Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Hollow-point NO GOOD FOR CONCEAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Thank you for the advice. See I learn something new everyday. So, now I will change my .38 ammo for carry.
    Again, thank you!
    There are several decent .38 carry loads available; I just mentioned one (a reliable one, since it banks 100% on penetration). It won't be pleasant to shoot, though.

My point was that .38 in general is iffy at best. You can do better or worse within .38, but modern 9mm is a full quantum plateau better.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    There are several decent .38 carry loads available; I just mentioned one (a reliable one, since it banks 100% on penetration). It won't be pleasant to shoot, though.

My point was that .38 in general is iffy at best. You can do better or worse within .38, but modern 9mm is a full quantum plateau better.

I usually alternate my carry. Sometimes .38 sometimes .9mm.
    From now on I am going to carry the .9mm and always leave the .38 home for my son. It should be great for home defense. If he doesn't get you with the star or the butterfly knife first. Hes excellent with his hands and martial arts weapons. But I still like the gun for him for protection.
    My .38 doesn't swallow +P, and its not recommended, thats why I used the hollows.
    What brand do you recommend for the .38 for carry.?
    What brand do you recommend for the .9mm for carry?
    Thanks.

(Bucks County)

What brand do you recommend for the .38 for carry.?
    What brand do you recommend for the .9mm for carry?
    Thanks.

I don't carry a revolver, so I haven't really studied that question. However, with .38 (esp w/ no +P option) and .380, you have the same trade-offs of penetration OR expansion, but not both.

I personally would just load 158-grain lead semiwadcutter bullets, and take my chances. Hornady XTP might give you a little of each. Start here for some background:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/pocket_dynomite/

...note that most of the better rounds required +P. Note that this is just some article on the Internet -- never take the first thing you read as gospel.

9mm

Here you have several options, although you rapidly run into the "heavy and slower vs light and faster" debate.

You can't go wrong with Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre, Federal HST.

My PERSONAL (aka subjective) guidelines:

1. I stick with 124gr and 147 gr; I think 115gr is a little too light to penetrate reliably.
    2. With modern HPs, 9mm (unlike .38) does not need the extra velocity (hence recoil and poorer shootability) of +P, so I only buy standard pressure HPs.
    3. Because of '2' I don't bother with manufacturers such as Cor-bon (who do make an excellent product, it must be said) that are premised on super high velocity.
    4. Frangible rounds -- Glaser, Magsafe -- are gimmicks that do not penetrate nearly enough for self defense.
    5. Federal Hydrashok is an obsolete round, and has been surpassed. People still regard it fondly, but that's nostalgia, not factual.
    6. Federal Hi-shok is a decent but also obsolete round that has a specific, valuable niche: its hollowpoint shape is not aggressive so it will feed reliably in many older guns that wouldn't feed newer rounds. So if you had an older, say, S&W or BHP that won't take Gold Dots, you could fall back to Hi-shoks and still use the gun. But all modern pistols will feed modern HPs.
    7. When I chose a self defense round, I bought a bunch and tested them thoroughly for reliability and feeding in all my carry guns. This is an expensive proposition, so I limited myself to just a few.

I carry only:

- Speer Gold Dot 124 gr or 147gr standard pressure, or
    - Winchester Ranger T in 147 gr standard pressure.

I personally think the Ranger T is a better round, but I still have a stockpile of the GD which I had bought earlier. I trust either round, but will over time shoot out the GD and replace it with the Ranger T. By then, the Ranger T will have been superseded and something better is in vogue. Thus my stockpile of carry ammo will usually be one brand from leading edge. But I'm ok with that.
    Last edited by dgg9; September 28th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Here you have several options, although you rapidly run into the "heavy and slower vs light and faster" debate.
    Thanks for your thorough advice, dgg9! I too need it and will use it for my 9mm Kahr.

rand

Thank you for the advice, really.
    I have to rethink/redo/reload.
    I appreciate you taking the time to take this apart for me and show me the way!

Thank you for the advice, really.
    I have to rethink/redo/reload.
    I appreciate you taking the time to take this apart for me and show me the way!
    there are alot of websites that have the FBI ballistics tests and recommendations, its a bit of a long read but not to to long and very well worth it... i believe marcs is one of the people who gave it to me, perhaps you should PM him and ask if noone else puts out the link soon.... but you really should have atleast somewhat of an idea of what that bullet is doing and you can also then pick the ammo right for you..

also if you switch to FMJ in 38 make sure you get a hot load as many FMJs are loaded down because they assume they are for target practice(shows u the misconception of hollowpoints are right for every gun and situation) and in turn can be made and sold a little cheaper

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    there are alot of websites that have the FBI ballistics tests and recommendations,
    Sure, BUT:

1. Any ballistics study over 10 years old is very obsolete. Studies from 20 years ago are hopelessly obsolete when it comes to specific brand name picks. Some general concepts are enduring, but the "current best picks" list will vary constantly.

2. LE requirements for pistol ammo diverge from citizen self defense in many ways. They make concessions in some areas to boost performance in auto-glass penetration and the like, which have little or no value to personal CCW. Just keep that in mind.

there are alot of websites that have the FBI ballistics tests and recommendations, its a bit of a long read but not to to long and very well worth it... i believe marcs is one of the people who gave it to me, perhaps you should PM him and ask if noone else puts out the link soon.... but you really should have atleast somewhat of an idea of what that bullet is doing and you can also then pick the ammo right for you..

also if you switch to FMJ in 38 make sure you get a hot load as many FMJs are loaded down because they assume they are for target practice(shows u the misconception of hollowpoints are right for every gun and situation) and in turn can be made and sold a little cheaper
    I am going to pm him. Thanks!
    Hot Load? Can you explain a little further?
    I do have some FJS for my .38. I wonder if they are sufficient. There is a difference with the hollow and the ball in my gun. The gun is punchy for me to begin with, when I put the hollows through, WOW! they hurt. Hollows are something I wouldn't use at the range for practice. They just hurt too much. The FMJs are more comfortable.
    Actually, I don't care what ammo I use. And expense isn't really an issue. As long as it has the stopping power I need.
    Thanks for your help!

ballistics tests that have to do with a certain brand name of tests are usually out of date by the time they come out.. But she still needs to find out what bullets are doing, why they do it, and whats best for what situation and whats best for that caliber.

(Bucks County)

ballistics tests that have to do with a certain brand name of tests are usually out of date by the time they come out.. But she still needs to find out what bullets are doing, why they do it, and whats best for what situation and whats best for that caliber.
    Which is why it's important to find ballistics studies no more than 5 years old.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast