Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Mexico to no longer accepts Utah permits

I saw this today on florida Cocealed Carry and thought I would pass this on

Stay safe
    Sprat

New Mexico reviewing reciprocity with other states

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(GunReports.com) -- Effective immediately New Mexico will no longer recognize concealed carry licenses issued by the State of Utah for the purposes of reciprocity in New Mexico, as the requirements for licensure in Utah do not meet the standards required in New Mexico statute, according to a statement from the State of New Mexico Department of Public Safety.

The statement continued, "Rules governing the concealed carrying of weapons and issuance of licenses require that training and other provisions be as stringent or substantially similar to New Mexico requirements. Questions concerning licenses obtained from Utah by New Mexico residents have made it necessary to reevaluate which states will be recognized as valid in New Mexico."

“We’ve had situations where certain concealed carry instructors in New Mexico solicit clients with the promise that if they train here and obtain a Utah license, which entails significantly less training than does a New Mexico license, it will qualify here,” said Department of Public Safety Secretary John Denko. “This is incorrect, and is nothing less than an effort to circumvent New Mexico concealed carry requirements which are designed to protect the public safety while honoring individual rights under the Second Amendment of the constitution.”

The state will also review the status of eighteen other states currently recognized on an informal basis, with the intent of entering into written agreements with these states to ensure compliance with New Mexico law. These states are: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming.

New Mexico currently has a written reciprocity agreement in place with Texas; the status of this agreement will remain unchanged.
    Last edited by sprat; May 6th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Packing.org,Deloc,Open carry,Florida Carry Concealed,LFI Graduate

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Mexico to no longer accepts Utah permits

I still don't get how "Requiring intense training and regulation" does anything to support and preserve the 2A.

Default Re: New Mexico to no longer accepts Utah permits

"What the French, toast?"

I got a damn Utah permit to extend my carry range....and it still does,...but not at this rate!

So I know we lost Nevada, now New Mexico,...and didn't we lose Louisiana too...or some southern state last year?