Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default First Tactical Training Course. Damn I was ignorant.

I just had my first Tactical Training at Tripol's Triggers. I did not realize how ignorant I was on basic tactics. I took their first course that was basic shooting with my wife. It was very good.

The second course was simple tactics. Rapid-fire, Moving and shooting, some retention and shooting and shooting with a light. Ther were 4 in the class. My wife and I plus a father and son . The instuctor was an NRA certified and a Williamsport LEO.

We went early for some range time. This is an in-door range. Put 100 rounds through my new Kimber SIS custom and decided to use it for the class. This is the first time I had shot it. My wife had put 94 rounds through it at my Dad's to help me start to break it in. My wife shoot 50 rounds.

The class started with learning to shoot 2 rapid fire shots. Here is where I started to realize I was very ignorant of Tactics. Learned about trigger set of the pistol and not to worry about bullseye but go for a 6 inch center mass area. The instuctor was a very good teacher. Could pick up on little things you were doing and make you better. He stressed that any hits on the Bad guy are good and to shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Shooting with the light was where my wife learned alot that will help her overall shooting. They turned off the lights and we shot only with our flash lights. My wife had problems with malfunctions. She had not shot one handed before. The instuctor worked with her. Malfunctions stopped and she was damn accurate. Did better than me.

The next part was moving and shooting. Another damn I was ignortant moment. We were shown skills of foot movement while moving side to side and forward and back. We were shooting at pictures of bad Guys. Here is where I was dumb. I never thought that when an armed threat is in front of you to move sideways and shoot. If you both have the guns pointed at each other. He stressed in these situations you have a 50/50 chance. He wanted to show us how to make it 51/49 in our favor.

The moving foreward and back was a great scenario. It was a picture of a guy attempting to kidnap a child with the child in the picture. Went over the when is it justified to shoot situations. For this one it was our kid or relative being taken. My wife loved this one due to the NO Guns in park ordinances we are helping to fight in our area. As I said the Instuctor is a LEO. But his "Think of the Children" means be armed to protect them.

The method he showed us was great. No shots got near the child. My wife was worried about that and was doing head shots one run. The more she did not have time to think the better she did. I though walk and shot, what is the big deal. Of course I was wrong. The short step heal toe is very effective. I was the only one shooting a 45 so my holes were easy to spot. I was very surprised how quickly I learned to shoot fast and accurate with it. I have been shooting a 9mm the past 5 months.

After the retention and close in shooting he said something I did not expect to come from a LEO. If you ever are in a Self Defense Shooting even in your home. Do Not Talk To The Police. That is what a Lawyer is for. He said he gets crap about this from his fellow LEOs.

I had another Thread about letting an instructor teach your wife or girlfriend. This class reinforced that. The level 3 course has a Hogan's Alley. My wife can not wait. She will probably do better then me.
    Last edited by B2Luv2Hunt; May 7th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First Tactical Training Course. Damn I was ignorant.

Sounds like fun. Im planning to take a tactics course this July. Sounds similar.

To be honest im not sure what to expect. I have played a LOT of airsoft for more than a decade. Lots of CQB indoor. But that is simulation. I dont have much experience shooting real firearms compared to airsoft. So a whole new learning curve for me.

I hope some of my self taught skills might help. Especially the low-light stuff. I love low light. Usually cause im the one with all the lights haha. Can you elaborate on the low light portion?

What technique did they teach for utilizing a handheld light and pistol? Harries, FBI modified, Rogers/Surefire grip?

Did you use mounted pistol lights?

did you move and shoot with lights?

Do they discuss about cover and aspects of penetration? Like can I shoot the badguy hiding behind "blank"
    Last edited by Solscud007; May 7th, 2010 at 07:12 AM.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    Sounds like fun. Im planning to take a tactics course this July. Sounds similar.

To be honest im not sure what to expect. I have played a LOT of airsoft for more than a decade. Lots of CQB indoor. But that is simulation. I dont have much experience shooting real firearms compared to airsoft. So a whole new learning curve for me.

I hope some of my self taught skills might help. Especially the low-light stuff. I love low light. Usually cause im the one with all the lights haha. Can you elaborate on the low light portion?

What technique did they teach for utilizing a handheld light and pistol? Harries, FBI modified, Rogers/Surefire grip?

Did you use mounted pistol lights?

did you move and shoot with lights?

Do they discuss about cover and aspects of penetration? Like can I shoot the badguy hiding behind "blank"
    He showed us acouple ways to hold the flash lights. Did not name them. But we were told to use whatever felt comfortable to us. If we came up with our own way to use it.

They turned all the lights-out and we did double shots at 7 yards using our flash light. The instuctor said that he uses both a rail Light and a flashlight at home. He likes back-up. He used a strobe on his Flashlight to show how much it blinds you. We did basics in this course. Showed us how to practice. The next two get into cover and more specifics.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Bucks County)

Great info
    Could you post link

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like fun. Do you happen to remember which light he had that strobes? It wasnt a Blackhawk Gladius per chance?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    Sounds like fun. Do you happen to remember which light he had that strobes? It wasnt a Blackhawk Gladius per chance?
    Streamlight Stinger.

(Allegheny County)

Ah ok. I have not had the pleasure of using a strobing streamlight.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Great info
    Could you post link
    http://www.tripolistriggers.com/indoorrange.nxg

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    We were shown skills of foot movement while moving side to side and forward and back. We were shooting a pictures at bad Guys. Here is where I was dumb. I never thought that when an armed threat is in front of you to move sideways and shoot.
    This is also a beneficial skill if someone is coming at you with a knife or other weapon. By moving sideways, the BG has to change directions. It throws them off balance and creates more distance between you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQKqg-zcte4

After the retention and close in shooting he said something I did not expect to come from a LEO. If you ever are in a Self Defense Shooting even in your home. Do Not Talk To The Police. That is what a Lawyer is for. He said he gets crap about this from his fellow LEOs.
    That's what he should be telling you. You hired him for training. He should be acting in that capacity and not as an LEO. Sounds like a good guy.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Allegheny County)

thanks for sharing.

always good to see someone wake up, be humble, admit that they do not know, and seek out that knowledge from those that do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast