of having a decent safe.
    III%

ok thanks for all the suggestions, lots of good points i never thought of. Chances are i might suffer a little bit longer and save up a little bit more

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    like $200-$300
    For 300, you can get a good stack on 10 gun cabinet with the storage section on the left side for ammo, accessories, magazines, etc. I got mine for $290 at Cabellas. If you have one shipped to your place, you're gonna have to pay for the shipping which can be upwards of $30 easy. See about picking one up at Cabellas if you can swing it. I was able to fit the cabinet in the box of my Cherokee with room to spare when I took out the seat.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Safe CHEAP Gun Storage?

master lock makes a decent cable lock thats almost cut proof.
    a decent 8 bar safe at an office supply store.
    the idea is to lock all the long guns togeather to make them akward to steal and carry away.
    the 8 bar safe should be abt 1ft sq inside,this will hold all the handguns.

(Lebanon County)

Locks keep honest people out. A high dollar gun safe is the best bet but if you just want to get them out of sight and under some sort of lock you might be able to find a metal wardrobe closet with locking doors at a yard sale or thrift store for cheap. Those locks can be picked very quickly by anyone who knows what they're doing but it will keep the guns out of sight and if you put it in or near a closet it won't be as conspicuous as a cheap gun vault with locks that aren't quite as easy to pick.
    It's not a good long term option but it's better than nothing until you can afford something better. It's the "Out of sight out of mind" theory. If someone knows you have the guns and they want them they're going to get them. If it's a random burglary and the perps don't know what they might find there's a good chance they won't bother with extra clothes closet storage.
    Another plus is that if you have visitors such as nieces, nephews, or friends who don't know any better, it's better to have some deterrent in place than to have them out in the open.

Just a suggestion for a band-aid solution that you might get by with for $5.00 - $20.00 until you can afford to do it right.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

We all have our level of spending. I am finding out and I know of others who have found out that you can never have a big enough gun safe. that being said we all have the responsibility to keep our guns under lock.
    As a person in school and what you have listed a Stack on from dicks @ $189 that will only make 4/5 3/8's dia. holes is a great way to go.
    1st you are renting and you can fix these holes with almost no one knowing(Don't lag into a tile wall)
    2nd . You Will move in the near future and the REAL safes are quite a bear to relocate.
    3rd. When you get a real safe the stackon's make great ammo /parts/ everything else lockers.
    4th. You are doing something Now to protect the GP and your stuff. Remember that an "OK plan" put into action now is usually better Than a "Perfect Plan" put into action later.

Most folks know that the typical stack on and like locker will not stop a thief who is targeting your goods. It will delay the common in & out hit.
    IMO a stackon type is a great start. You also should have renters insurance and find if you need to "LIst " items or have a predetermined amount of coverage
    Good Luck

(Erie County)

One sheet of drywall, 3 or 4 2x4s. Build a removable false wall at the end of a closet. Don't tell anyone. SAFE!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast