Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Savage Edge .223--Any info?

Any one own an Edge in any caliber? I've been wanting a .223 bolt action rifle for a while, and see that this model can be had for a little over $300 WITH a cheap scope already mounted. Damn! Most things in life seem to follow the "you get what you paid for it" rule, but sometimes you get a nice surprise. Any info on the rifle would be great. Thanks.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Default Re: Savage Edge .223--Any info?

Hi 625!

Yes I just bought a Savage Edge in .223 . I think it is a very solid gun. It has a new style receiver, but retains the old stye barrel assembly. It has a skeletonized bolt handle that I think looks very nice. The action is very, very smooth. The stock is your standard synthetic black. It is a bit slender compared to the Stevens 200 line of rifles. The wrist is thin, but for me that is good. I got the Package deal that came with a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9x40 scope, mounted and boresighted. The receiver reminds me of target style recievers. But I must say that new and different does not mean bad. It does not have an Accutrigger, but the trigger is crisp, not gritty, and breaks at about 5 lbs. I am sure a gunsmith could drop it a little without much effort. I also own a Stevens in 30-06, and a Savage 93r17-fv. I like all three guns. I don't want to candy-coat this review. The Edge is not a Remy 700 or a Winchester model 70, but it is a very solid rifle that should give you years of enjoyment without breaking the bank. I bought the package at Dunham's for $329. I have not been to the range with it yet, but if it is anything like my other two Savage rifles, it will be very accurate and dependable. I hope this helps you out.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! Very helpful! At those prices, I don't know how long I can wait to pull the trigger and get one.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

So the stock is different than the Stevens? I was wondering what the exact differences were.

In descriptions the Edge sounds almost identical to the Stevens and I have wondered if maybe now that the Savage name has more cachet they are moving away from the Stavens name.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, I don't have one yet, but have been in contact with Evan at On Point Firearms and they are gonna have them for $281.10 + $15 for shipping, and expect them in at anytime. I got my eyes on one in 25-06. Basically everything I've read about them leads me to believe that they are a complete new design built to compete with the Marlin XL-7 and Mossberg ATR. Jeff Quinn did a pretty good review on the rifle on his site gunblast.

Just bought a Savage Edge in .223 and mounted a Nikon 3-9x50 scope on it. Went to the range and after 3 shots on paper,and adjusted accordingly shot 5 shots in a 1 in. group dead center. I was surprised at the accuracy, because it certainly wasn't me!
    Great rifle. the price was $259.99 +tax. The scope was $300. Hope you'll enjoy yours as much as i do if you get one.

(Lehigh County)

In my experience... savage rifles just flat out shoot. I would say that for the price it's worth youur time. The barreled action is a solid shooter... the stock is probably the weakest point (and you can swap stocks fairly easily).

Bought a Savage Edge XP in .223 earlier this summer. Use it as a summer shooting gun and something to work on. (See my post on Savage XP trigger). My best group to date has been .41 inches at 100 yds. using a 52 gn. Spitzer Hollow Point Boat Tail driven by 24.8 gn. of Varget in range Lake City brass using CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers. I have gotten other good groups in the sub-MOA and 1/2 MOA range. The Scope mounts are good enough but the scope is a bushnell sharpshooter, definately something to change. The Edge is designed so that the only two things that change in going from .223 to 30-06 are the bolt head and the barrel. So it is really a strong .223. I'm a big guy and the edge is comfortable to shoot for me. The plastic stock is well designed and comfortable to hold and shoot. It's been a fun gun to shoot this summer.