Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: I convinced my girl that she should get a pistol! Now what?!?

The S&W j frames are very nice and very controlable. Also, the new S&W Bodyguard series has a revolver standard with a laser. I haven't shot one yet, but I'm interested.

(Bucks County)

Don't piss her off..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjporreca View Post
    The S&W j frames are very nice and very controlable. Also, the new S&W Bodyguard series has a revolver standard with a laser. I haven't shot one yet, but I'm interested.
    +1 on whole statement.

I really enjoy my j frame. Easy to use and easy to carry. It's the gun I throw in my overnite bag whenever I go camping. (Glock comes on the hip!!)

Well last night she decided that she really wants look into an S&W 642. So now we have to go find one that she can fondle and play with. Hopefully she likes the way it feels... for some reason she really has her heart set on a smith. And does anyone here have experiences with charter arms wheel guns? she liked the pink lady and said she wanted to look at one. I've read they aren't that good though, so any info on those would be appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

You should have her look at the Ruger LCR. My girlfriend is thinking of getting a firearm with the same specs your is. We looked at most of the lightweight .38's and this one is on top. It's lightweight, hammerless, and the trigger is great. I looked online and so far nobody is making pink grips but I'm sure that will change.

(Lancaster County)

Why limit her to revolvers?

(Montgomery County)

As a disclaimer, I am a revolver guy. The only auto I would be caught carrying for defense would be my HK P7.

Revolvers are difficult to shoot well. Go to a good range like Classic Pistol in Southampton and rent a bunch of different types of guns. Or better yet, tag along to a group shoot and try as may different flavors of bangsticks as possible.

I consider snub nosed revolvers like the Smith 642 (I have one and carry it regularly) to be expert guns. Their trigger pulls are stiff, the recoil can be stout, the sights are primitive, the capacity is low and to reload you must disassemble the weapon. Consider all of this as an obstacle before teaching basic marksmanship.

For some reason many men look to revolvers as "ladies guns." I am not sure exactly why this is, yet it seems to be the stereotype. Question the stereotype, ask the hard questions. She may like the looks of the 642, but after putting 50 rounds through it in an hour she may never pick it up again.

Try before you buy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    Why limit her to revolvers?
    Its what she wants. And what the woman wants, she gets. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    As a disclaimer, I am a revolver guy. The only auto I would be caught carrying for defense would be my HK P7.

Revolvers are difficult to shoot well. Go to a good range like Classic Pistol in Southampton and rent a bunch of different types of guns. Or better yet, tag along to a group shoot and try as may different flavors of bangsticks as possible.

I consider snub nosed revolvers like the Smith 642 (I have one and carry it regularly) to be expert guns. Their trigger pulls are stiff, the recoil can be stout, the sights are primitive, the capacity is low and to reload you must disassemble the weapon. Consider all of this as an obstacle before teaching basic marksmanship.

For some reason many men look to revolvers as "ladies guns." I am not sure exactly why this is, yet it seems to be the stereotype. Question the stereotype, ask the hard questions. She may like the looks of the 642, but after putting 50 rounds through it in an hour she may never pick it up again.

Try before you buy.
    What would you suggest for a good gun for a beginner? Personally I'd like to get her a .357 for reason of being able to shoot .38's out of it for her and .357's when I'm feelin a little froggy. Or would you say that's a bad idea? And its not that I think revolvers are ladies guns its what she wants. She just doesn't like the look of autos or the fact that that there's always the possibilty of a jam.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    You should have her look at the Ruger LCR. My girlfriend is thinking of getting a firearm with the same specs your is. We looked at most of the lightweight .38's and this one is on top. It's lightweight, hammerless, and the trigger is great. I looked online and so far nobody is making pink grips but I'm sure that will change.
    We haven't looked at them yet we'll have to check them out.
    Last edited by SigSauer226; May 11th, 2010 at 10:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

#1 A .38 is definitely not too much for any woman, especially if she has or can develop some hand strength.
    #2 The hammerless handgun will be her second handgun. The first should be one she can learn to shoot with and that should be learning single action first, then learn to shoot double action.
    #3 This is all just my opinion but I have been teaching men and women, civilians and police for a long time. Unfortunately I do not teach in Jefferson County.
    Good luck. Maybe you can find a range where she can try out a couple of guns before buying one.

(Northampton County)

Had a similar situation with my girlfriend. She wasn't quite comfortable with a .38spl yet so we started with a .22LR to get her familiar with a revolver and some shooting experience, then she shot the .32acp revolver which she really liked and what she will most likely purchase. Still not as comfortable with a .38spl but i would rather have her carry something she feels good with then the caliber i would want her to carry....so dont limit yourself to a .38spl/ .357, if shes not going to enjoy/feel safe shooting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast