Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default S&W 686 - Grips?

I recently acquired a new to me S&W 686 4" - it has what I assume were the factory rubber grips (Houge?) that S&W ships with them.

I would like to swap them out for a pair of wood grips. What is the process for removing the rubber grips? There is a screw on the butt, which I have taken out. I guess I'm just a little scared to pry off the rubber grips - it almost seems like they are stuck on there with some sort of binder. If I remove them and decide the wood doesn't work would the rubber grips be fine to go back on?

I looked on youtube and couldn't find much.

Thanks for being patient - revolvers are new to me. And well, Glocks are just easy.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: S&W 686 - Grips?

the grips do kind of "snap" on and a little prying is required. there is a pin in the frame down on the bottom of the butt, that sticks out both sides...maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so, the grips will need pryed out over them. and yes they were ment to handle this treatment, so they can go on and off many times.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I recently acquired a new to me S&W 686 4" - it has what I assume were the factory rubber grips (Houge?) that S&W ships with them.

I would like to swap them out for a pair of wood grips. What is the process for removing the rubber grips? There is a screw on the butt, which I have taken out. I guess I'm just a little scared to pry off the rubber grips - it almost seems like they are stuck on there with some sort of binder. If I remove them and decide the wood doesn't work would the rubber grips be fine to go back on?

I looked on youtube and couldn't find much.

Thanks for being patient - revolvers are new to me. And well, Glocks are just easy.
    I actually just bought a 686 and put the hogue rubber grips on it. Once you have the screw out you should be able to slide the grips off by grabbing the bottom and pulling downward. Once the grips are off the metal piece that the screw is mounted into can be removed from the pin on the bottom.

From what I have heard every grip type has its own mounting method. So when you buy new grips they should include their mounting hardware.

(Montgomery County)

They are tough grips, unscrew them and pull them downward and they should slide off.

Speaking of great Smith and Wesson revolvers, Surplus City has a Smith and Wesson 620 7 shot for 400 bucks as of two hours ago. I inspected it and it is in fine condition.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Just remove the screw and slide the grip down.

Great revolver by the way.. you won't be disappointed!

(Centre County)

I have 686. It came with wood grip, but I changed it to hogue mono grip.
    If you plan to shoot full .357magnum, monogrip is the best way to go...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    the grips do kind of "snap" on and a little prying is required. there is a pin in the frame down on the bottom of the butt, that sticks out both sides...maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so, the grips will need pryed out over them. and yes they were ment to handle this treatment, so they can go on and off many times.
    This only applies to J-Frames. Your gun is an L-Frame and the instructions you received in all the other posts were correct. The only thing I think they didn't cover is that if you are going to put something back on the gun, other than Hogue, you need to remove the "stirrup" that is held in place by the transverse pin at the bottom of the grip frame (it's spring steel so you can just spread it far enough to come off the pin). Have fun with your new toy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Thank you gents. Now I'm on a search for some wood grips (used hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Thank you gents. Now I'm on a search for some wood grips (used hopefully).
    You're welcome. You can try eBay or try here, if you like the shape and feel of the Hogues, but want wood (these are all round butt - which I'm assuming is what your L-Frame is)...

http://www.hogueauction.com/browse.php?id=35

These are seconds, but at a substantial savings. Once you see these, it's hard to tell they aren't first quality. Hogue is very picky.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    You're welcome. You can try eBay or try here, if you like the shape and feel of the Hogues, but want wood (these are all round butt - which I'm assuming is what your L-Frame is)...

http://www.hogueauction.com/browse.php?id=35

These are seconds, but at a substantial savings. Once you see these, it's hard to tell they aren't first quality. Hogue is very picky.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Hey Pizza B,

Thanks! Do you know if they come with any mounting hardware and instructions?

Keystone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast