Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Kahr CW9 magazine issue

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

Went out yesterday and picked up a NIB Kahr CW9 from another forum member. Haven't been to the range yet, but I'm noticing a little funny business with the factory magazine. The springs are just too damned strong!

I noticed that the top round needs to be coaxed a little to sit at the upward angle at which the feed lips are positioned. I have to give it a little extra downward pressure and push very deliberately into the rear of the mag so that the round sort of "clicks" into place, then pop the front end up so that it's at the correct angle. Then when I strip the round, the excessive upward pressure from the spring causes it to take the on-deck round halfway out of the magazine with it.

I manually cycled maybe 10 rounds last night to see if maybe actually being in the gun made a difference. There were no hangups, but I did notice that after chambering a round and dropping the mag, the next round was still coming out maybe 1/8". There was also some notable scoring on the bullet and the case from the feed lips, presumably also due to the mag spring just being too strong.

How concerned should I be about this? Any Kahr owners have similar observations? Has being a Sig owner just spoiled me with consistently flawless operation? I read an account of someone on another forum having some problems with their PM9 not feeding properly, then after removing a few coils from the spring one at a time, the malfunctions stopped. Should I take some wire cutters to the range with me?

In any case, I'm gonna go do some shooting today to knock out the recommended 200-round break-in, so I'm sure I'll find out if there's any real problems. Just wanted to see if anybody had any insight on the matter. I'll be sure to report back after my range trip.

-Tom

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kahr CW9 magazine issue

I have a P9, and my mags do the same thing. I have over 2500 flawless rounds through it without a single problem.

Unless you are experiencing problems I wouldnt worry about it.

Also check out www.Kahrtalk.com

(Allegheny County)

Yeah the Kahr mags are a bitch to load - but mine do the same thing. Never had any trouble with them or the Promags I have for range only work.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

I used to own a CW9. The mag springs are quite strong when new but just like the pistol, after a few mags they tend to run very well.

I'd give it time before I looked into other options.

Did you break down and clean the magazine before using it? I don't know if that might do anything during reassembly, but it might be worth a shot.

(Allegheny County)

You should clean your striker channel too.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gunsmithing-4...-torx-bit.html
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the responses. It was nice having a little peace of mind before I went out and shot. So glad I didn't just have a crappy mag. They're effing expensive!

Just got done cleaning after the first trip to the range. About 175 rounds (125 FMJ, 50 JHP) through and most everything looked good. Fired about 100 rounds, then picked up my P226 Combat and sent a few mags down. I was really surprised at how comparable the recoil was between the two. At half the weight, no less. I like the trigger a lot as well. Feels just right for DAO. Overall, I'm impressed.

No FTFs or anything like that. Only issue was that at one point (probably within the first 50 rounds) the slide locked back with 3 or 4 rounds left in the mag. NO IDEA why. I'm assuming it was just a little kink that had to work itself out during those first few rounds, as there were no problems after that. To be on the safe side I'll probably make another range trip before carrying.

Anyhow, definitely glad I picked this little guy up. Thanks again everyone.

(Monroe County)

yeah mine do the same thing too, no issues at all. I think it has to stick up that way so it can be picked up correctly? dunno but its not an issue
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrythezero View Post
    About 175 rounds (125 FMJ, 50 JHP).
    Just out of curiosity, What JHP ammo did you shoot? I’m trying to find something decent for my CW9. I used critical defense, but that ammo is garbage.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19_NoStovePipe View Post
    Just out of curiosity, What JHP ammo did you shoot? I’m trying to find something decent for my CW9. I used critical defense, but that ammo is garbage.
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glock19_NoStovePipe View Post
    Why do you say Critical Defense is garbage?

Did you shoot someone with it and they said "Ow don't do that again?"
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast