Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: +1 for courteous, informed Allentown PD

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    Last evening I stopped at the WaWa just down the street from TrueCrimsons "run in" with the APD at Home Depot last year. Soon as I pulled in I saw the squad car and glanced up to be sure I had a couple flyers. As Ive been in that store on numerous occasions OC I didnt think too much about it, although I had a suspicion that I was going to be asked about it.

Anyway, soon as I got out of my car and started to walk inside the Officer saw me and headed straight for me. Started right out with "I respect what your doing - Ive got no issue with you carrying".... pretty polite chat. Knowing that I can simply state the obvious "am I being detained...." I decided to openly engage in chat with him. he suggested that I might conceal as people wouldnt get nervous, but also ASKED before I did, do you have a license? I told him yes, but was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, didnt feel comfortable concealing (my Springfield's knurled grips tend to chafe) physically, and fully knew the law - He too was well versed. Again, I want to emphasize, only a suggestion, seems they get calls all the time about a couple folks that exercise their rights and have to see who it is instead of solving real crime. He literally said that he wished more folks that KNEW their rights would stand up for them and would like to see more law abiding folks do what some of us do daily. At no point was Keith (the officer) confrontational or demanding - in fact when he asked if I had a license I responded "yes - I drove here, need one for that, correct?" Im not sure that he understood what I meant by that response, but he didnt ask to see either my "license" or License...

Anyway, by this point were both moving to the checkout line and getting a few looks from customers. our discussion continued for a good 15 minutes, and took us to the parking lot in front of the store. Seriously nice guy who was also unaware of PAFOA (and I didnt know if the site was still down either, I would have pulled it up from my car), but did give him a flyer.

Anyway - Ive got a sneaking suspicion Keith passed MPOTEC with flying colors. So before the flames start about talking to the police, I know that I dont HAVE to say anything, I also know youll attract more bees with honey too. While its a judgment call, I think that the police are just like the rest of us - they have a sometimes shitty job to do and occasionally might like to socialize with someone other than law enforcement... and as an OC'r Im in many ways putting myself out there for the inquiry. How we handle ourselves might set their attitude towards their next OC encounter.

Well done , this was a very good encounter I also OC at that WaWa almost every day. I also agree with you with regards to your comment about attracting more bees with honey.

+1 rep sent
    TET 68 Survivor --- U. S. Navy 1963 - 1972

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: +1 for courteous, informed Allentown PD

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Situation 1:
    Cop: Excuse me.
    Me: Yes?
    Cop: What kind of gun are you carrying?
    Me: It's an M&P40.
    Cop: Cool, cool. I stopped you because you just got out of a car with it... You got a license?
    Me: Yep.
    Cop: Can I see it?
    Me: Am I being detained?
    That's about all I would have said, myself. I know it's nitpicky, and I don't really knock you for your decision on it, but if he is asking for any sort of documentation, I believe that is only something he would do if you were being detained. Just asking the question is innocuous enough, but if he actually wanted to see it, that's a different story.

To the OP, interesting story, I don't think it's too bad that he made that suggestion. After all, it probably would make his job much easier, not having to respond to all the MWAG call he gets. But at least he seemed friendly, didn't force ideals down your throat, and didn't detain/arrest you.
    Last edited by msquaredserver; May 5th, 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: i don't have a 1911 anymore :p
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    To the OP, interesting story, I don't think it's too bad that he made that suggestion. After all, it probably would make his job much easier, not having to respond to all the MWAG call he gets. But at least he seemed friendly, didn't force ideals down your throat, and didn't detain/arrest you.
    I doubt that legal OC MWAG calls are taking much of the cop's time. The cop was just being a complainer in that small respect.

I can't expect everybody I meet to say exactly all the things I want to hear. I'm not King yet. The cop comes to the table with some bias due to the fact his job is as a cop. Shit, I come to the table with 100% bias since my job is being a Citizen.

Sounds like the cop was more reasonable and supportive than about half the people I know.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I always gauge the situation first, before asserting my rights. The level of respect that the officer shows me will directly determine how I respond.

How the officer presents himself determines how I react.

I agree 100%. If the LEO wants to be a dick right away, then I see no problem with going into instant "Am I being detained?" mode. However, if the LEO is polite, courteous, professional, and reasonable then there is no need to be a d-bag. Like anything else, it's a two way street.

(Northampton County)

I work at one of the ER's in allentown where APD frequently visit, bringing us drunks and all other types of stand up citizens. I have had the chance to talk with a lot of them about OC and from what i have noticed [U]most[U] of them seem up to date on laws and our rights. Some are gun enthusiasts themselves, to which i direct them here!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123