Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Review of my S&W 15-22.

This is my review of the S&W 15-22, which is based on the AR-15 but it fires .22 LR cartridges. I bought this rifle back in October 2009, it's the first firearm I ever owned. When I first took it to the range for the first time I had FTF's and FTE's every 5 or so rounds. So I sent it back to S&W for repairs. I got it back in 2 weeks with a free magazine for my troubles. The second time I took the rifle out I put 400+ rounds through it with maybe 2-3 FTF's which seemed to be caused by the ammo. At the range I was hitting the center of the paper targets at 30 yards with just the basic iron sights. At this point I was pleased with the performance and reliability.

The last time I took the rifle out in 2009 was in December. It was an outdoor range and the temperature was around 15* F. This time the gun started to act up again. I had several failure to ejects, it was so bad we just left after 20-30 minutes. Looking back I realized the failure of the gun was caused by my user error. First after asking around I discovered that I used too much gun oil on the internal parts and the gun oil was not the proper type for that weather. At that time I didn't know multiple gun oils existed for different environments even though it makes sense now. Second this .22 rifle is sensitive to the type of ammo you feed it. The first two times I fed this rifle Federal Spit Fire Super High Velocity (1500 FPS/Hollow Points). The third time I fed the rifle CCI Mini-Mag's (1260 FPS/Hollow Points). This gun hates that ammo for some reason. Some owners of this rifle feel that really high velocity ammo is the way to go and someone at the range told me that some .22 rifles do not like hollow point ammo, I don't know what to believe but I am sticking with the Spit Fire ammo for now on.

Yesterday was the first time this year I took this rifle out. A few weeks before I cleaned the gun up and only lightly coated the internal components with a rag. When I had it out on the range I tried the CCI ammo one more time, and I had the FTE problem again. So I will save this ammo for when I buy my .22 pistol. I went back to the Spit Fire and expect 2-3 FTE's over 220 shots fired the gun performed flawlessly. It a fun gun to shoot and very accurate I feel. I noticed between me and my father the gun shoots a bit low so I am still tinkering with the sights.

Overall I recommend the rifle for anyone who likes the AR-15 platform but doesn't have the big money to buy the real deal, while this rifle is very similar to the AR-15 it doesn't have every feature the real deal has but the controls IMO are very similar. This is why I bought the rifle because the AR-15 is my favorite rifle and thats what I want to own someday. But at $500 what do you expect? Just some advice make sure you get one of the more recently build MP 15-22's because they seem to have worked most of the bugs out on the newer models, mine was an early model.

Anyway here is a picture:

Some shots I took at a target yesterday at 50 feet:

Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Review of my S&W 15-22.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    This is my review of the S&W 15-22, which is based on the AR-15 but it fires .22 LR cartridges. I bought this rifle back in October 2009, it's the first firearm I ever owned. When I first took it to the range for the first time I had FTF's and FTE's every 5 or so rounds. So I sent it back to S&W for repairs. I got it back in 2 weeks with a free magazine for my troubles. The second time I took the rifle out I put 400+ rounds through it with maybe 2-3 FTF's which seemed to be caused by the ammo. At the range I was hitting the center of the paper targets at 30 yards with just the basic iron sights. At this point I was pleased with the performance and reliability.

The last time I took the rifle out in 2009 was in December. It was an outdoor range and the temperature was around 15* F. This time the gun started to act up again. I had several failure to ejects, it was so bad we just left after 20-30 minutes. Looking back I realized the failure of the gun was caused by my user error. First after asking around I discovered that I used too much gun oil on the internal parts and the gun oil was not the proper type for that weather. At that time I didn't know multiple gun oils existed for different environments even though it makes sense now. Second this .22 rifle is sensitive to the type of ammo you feed it. The first two times I fed this rifle Federal Spit Fire Super High Velocity (1500 FPS/Hollow Points). The third time I fed the rifle CCI Mini-Mag's (1260 FPS/Hollow Points). This gun hates that ammo for some reason. Some owners of this rifle feel that really high velocity ammo is the way to go and someone at the range told me that some .22 rifles do not like hollow point ammo, I don't know what to believe but I am sticking with the Spit Fire ammo for now on.

Yesterday was the first time this year I took this rifle out. A few weeks before I cleaned the gun up and only lightly coated the internal components with a rag. When I had it out on the range I tried the CCI ammo one more time, and I had the FTE problem again. So I will save this ammo for when I buy my .22 pistol. I went back to the Spit Fire and expect 2-3 FTE's over 220 shots fired the gun performed flawlessly. It a fun gun to shoot and very accurate I feel. I noticed between me and my father the gun shoots a bit low so I am still tinkering with the sights.

Overall I recommend the rifle for anyone who likes the AR-15 platform but doesn't have the big money to buy the real deal, while this rifle is very similar to the AR-15 it doesn't have every feature the real deal has but the controls IMO are very similar. This is why I bought the rifle because the AR-15 is my favorite rifle and thats what I want to own someday. But at $500 what do you expect? Just some advice make sure you get one of the more recently build MP 15-22's because they seem to have worked most of the bugs out on the newer models, mine was an early model.

Anyway here is a picture:

Some shots I took at a target yesterday at 50 feet:

I also have s S&W M&P 15-22, When i bought the rifle the gun shop sold me remington golden 22 they are not even recommended for this rifle, cci mini-mags work alot better and are recommended by S&W, I also tried federals from wallmart (value pack) hollow points, and they worked perfect, no problems at all, check your manuel as it should have what to use and not to use, I just bought the S&W
    15-22p, have not shot it yet but will use the recommended ammo in the manuel, to see what wortks the best,

(York County)

Sounds like you bought one of the earliest versions. My SIG has no problems eating hollow points, and I rarely have a FTF or FTE. Possibly be a mag issue?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    Sounds like you bought one of the earliest versions. My SIG has no problems eating hollow points, and I rarely have a FTF or FTE. Possibly be a mag issue?
    I brought an earlier version of the S&W22 last Oct. didn't shoot it until a few weeks ago. I used Federal value packs from walmart and after 500 rds not a single problem. that same day i also shot my Sig 522 swat and same results not a single problem. I do like the styling of the Sig better. The only problem I have with the sig, is loading the mag is a bitch.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by harley104 View Post
    I also have s S&W M&P 15-22, When i bought the rifle the gun shop sold me remington golden 22 they are not even recommended for this rifle, cci mini-mags work alot better and are recommended by S&W, I also tried federals from wallmart (value pack) hollow points, and they worked perfect, no problems at all, check your manuel as it should have what to use and not to use, I just bought the S&W
    15-22p, have not shot it yet but will use the recommended ammo in the manuel, to see what wortks the best,
    I was on the S&W forums researching the rifle and people said CCI Mini-Mag and Federal Spit Fires work the best but for some reason the rifle has FTE's whenever I load the CCI ammo. The only difference between the CCI and Federal is the CCI has a lower velocity. The only reason I bought the CCI because at the time Wal-Mart didn't have any Federal bulk left over.

In fact I did. I specifically waited until my birthday in October because I heard the later models didn't have the issues of the early models. However Gander Mountain sold me one that was made back at the end of June. Another theory I heard was the magazine but now that I have the rifle cleaned up, and loaded with the Federal it works just fine even with the same magazines. So I am at a lost to what really caused the problem.

(York County)

I was on the S&W forums researching the rifle and people said CCI Mini-Mag and Federal Spit Fires work the best but for some reason the rifle has FTE's whenever I load the CCI ammo. The only difference between the CCI and Federal is the CCI has a lower velocity. The only reason I bought the CCI because at the time Wal-Mart didn't have any Federal bulk left over.

In fact I did. I specifically waited until my birthday in October because I heard the later models didn't have the issues of the early models. However Gander Mountain sold me one that was made back at the end of June. Another theory I heard was the magazine but now that I have the rifle cleaned up, and loaded with the Federal it works just fine even with the same magazines. So I am at a lost to what really caused the problem.

Lower powered round + brand new gun probably equals your FTE problem.

Loading the SIG mags is a pain...I bought some Black Dog's and they work great, but the loading thumb-pain isn't really helped at all. Someone needs to make GSG-style mags for the SIG. Just a thought...

(Pike County)

Lower powered round + brand new gun probably equals your FTE problem.

Loading the SIG mags is a pain...I bought some Black Dog's and they work great, but the loading thumb-pain isn't really helped at all. Someone needs to make GSG-style mags for the SIG. Just a thought...
    By my estimates I put about 750-1000 rounds through this rifle. I am still new to firearms but I would think this is past the break in period. However I can understand the lower powered round being problematic, probably not enough gas/pressure hitting the bolt to discharge the spent casing/load the new round. The mag's that came with my S&W are easy to load, but per the information I learned from other 15-22 owners I only load one round at a time. I pull the spring down just enough to get one round in and I make sure it's in properly. Not painful to load but a bit time consuming. BTW, does your SIG have a metal magazine or a plastic/polymer mag?

I piddled around with these and Wound up just going with the CMMG .22 KIT

I have around 3100 rounds through it so far with less than a Dozen FTE/FTF.
    Mini-mag or 40gr Solid bullets only though.

As for the SIG/CMMG/Blackdog mags.
    Ring on a string works fast. THeres a youtube video showing the conversion.

(Lehigh County)

By my estimates I put about 750-1000 rounds through this rifle. I am still new to firearms but I would think this is past the break in period. However I can understand the lower powered round being problematic, probably not enough gas/pressure hitting the bolt to discharge the spent casing/load the new round. The mag's that came with my S&W are easy to load, but per the information I learned from other 15-22 owners I only load one round at a time. I pull the spring down just enough to get one round in and I make sure it's in properly. Not painful to load but a bit time consuming. BTW, does your SIG have a metal magazine or a plastic/polymer mag?
    Eh... 750-1000 rounds is nothing for a 22LR. My Sig Mosquito (purchased in January of this year) has about 9k through it at this time. It has definitely become much more reliable with age / round count. At 750-1000 rounds I would assume that the major problems are ironed out; however, reliability will probably still increase as you shoot it more.

On another note, what type of lube/oil are you using?

I've thought about getting a conversions kit for my AR-15; however, from what I've read the MP 15/22 is more accurate than most conversion kits that go on AR's with fast twist barrels (mine is 1:8). I guess I could go with a dedicated upper; however, I'd rather have a complete gun... and the MP 15/22 fits that bill nicely. The controls seem very nice, and it would be a good gun to teach new / younger shooters with (lightweight). Actually... my mom would probably love the MP 15/22...

Hokkmike Guest

Thanks for the review. Nicely done. I considered one. Picked up a GSG AK .22 instead. Eats everything. So far, so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast