Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default Smith & Wesson Model 22A Sight ??????

I’m looking to replace the stock sights on my S&W 22A with something better. My eyesight is not what it use to be and these sights are a little hard for me to pick up. I have looked online but I am having no luck. Does any one have any experience with this gun that may be able point me in the rite direction. I am trying to stay with open sights on this gun. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by plumbcrazy; May 9th, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson Model 22A Sight ??????

I replaced my 22A sights with a Red Dot optic. Not open but not a scope either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Chester County)

I put a Holographic on mine:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=179627

Made a lot of difference and fit on existing 22A rails - no problem.
    IANAL

(Westmoreland County)

Either options that are posted above are probably the best and cheapest route to go. The other alternative is to order the barrel from S&W with a High Viz FO sight for $158 if you really want to use open iron sights. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...roductId=12913

I have a BSA red dot on my 22a for the same aging eyes issue and picked up a cheap nc star D4RGB for less than $50 but haven't tried it yet. The TruGlow at Midway is a decent sight too for the $$ and they seem to go on sale a few times a year.

Not to hijack your thread but...what ammo does your 22a like (function & accuracy) and Lastmanout - how do you like the the wooden grips? Are they worth the cost?

(Lehigh County)

I like the grip stocks on my 22A. I was using the gun for Bullseye Target League shooting and it helped me 'register' the gun in my hand better than the factory set.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Throwin Lead View Post
    Either options that are posted above are probably the best and cheapest route to go. The other alternative is to order the barrel from S&W with a High Viz FO sight for $158 if you really want to use open iron sights. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...roductId=12913

I have a BSA red dot on my 22a for the same aging eyes issue and picked up a cheap nc star D4RGB for less than $50 but haven't tried it yet. The TruGlow at Midway is a decent sight too for the $$ and they seem to go on sale a few times a year.

Not to hijack your thread but...what ammo does your 22a like (function & accuracy) and Lastmanout - how do you like the the wooden grips? Are they worth the cost?
    +1 on this. A cheap red dot will be more cost effective than new irons. Seems counter-intuitive, but its true. And the cheapo TruGlo red dot sights aren't as bad as they would seem for the price. I have one on my Ruger MKIII that works like a charm, and I got it on sale at Dicks for less than $25. It holds zero pretty well while its on the gun, taking it on and off is a different story, but what do you expect for something for that price?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Columbia County)

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwin Lead View Post

I would think since HI VIS makes the front sight Smith & Wesson puts on these guns you would be able to pick one up from them but that is not the case. So after reading all the replies im thinking that a red dot is the only option I have. Since I picked the 22a up at a friends of the NRA dinner for 20$ im not looking to spend a lot of money on it. As far as the NcSTAR line of optics I have a NcStar MARK III Tactical 3-9X42 Mil Dot Reticle scope on my AR 15 that I picked up for around 100$ and I have no issues with it at all. I also have an NcStar DDAB TACTICAL RED DOT Sight with INTEGRATED WEAVER MOUNT I had also tried on my AR and on my 22A can you say JUNK. As for ammo the only thing I have tried so far was Winchester super X 37 grain high velocity and I have no complaints but I have less than 100 rounds threw it so far

Save your money and stay away from this one NcStar DDAB TACTICAL RED DOT Sight with INTEGRATED WEAVER MOUNT

First time reaching out to 300 yards with the NcStar scope not a bad scope for the price
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plumbcrazy; May 10th, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added pic

(Westmoreland County)

This is the nc star optic I mentioned.

I don't doubt that they are on the low end as far as optic go. As I have said in my earlier post I have yet to give it a try. Maybe I'll mount it this week get it zeroed in and see how well it works or doesn't. What issues did you experience with your NC star sight?

When I saw the Hi Viz FO /barrel combo I called SW and asked about buying just the Hi Viz site. They said it wasn't available and that the front sight can't be replaced - if I wanted a FO sight I had to buy the sight/barrel combo. I bought the BSA red dot a few days after that phone call.

Maybe give the TruGlow a try or paint the front sight some color you can pick up easily?

(Columbia County)

Well I mounted the ncstar red dot on the side of my scope and when I tried to use it i could not see the dot at all the sun would drowned it out. And there are no brightness setting on this model at all. It probably would work at dusk or at night.

hey i bought my S&W 22A-1 at a pawn shop with a Reddot attached. when i went to shoot it with iron sights, voila... no rear sight. would any of you advanced optics guys pleez sell me your rear sight for a good price... $20 or so? i am old school, i enjoy shooting my Dad's Higgens 22 revolver from the 60s, and just want to practice my sight alignment the old way. bruce 770-632-1111 btw... the Reddot is a lot of fun! wow, nice optics.