Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Springfield XD9 SC vs. XD40 SC?

I have the XD40 SC and it's been flawless. It's a bit harsh, though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just shot an XD9 SC that was a bit more enjoyable to shoot. It's also a 9 rounds vs. 13 rounds thing, but I'm perfectly fine with 9 rounds (8 actually so I don't have to cram that last round in the mag - or 9 with one in the chamber).
    So, I don't know, how do you feel about the 9 SC vs. the .40 SC? I'm thinking about switching to the 9 and would greatly appreciate anonymous opinions from the internet.
    Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Springfield XD9 SC vs. XD40 SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I have the XD40 SC and it's been flawless. It's a bit harsh, though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just shot an XD9 SC that was a bit more enjoyable to shoot. It's also a 9 rounds vs. 13 rounds thing, but I'm perfectly fine with 9 rounds (8 actually so I don't have to cram that last round in the mag - or 9 with one in the chamber).
    So, I don't know, how do you feel about the 9 SC vs. the .40 SC? I'm thinking about switching to the 9 and would greatly appreciate anonymous opinions from the internet.
    Thanks.
    Personally, I like the .40. I carry and use the .40 compact Glock.

What works for you is what you should get. What caliber do you shoot better? If you "like" to shoot the 9mm more, you may practice more, making the 9mm a better choice for you.

As for the round count in the mag, this is another personal choice. "Craming" that last round in the mag does not hurt a thing and will not mess up your mag spring. So right off the bat, I would go load your mag fully!!

(Lancaster County)

It all depends on how much you use it at the range. For carry or home defense I would stick with the forty. Is there a possibility of getting another pistol in 9 for the range? Maybe something full size? Just a thought. I had an XD40sc and loved it, it was flawless. I know the Glock 27 (40 sc) can use a barrel conversion to shoot 9 mil. Maybe springfield has something like that.

(Bucks County)

Good call. I've been stewing over a 9mm like maybe a Beretta 92 or a CZ 75B or Compact (if I can find a used one without the rail). Maybe even just get a 9 and stock fmj ammo only.
    Knew I came to the right place.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Good call. I've been stewing over a 9mm like maybe a Beretta 92 or a CZ 75B or Compact (if I can find a used one without the rail). Maybe even just get a 9 and stock fmj ammo only.
    Knew I came to the right place.

If .40 is too snappy for you to shoot well than definately get a 9mm. If it's just and issue of comfort and it's a defense gun and not a range gun stick with .40.

If you can afford it get a new 9mm and keep the .40! That'll be more fun anyway. It's hard to have too many guns.

You might be able to convert the .40 to a 9mm with a new barrel and mags, but I can't promise you that's true. I'm sure someone who knows will be along to confirm or deny.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    It all depends on how much you use it at the range. For carry or home defense I would stick with the forty. Is there a possibility of getting another pistol in 9 for the range? Maybe something full size? Just a thought. I had an XD40sc and loved it, it was flawless. I know the Glock 27 (40 sc) can use a barrel conversion to shoot 9 mil. Maybe springfield has something like that.
    Here you go
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-308277.html

.40 XD SC converted to 9mm
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Im not a fan of the XD, BUT between caliber choice that is a quandary. Personally, I love the .40. Its a little snappy which I like and its just a great round, but it is that much more expensive. For that reason, I originally went with the 9mm so i would be able to practice more. But since I have purchased other items that use quite expensive ammo, the .40 will be reconsidered for future purchases. For now I would go for a 9mm you can always trade up (or buy up) later on.

(Westmoreland County)

I think you could get used to shooting the .40. The 9 would be less expensive to shoot.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

I'm personally buying an XD40Sc. I think the .40 cal will work better defensively for such a short (3") barrel. I have a XD45C 4" coming also. I was always a Glock guy until I felt the XD grip last year for the first time. What a huge difference. I may need to send the XD to SA custom for a trigger job though.

Presumably your primary purpose here is self-defense?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the fact that you are considering "switching" implies to me that money is not no object i.e. that you'd trade in. If money matters, get the 9mm. To echo the previous posters, you can shoot a lot more 9mm for the money, given the difference in cost of ammo, and any takedown difference between the 9mm and the .40 will be easily made up for by good training, and keeping high-end defensive ammo around for carry and HD. Well placed shots will be easier with a gun you really enjoy shooting. This isn't a question of "are you man enough to shoot a .40?" it's simply a question of preference, and practicality. I'd switch to the 9mm, and down the road buy a nice .45 to train with and keep in the house, or carry now and then, if you really want more power.

As an aside, ever since i picked up a .380 pocket pistol (TCP), i carry far more than i used to i.e. everywhere except for work. I still strap on a M&P 9c from time to time, but with practice and high-end ammo, at least with the .380 i always have something on me in every situation, and i don't need to dress in cargo pants or loose clothes. wool dress pants wiith a tucked in dress shirt? no problem. shorts? no problem. I am fully aware that i would be better off with a bigger gun, but i also don't live in a warzone, or dangerous neighborhood. Odds are my TCP will be plenty for most walks around the block.
    Last edited by BlueGunGuy; June 5th, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast