Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool I convinced my girl that she should get a pistol! Now what?!?

Well after about two months of convincing my fiancée about carrying a gun I've finally convinced her that its a good idea. (actually it was because she found a CC purse she thought was "cute" blah! I feel so awkward saying that. lol and because she found out she could get pink grips) But, now she wants one of her own... So, where should her and I begin? She wants a wheelgun and she wants it hammerless . So far we've looked at S&W j-frames and the Taurus CIA series. Do any of you think that a .38 would be a bit much for a girl that's only 5' and weighs only 1ewutwe0g... sorry she just hit me lol jk... But does anyone one else have any suggestions from a different maker or caliber?

And she also wants to get some training... and I could use some too... It never hurts to gather as much knowledge as possible... Anyone know of any in the jefferson county area?

(Chester County)

Default Re: I convinced my girl that she should get a pistol! Now what?!?

How much shooting experience does she have?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northumberland County)

Reccomend you do what women love best...go shopping, you shouldn't have to twist her arm.

(Centre County)

You can also look at the Ruger SP101. It can be had in .38 Spec or .357 Mag in hammer or hammerless configuration. Very solid gun that will probably never wear out.

A 5 ft, ??? lb woman should have no problems handling a .38 snub.

First things first though, and you touched on it, get training, get a lot of range time, become completely familiar with whatever gun you get. I'm not from that area so someone else will have to chime in for the training stuff.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ASteele42 View Post
    Well after about two months of convincing my fiancée about carrying a gun I've finally convinced her that its a good idea. (actually it was because she found a CC purse she thought was "cute" blah!
    Not everyone agrees that purse carry is a good idea. It's something you'll want to look into.

So, where should her and I begin? She wants a wheelgun and she wants it hammerless . So far we've looked at S&W j-frames and the Taurus CIA series.
    Get her to some shops or preferably a gun show so she can handle some different models. It's good to get the gun in her hands so she can feel what she likes best.
    People can recommend brands/models, but she's really gotta "try" it. If she doesn't like it and won't shoot it, it doesn't matter how great the gun is.

Do any of you think that a .38 would be a bit much for a girl that's only 5' and weighs only 1ewutwe0g...
    No definitely not. My 95lb daughter can handle one easily. I think the .38sp is the ultimate "chick" gun. Most women like revolvers for their feel and simplicity. The .38sp has stopping power with a very manageable kick.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    How much shooting experience does she have?
    Not much. She's only shot my pistol which is a sig 226 in .40

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it all.

(Philadelphia County)

A 3" K-frame is a bit bigger, but not much heavier than an SP101. The difference between J and K trigger is pretty significant for me. Everyone is different but I would go with the K unless I really couldn't hide it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ASteele42 View Post
    Well after about two months of convincing my fiancée about carrying a gun I've finally convinced her that its a good idea. (actually it was because she found a CC purse she thought was "cute" blah! I feel so awkward saying that. lol and because she found out she could get pink grips) But, now she wants one of her own... So, where should her and I begin? She wants a wheelgun and she wants it hammerless . So far we've looked at S&W j-frames and the Taurus CIA series. Do any of you think that a .38 would be a bit much for a girl that's only 5' and weighs only 1ewutwe0g... sorry she just hit me lol jk... But does anyone one else have any suggestions from a different maker or caliber?

And she also wants to get some training... and I could use some too... It never hurts to gather as much knowledge as possible... Anyone know of any in the jefferson county area?
    Ruger LCR .38 Snub Nose, Lightweight, Hammerless, Excellent trigger. My girlfriend is considering getting a firearm and this is at the top of her list after handling most of the lightweight .38's

(Schuylkill County)

i would look for somethign in .357 titanium frame it is light you can put 125 grain JHP .38+p in it (nice low recoil) and it will stop just about any attack and ther is always the option of putting full power.357 in it too

and you can shoot cheap lead .38 target ammo to get her used to it..

i think if you go with the .357 over a .38 it is more desirable on the resale too .... when she decides to get a .45 compact glock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast