Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NRA working against the 2A??

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlan...orm-in-Georgia

When members of the General Assembly decided to pass a bill to repeal Georgia's 140 year old public gathering law on Thursday night, they were confused by the irony of the largest gun rights group in the nation opposing the reform. ............................................
    Last edited by rmodel65; May 5th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NRA working against the 2A??

Churches and college campuses. More confusion as we travel from state to state.

In one state you can carry in a bar but not the next, in the next you can't carry at a parade but you can in a church, but a bit down the road you can't carry in a church . . .

So on and so on and scoobie, doobie, do on.

(York County)

The NRA is a good organization, but sometimes it doesn't make good decisions (remember their original stance against Heller). I'm sure there are behind the scenes issues that may or may not become public (politics).
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Cumberland County)

If this article as accurate....and to me it was somewhat confusing....but if it is accurate...

The NRA seems to be in a no win situation. The pro-gun anti-NRA folks complain the NRA compromises too much. So the NRA takes a hard line and and doesn't support this bill because it don't contain certain provisions and now they are hammered for not supporting pro-gun legislation. The pro-gun anti-NRA folks can't have it both ways. Either you support a bill which doesn't have the provisions which is a compromise or you oppose it becase it is a compromise....pick your side and stick to it. We all want the same thing it's a shame we can't work together.
    Yippie-Ky-Ay

(Columbia County)

After reading the entire article, it sounds to me like the NRA lobbyists were confused on the wording/content of the two bills. The first bill (SB 291) was already passed through their general assembly that included legal carry in airports. The NRA then demanded that the other bill (SB 308) contain language to allow carry in airports. They then lobbied against the bill because the lawmakers did not add that (redundant) language... even though it was already in another bill. The NRA needs to issue a public apology for this. It is simply unacceptable.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    The NRA is a good organization, but sometimes it doesn't make good decisions (remember their original stance against Heller). I'm sure there are behind the scenes issues that may or may not become public (politics).
    We won Heller 5-4. Two of that 5 were not on the court when the NRA first opposed Heller - in their place are Rehnquist and O'Connor. Failure will cement bad precedent, possibly for decades. Would you have gone ahead with a lawsuit under those conditions?

(Bucks County)

NRA, GOA, JPFO are great organizations.

It is important that while each has its differences, we must remain unified on the pro 2A Issue.

Do not let anyone divide up on the issue.

Each org has a different approach, each is important.

Support them all.

(Delaware County)

The NRA is HUGE, over 4 million members. It is the mammoth pro gun group.
    Do you think you could ever get 4 million people to all agree?
    So it works like a big family, always questioning and discussing impacts to the long term goals.

I give them a lot of slack, they are the ones that pull the most weight in the country. People talk about Heller, look at McDonald case. WHO among the the 2 plaintiffs was given the most respect for their argument? SOF or NRA?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Churches and college campuses. More confusion as we travel from state to state.

In one state you can carry in a bar but not the next, in the next you can't carry at a parade but you can in a church, but a bit down the road you can't carry in a church . . .

So on and so on and scoobie, doobie, do on.

you should read the off limits list now...it says includes Churches/church functions, Political rallies, Organized sport events, bars and government buildings(except for those in parks) and then it goes on to say its includes all these things but is not limited to them.....so what the fu*# does that mean?? its was written like that so any black man could be arrested for carrying a weapon

and schools were off limits in another code section and they are a felony to carry to if your a student(unless you park over 1000ft away) although parents could pick up their kids armed...

GA is one of the most restrictive states in the union

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    After reading the entire article, it sounds to me like the NRA lobbyists were confused on the wording/content of the two bills. The first bill (SB 291) was already passed through their general assembly that included legal carry in airports. The NRA then demanded that the other bill (SB 308) contain language to allow carry in airports. They then lobbied against the bill because the lawmakers did not add that (redundant) language... even though it was already in another bill. The NRA needs to issue a public apology for this. It is simply unacceptable.

its is my understanding that the senators would be given a poor NRA rating if they voted for this bill....GCO has been around for 3 years and has removed a 140 year old racist law off the books whereas the NRA has beat around the bush imho

thread on our local gun board started by Ed Stone president of GCO and writer of the article http://georgiapacking.org/forum/view...=45080&start=0

I just got home. I am happy SB 308 passed, but I find it hard to be in too celebratory a mood, because of the disgusting spectacle I witnessed. I was busy, along with GCO's professional lobbyists, John Thompson and William Woodall, all evening, putting out fires lit by -

. . . .

The NRA.

Yes, the NRA.

The NRA was actively sabotaging SB 308 all night tonight. I witnessed this firsthand. They tried to amend it with something that they believed would draw a Governor's veto. When that failed, they began telling lies about the bill to politicians and the press. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was spending hours running around correcting NRA lies about the bill.

Then Senator Steve Thompson took the well and said what everybody knew, that the Senators had "cover" to vote against the bill, in spite of GCO's letter letting them know we are tracking their vote, because "The NRA opposes this bill."

One of our more technical types should get that video on You Tube, so people can see what the NRA was doing tonight in Georgia.

Opposing repeal of a 140 year old Jim Crow law infringing on the right to bear arms.

Like I said, I was disgusted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast