Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: State Law on Target Shooting

I've only investigated a few places myself, but townships seem less likely to restrict firearms discharge. It's usually boroughs and cities when it comes up at all. I've seen a lot of other people note the same thing from different areas around the state. You just have to look into it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    there are state use-of-force laws that would apply in a shooting...as well as potentially other state laws.

however, that does not prevent municipalities from passing ordinances against discharging firearms. some of them have exceptions for self-defense, but some do not. in theory, you could be charged with violating them even if you were justified according to the state use of force laws. i doubt you would be convicted, though. and, even if you were, it would only be a summary offense since it is only a violation of a local ordinance.
    But they could potentially still take your guns from you.

The laws differ from state to state and there would be different laws pertaining to different circumstances and so it is always advisable to contact the municipality and check for the guidelines about carrying the gun, and also what are the other things that you should be know if you are allowed to enter or move along with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    they can make those ordinances because the state preemption clause does not cover discharge of firearms. it only preempts local regulation of ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the State shall not be questioned."

The "in defense" part would seem to require that a discharge take place, so in that sense, I believe the language actually does protect the discharge of firearms for actual defense.

While the language does not support target shooting, it should follow logically that the State would be ill advised to forbid competency in the use of firearms for that purpose. They know or should know that forbidding people practicing competency in the use of a constitutionally guaranteed right is negligent and an affront to that very right.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    We don't enforce local law. If a township has an ordinance, it is up to them to enforce it. We only enforce Pennsylvania statute.
    There are townships in Pa that are covered by the State police, such as where I live, since there is no local police force for my township.

I called the State Police with this very same question about my area and the Officer filled me in on the regs in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    There are townships in Pa that are covered by the State police, such as where I live, since there is no local police force for my township.
    Ditto for Worcester Twp. Those guys just LOVE being dragged out to enforce one of Worcesters 2 ordinances... one of them being that you must register your burglar alarm, and the other being that you cannot leave a car with a for sale sign in the window parked anywhere in the township.

(j/k, there are others, but the point is that getting them enforced is next to impossible. The PSP has better things to do with their time)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by amndacatr View Post
    The laws differ from state to state and there would be different laws pertaining to different circumstances and so it is always advisable to contact the municipality and check for the guidelines about carrying the gun, and also what are the other things that you should be know if you are allowed to enter or move along with the gun.
    In Pennsylvania the counties and municipalities cannot pass laws about carrying or transporting guns. It's state law only. The guy is asking about shooting on his property, a different subject.

Yea I know, old thread, but I don't think the original question was ever really answered.
    As far as shooting on your own property, wouldn't the 150 yard rule apply? Not so much for your own structures, but rather those of your neighbor? Or is this just for hunting?

Then again, at some point the safety of what you're doing could be called into question, or if there is an ordnance against it. Then that part time zoning officer will come by and say hello... maybe.

(Luzerne County)

Safety zones only apply to hunting situations.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the State shall not be questioned."

The "in defense" part would seem to require that a discharge take place, so in that sense, I believe the language actually does protect the discharge of firearms for actual defense.
    The cases I've seen, at least locally, that were ruled as self defense, the 'discharging firearms' charge was dropped. The whole point of the law is to prevent target shooting in highly populated areas. In the City of Altoona, which has such an ordinance, there's really no safe place to be discharging a firearm.

If common sense existed we'd have no reason for these laws. I have no proof, but it would make sense that there is some 'necessity' exception to this law. Therefore if it's necessary to discharge a firearm in self defense the charge would be dropped...
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast