Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Why should I buy a Glock or XD?

Have some money, thinking of buying another gun. Here's what I carry (what I carry depends on how I feel that day, what I'm going to be doing, where I'm going to be, etc.): LCP, LCR, Ruger 357 snub nose, S&W 5906, CZ75SP01, full size 1911, 4" GP100. I might be CCing, I might be OCing.

Why should I consider a Glock or XD other than to add to my collection? Oh, and if I do buy one, it will be a big bore.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Default Re: Why should I buy a Glock or XD?

opening bag of popcorn...

Edit: forgot to add, buy either one because it will be a reliable carry gun.
    Last edited by 24/7dude; May 5th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

(Bucks County)

"Why?" Because you can.

Now go buy one.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    opening bag of popcorn...

that never gets old

(Beaver County)

I currently own a xd 4inch service model and it is great. I have also owned a g26. The xd is hands down better. But the reason I went for them is because I had the money, the name and reliablity.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe15003 View Post
    I currently own a xd 4inch service model and it is great. I have also owned a g26. The xd is hands down better. But the reason I went for them is because I had the money, the name and reliablity.
    This is the kind of answer (sort of) that I was looking for.

BUT, why pick the XD over the Glock (and vice-versa)? Did you like the feel of the grip better, did it seem to be built better, was (is) it more reliable, easier to maintain, did the grip safety (on the XD) factor in, etc.?

And yes I know a lot of PDs carry them (Glocks). But, in that vein, people always say don't ask police about carry laws because they don't necessarily know all the laws. In that light then, why should someone buy a gun just because the police carry it? Is the average policeman knowledgeable about the gun they carry (other than to point and pull the trigger)? Many PDs change guns, issue them to the officers, the officers practice a little and qualify and the gun goes in the holster, maybe never to be drawn again until requalifying time. The average policeman probably doesn't do anything with the gun other than clean it ocassionally. So, just because a PD carries a certain brand, should I?

I hope that people don't think I'm trolling, I just wanted a logical discussion on why someone would pick one brand over another when the 2 brands are similar.

And yes I know I can buy one because I can but that doesn't answer the question. I want to know the pros and cons from people that own both or have owned one and switched to the other.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

why leave out the M&P series pistols all the time in this damn Glock vs XD lovefest? the M&P is on par with those guns and IMO fits the hand a hell of a lot better.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    This is the kind of answer (sort of) that I was looking for.

BUT, why pick the XD over the Glock (and vice-versa)? Did you like the feel of the grip better, did it seem to be built better, was (is) it more reliable, easier to maintain, did the grip safety (on the XD) factor in, etc.?

And yes I know a lot of PDs carry them (Glocks). But, in that vein, people always say don't ask police about carry laws because they don't necessarily know all the laws. In that light then, why should someone buy a gun just because the police carry it? Is the average policeman knowledgeable about the gun they carry (other than to point and pull the trigger)? Many PDs change guns, issue them to the officers, the officers practice a little and qualify and the gun goes in the holster, maybe never to be drawn again until requalifying time. The average policeman probably doesn't do anything with the gun other than clean it ocassionally. So, just because a PD carries a certain brand, should I?

I hope that people don't think I'm trolling, I just wanted a logical discussion on why someone would pick one brand over another when the 2 brands are similar.

And yes I know I can buy one because I can but that doesn't answer the question. I want to know the pros and cons from people that own both or have owned one and switched to the other.
    police carry glocks because they are cheap and reliable. Most agencies who arent restrained by budget carry something else, mostly sigs. I am personally really really wanting an xd for my next gun, Will be the first non sig Ive bought in a while, except for a revolver and thats just cause they dont make em.

Im thinking of compact model xd in .40, Id rather actually have the 9 for capacity and size, but Ill stick with what my other 4 autos are.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I just wanted a logical discussion on why someone would pick one brand over another when the 2 brands are similar.
    i'm not sure it's possible to have that discussion logically.

but i just wanted to point out that glocks and XDs are not really all that similar, imho.

the grip angle is completely different. the grip circumference is different. the bore axis is different. the XD is a single-action gun. the glock is more-or-less double-action. XD has a grip safety, glock does not.
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

the XD is a single-action gun. the glock is more-or-less double-action.
    they are both striker fired single action. not exactly single action, not double action for sure. here's how to tell...clear your glock, dry fire it.....now dry fire it again...oh crap you can't because the slide hasn't cycled!!.. It's not double action, it's kind of in a class of its own.

here's an explanation:
    http://members.cox.net/guntraining/glocks.htm

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast