Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default M1911A1 Pistol - US Army Surplus

Question:

I want to purchase a WW II / Korean War era M1911A1 Pistol. Who would be able to assist me or direct me to a website or wholesale dealer that is reliable? I do not mind an out of state purchase ( I am in Calif) but they must be willing to assist with the current Calif paperwork and transit papers.

Cost is always an issue, so I must add that my budget is about 600 to 1,100 dollars and the weapon is expected to be in good to excellent working condition.

Original owners or veterans that would like to part with a decommissioned weapon would be preferred.

If you can respond here or send info/links to my email:

astm1557@yahoo.com

Thank you

R

(Northampton County)

Default Re: M1911A1 Pistol - US Army Surplus

If I remember correctly the "COLT PFA Manufacturing Co" ceased production of Government Model 1911 A-1 pistols in either 1944 or '45. Korean War, and later USGI issued .45s were manufactured before that date.
    Second point: Most Gov't USGI marked 1911 A-1s that I have seen in excellent condition excede $1000 in retail value.
    Third point: Most FFL dealers in PA will either decline to deal with anyone in California because of the very restrictive regulations enacted by and subsequent liability to the powers that be in California.
    I'm sure you will hear more info on this issue, but good luck in your search. I hope this info. is helpful.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure if you asked or looked around here, you may get a lot more info.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Tioga County)

as the original 1911 has not been sent to the testers in CA, I suspect that you can't import it unless it has been inactivated. should you restore it to a useful state you would be breaking the law and be subject to arrest. Remember only those pistols that are on the CA "blessed" list may be imported to the PRK

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    as the original 1911 has not been sent to the testers in CA, I suspect that you can't import it unless it has been inactivated. should you restore it to a useful state you would be breaking the law and be subject to arrest. Remember only those pistols that are on the CA "blessed" list may be imported to the PRK
    The "drop test" only applies to newly manufactured guns not used ones. There were great deals to be had the weeks before the drop test came into effect. But things may have changed since I left there too.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Centre County)

i think your best bet would be online firearm auction site like that of gunbroker.com.

But i've seen most M1911 thats in execelent shape goes regulerly exceeds $1000 tho
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    But i've seen most M1911 thats in execelent shape goes regulerly exceeds $1000 tho

That seems to be what I have been seeing also.

(Lycoming County)

I must add that my budget is about 600 to 1,100 dollars and the weapon is expected to be in good to excellent working condition.
    WHAT???

You're already out of the game.

Put down the crack pipe and go look on Collectors Firearms, or any of the other auction sites. They will give you a little perspective.

You might find an average-good redo for that.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Philadelphia County)

Way out of the ballpark!. Since I first posted about my 1911 Government model in the forum, I took it to a dealer/collector who was talking in the $1400 range, and more if I am willing to give him the paperwork that goes along with it where it was given to my great uncle when he retired.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS