Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver and heat

A short time ago I went to the range and fired about a hundred rounds through my relatively-new S&W 642. I noticed as time went on that the outside of the cylinder got fairly hot over time (Not "burning my hand" temperature, though). Is this something to be worried about in terms of potentially overheating the bullets inside?

I've also heard stories that other revolvers (not S&W though) may "melt" in some places if you fire through them too much in one sitting. Any truth to this? (Other than cheap-o guns someone bought for $20 overseas I mean).

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboss View Post
    A short time ago I went to the range and fired about a hundred rounds through my relatively-new S&W 642. I noticed as time went on that the outside of the cylinder got fairly hot over time (Not "burning my hand" temperature, though). Is this something to be worried about in terms of potentially overheating the bullets inside?

I've also heard stories that other revolvers (not S&W though) may "melt" in some places if you fire through them too much in one sitting. Any truth to this? (Other than cheap-o guns someone bought for $20 overseas I mean).
    Nothing to worry about.
    You will not be able to shoot fast enough/reload fast enough for the heat to build to anything dangerous.

Default Re: Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver and heat

Fire away! I've gotten my 642 hot enough to where I grill bacon on it (slight exaggeration) and have yet to have any issues.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver and heat

There is a video on youtube of a guy running 10,000 rounds through a 1911 in very short time. It didn't have any ill effects, so a revolver should never be suspect of any faults caused by heat. Unless, of course, you fashioned your revolver out of soap. in that case, the guards ARE going to catch you before you get out the gate. Have fun in solitary!!!

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Smith and Wesson 642 Revolver and heat

to determine the temp, your body will pull away at 120 deg,or if your not that brave any hardware store can sell you a laser temp device that are +- 3deg.
    when just target shooting i give the weapon a break when she's hot enough to smoke.