Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Hollow-point NO GOOD FOR CONCEAL?

good idea XD45, i just started this thread on Ammunition and Reloading chat,, see ya there..

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Hollow-point NO GOOD FOR CONCEAL?

I may be wrong but I thought the 9mm was designed for use in sub machine guns for more manageable recoil and high mag capacity. I also remember hearing that the most effective 9mm pistol rounds were lighter bullet weight (115gr) +p+ but suffered over penetration at close range. I have 3, 9mm guns and use Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot hoping the heaver bullet will not over penetrate. My wife likes the 9mm not to much recoil full size Taurus and HI Power.

(Northampton County)

9mm came out in 1902. I don't know how many submachineguns were around at that time but there were pistols chambered for it.

If self defense is your reason for having the gun then hollow points are what you want to load it with. I would say the heavier 147 gr bullets are better. Check out Double tap & Buffalobore for +P loads. I'm not a Corbon fan. Get a stronger recoil spring & a steel guide rod for that Glock. I do like the heavier bullets in any given caliber.

I would not be overly preoccupied with overpenetration. If you ever need to use your piece you need to think about collateral damage / other people BUT you are not likely to be attacked while in a crowd. It is more likely to happen away from other people.

If you carried a .380 or .32 I would say use ball ammo.....anything bigger use hollowpoints. I don't believe the less powerfull calibers have enough velocity / sectional density to give the required penetration & expand a hollow point.

9mm / .223 / 7.62x39 (AK) were designed to maim and wound and have 2
    people get tied up carrying the guy off the battlefield
    I thought the .223 was designed as a sporting round. I'll have to check. As far as 7.62x39...it seems to be a decent stopper & killer.

(Montgomery County)

I think I read some actual source of fact that more people die from a .22 shot than any other caliber.... Sort of goes to defeat the whole underpowered 9mm arguments...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I think I read some actual source of fact that more people die from a .22 shot than any other caliber.... Sort of goes to defeat the whole underpowered 9mm arguments...
    I've read that too...don't recall where though.
    I'd suggest more people die from .22 rounds because .22's are so plentiful. For gangbangers, they're small and cheap.

As far as hollowpoints, as long as your gun feeds them reliably, they're fine for CCW. I use Speer Gold Dot...work well in two of my guns (G17 and G19), not so well in another one.

As far as 9mm vs. .45 ACP...if the round stops the fight, I'm OK with that. I don't care if the assailant is wounded or killed...I'm just trying to stop the attack.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; September 28th, 2007 at 09:53 AM.

(Clinton County)

Back in the 60s and before most shooting deaths were with a .22 simply because a lot more people were shot with .22s than any other cal, the reason was that most everybody had a .22.

With the rise in drugs and urban gangs with money better guns are commonly used today and I believe 9mm is most common in gang shootings that cause most fatalities these days.

(Westmoreland County)

This is off topic. My apologies to the OP.

All handgun bullets are puny. None of them have the terminal ballistics of rounds that are normally chambered in rifles. Arguing about handgun bullet calibers is like arguing about the differences between porterhouse, t-bone, and filet mignon. Anyone who has seen a demonstration using ballistic gelatin will tell you that there is a bigger difference between bullet designs than there is between bullet sizes. My bullet is bigger than your bullet has been debated ad nauseum over the internet as well as every gun rag ever printed. Nothing has ever been solved because there is nothing to solve. Let's give it a rest.

To the OP: Use hollow points. The Geneva Convention outlawed the use of hollow point ammunition as inhumane. Supposedly it is more humane to shoot an enemy soldier with ball ammunition and let them suffer in the field if medical help is not eminent rather than to die quickly from multiple hits with hollow point bullets. These rules do not apply in Pennsylvania. Good hollow point ammunition will tend to put a damper on a bad guy's day quicker than ball ammo. The most important thing is to seek training so that you can deploy your weapon in a timely fashion and do (or not do) what need be done. Training trumps cool gear every time.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Erie County)

I'd use hollowpoints in any caliber pistol that fed them reliably, and ball in those that don't. I feel that reliable function is more important than the type of bullet.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigirl Hunter View Post
    9mm was designed to maim and wound on the battlefield. same with .223
    Sorry, this is 100% misinformation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigirl Hunter View Post
    Our troops in Irag are DEMANDING a higher powered round, i respect there experience, they get fired on everyday almost, we dont, well unless you are married
    1. Do you have a cite for this?
    2. Military is carry FMJ, so their experiences have zero, nothing, nada to do with someone carrying modern premium HP ammo.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast