Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default SA Service Target Opinions

I've never owned a Springfield Armory 1911 or anything from Springfield for that matter but I was at a local shop and something caught my eye. The Service Target which is manufacturer number PX9152LP to be exact. I fell in love with the finish immediately but decided to take a couple of steps back before I bought the gun on looks alone. So, if you own one or have shot one, what do you think? I currently own and have owned in the past several 1991's from Officer's to Government size and from Wilson Combat to Colt. Any opinion you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time.
    Those who fear the coming of all Hells
    are those who should be feared themselves.

Default Re: SA Service Target Opinions

i'm a huge SA fan, and would recommend any of their models.

With that said a few of the loaded models are a tad pricey, and not all that far off from the TRP which is one of the best values in the 1911 game. They usually run between about 1100-1350 new, depending on the finish.

(Butler County)

I have a 9mm XD. Love it. Only disapointment was finding out the oldest US armory is out sourcing to Croatia. Still excellent quality and would not hesitate to buy Springfield again

(Chester County)

Thanks so far. Just to clarify also, I am buying the pistol mainly for the finish. I know there are other more reliable guns in the 1911 format from SA but I want this finish in particular. I just want to know I'm not buying a glorified paperweight. I will shoot it plenty at the range so I want it to be reliable but it's not going to be for carry.
    Those who fear the coming of all Hells
    are those who should be feared themselves.

It'll shoot, and if it doesn't SA will make it shoot for free.

I say go for it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    I have a 9mm XD. Love it. Only disapointment was finding out the oldest US armory is out sourcing to Croatia. Still excellent quality and would not hesitate to buy Springfield again
    Actually the company calling itself "Springfield Armory" has nothing to do with the US govt. Armory at Springfield , Mass. , its just a private compaNY USING THE NAME AND lOGO , it is not the original Springfield armory, just like Federal express is not a Federal agency or the Federal reserve is not a Federal bank.

The Gun known today as the Springfield XD is nothing but a HS 2000 imported from Croatia in in the 80's-90's, they didnt reallly sell untill Springfield becomes the importer and put "thier name" and Logo on it.

If you're upset about the XD's being "outsourced" then you should be upset that all thier 1911 slides and frames are made in Brazil, some of the high end ones are finished here, that passes fdor "maDE IN USA"

Welcome to the Global economy.
    Last edited by mrnyman; May 10th, 2010 at 07:22 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodfink View Post
    I've never owned a Springfield Armory 1911 or anything from Springfield for that matter but I was at a local shop and something caught my eye. The Service Target which is manufacturer number PX9152LP to be exact. I fell in love with the finish immediately but decided to take a couple of steps back before I bought the gun on looks alone. So, if you own one or have shot one, what do you think? I currently own and have owned in the past several 1991's from Officer's to Government size and from Wilson Combat to Colt. Any opinion you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time.
    I actually got the chance to shoot this exact model last week at the range. A guy showed up who had one. I was shooting my XD9 V 10. I let him shoot a few mags through mine, and he let me shoot his. It was a thing of beauty. If you are buying for the finish you'd be in good shape, it is a beautiful gun. Shot like a nice, well built 1911 too, as damn well it should. Just touching it gave me 1911 fever. Supernastysexytime, that's all I have to say.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here