Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Glock Factory Refurb Disaster

I bought a G27 some time ago, used. It needed some TLC and a paint job. Mechanically the gun was perfect but it was worn, being relatively inexpensive I thought it would be a fun project gun so I commenced with the Duracoat. It turned out pretty bad, the stuff just sucks big time. I tried Durabake as well, the junk just left it glossy and, again, chipping. In the process I managed to melt about $3 worth of small parts in the slide. I stripped it bare, reordered a complete set of internal components, reassembled and decided to look into the Glock factory refurb program.

A phone call revealed that for a total of $103 I could have the slide refinished and the receiver replaced, great. Off went my pistol, a check and instructions via UPS requesting a certification of destruction of the old receiver and return to my FFL. (Feb 19th).

Fast forward to about March 25th: I get a phone call from "Fred" at Glock requesting that I contact him with my FFL's information so they can ship it back to me. I give Fred a call back (several times) but cannot get anything but voicemail, so I leave a detailed message regarding my FFL's information and what I need from him so that I can have it transferred back to me in NY. I get no call back.

Fast forward again to April 7th: I get a call from an unknown Customer Service employee who tells me that he needs a copy of my dealer's FFL. I inform him that he has it on file, as my dealer is a Glock dealer, he tells me he will call me back, which he does, about 30 minutes later, but he leaves no number, extension or name. He never calls back again. In return I call and request a supervisor,and explain the whole situation. I give him my FFL's information and he assures me that he will handle it. I never hear from him again.

Fast forward to April 21st: I call up the factory again, and get some guy who adamantly denies that Glock has ANY FFL's on file for their dealers and demands that I have it faxed to some random fax number on the factory floor. I tell him that he is wrong and give him my FFL's information. He calls and speaks to my FFL, twice, who tells him exactly what I told him, that they have it on file with the proper office and that he is not faxing another copy. They appear to resolve the situation, I talk to my dealer and wait for a call from Glock to confirm everything is OK...nothing.

Fast forward to May 6th: I call the factory again, explain the situation and get a service rep who not only believes that the FFL's are on file but knows that the policy is to access them in their database, not request that they be faxed to the factory AND he is familiar with my dealer. He assures me that he will be handling the situation, and that he will call me back by end of business on the 6th or early in the day on the 7th with a resolution.

As of this writing, my check has not been cashed, the UPS package tracked into their address and they (Glock) acknowledge receipt on March 4th.

I'm going to give it to the end of the week, call one more time and tell them that if they don't sort this out and have my gun and the proper paperwork in the mail within 5 business days that I am calling ATF and reporting it stolen through my local PD...

Thoughts?

ETA: Just to clarify, if any of these reps took the time to call me back after "researching" and informed me that a copy of the FFL was still needed they would have it. As of yet, no one has bothered to call me back with any instructions or information either way.
    Last edited by emsjeep; May 10th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock Factory Refurb Disaster

I am sorry that I do not have any insight to add to your horrible sequence of events...

All I can really do is shake my head and think... wtf? Really? For 4 people in a row to drop the ball you gotta have my kind of luck. (Horrible)

That seems like one messy situation. Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I am sorry that I do not have any insight to add to your horrible sequence of events...

All I can really do is shake my head and think... wtf? Really? For 4 people in a row to drop the ball you gotta have my kind of luck. (Horrible)
    5 if this last guy doesn't call me back....I tend to have really bad luck with this kind of stuff...if it can go wrong, it will go wrong with me. On the up side, I have learned to plan for the worst and not expect too much.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

perhaps their retail dept and sales dept have separate record databases? Sounds to me it could have been solved w/ a fax from your FFL.

(Jefferson County)

Isn't there a song about how sometimes the easiest thing to do is just fax a copy of your dealer's FFL?

Can't think of the artist, though.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    perhaps their retail dept and sales dept have separate record databases? Sounds to me it could have been solved w/ a fax from your FFL.
    Both my dealer and the last guy I spoke with seemed to think that they have access. My dealer has done this before without faxing the factory...I don't know. If someone calls me back and says, "Listen, I looked into it, we don't have access, could you please have them fax it over," then fine. Instead, no one has followed up.

I'm willing to wait until they unfuck themselves just on principle at this point.
    Last edited by emsjeep; May 10th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    I'm willing to wait until they unfuck themselves just on principle at this point.
    Really? That wasn't the impression I got for some reason.

I'm going to give it to the end of the week, call one more time and tell them that if they don't sort this out and have my gun and the proper paperwork in the mail within 5 business days that I am calling ATF and reporting it stolen through my local PD...

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    Really? That wasn't the impression I got for some reason.
    No one says I can't motivate them...

The thing is, I don't know if my dealer is willing to play their game. I want the gun back, but more so because I'm starting to doubt that they actually have it, rather than me having a specific need for it. The process of talking my dealer into caving to their lazy BS, or having to go to another shop, and then explaining to my usual guy how I got the gun back, is just more work than I think I should have to go through. Its not just a matter of running a piece of paper through a fax machine.

Both my dealer and the last guy I spoke with seemed to think that they have access. My dealer has done this before without faxing the factory...I don't know. If someone calls me back and says, "Listen, I looked into it, we don't have access, could you please have them fax it over," then fine. Instead, no one has followed up.

I personally could still toss that up to them having their shipping dept set up to be aimed more at speed/efficiency than anything else. When you start assigning reps to each case you will get better quality in situations like this, but overall much shorter speeds. There also could have been a simple policy change where they now require the faxed FFL, so your FFL was right and so where the reps you talked to.

Either way i'd have started shopping for a new FFL as soon as he said he wouldn't fax it to glock-- I could see not wanting to fax it to joe smoe but at the point he tells glock no he isn't helping anyone. I just don't know I'd blame glock, or their rouge reps when they all told you the same thing, and time and time again they were told no.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast