Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Entry level long range precision shooting rifle?

I've always been a hand gun kinda guy, but I think I would enjoy getting into long range rifles. I realize calling them "sniper" rifles is a no no, but I'm not sure what the proper term is, so I'll use it just to clarify the style shooting I'm after. I was hoping someone could point me in a good direction of an entry level system. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with most rifles, or the optics for them so all the advice you can spare is greatly appreciated. I don't really have a price range because I have no idea what a decent entry level set up should cost, but know I'm not trying to bankrupt myself. All thoughts, ideas, or corrections welcome!

Default Re: Entry level long range precision shooting rifle?

Dick's runs a special from time to time on a Heavy Barrel Rem 700 with synthetic stock and el-cheapo scope for $500. the rifle (can't remember which model of 700) comes in 223 or 308.

my rationale is that this gets you shooting a capable and readily available caliber, quickly and inexpensively. you have a decent quality receiver and barrel that can be worked on, with a ton of aftermarket accessories available.

i'd try for the 308 rifle if you can find it. it is always listed but less commonly available.

(Bucks County)

One of the Savage Model 10 variants in 308, with an SWFA Super Sniper 10x scope and you'll be off to a good, and inexpensive, start.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Dick's runs a special from time to time on a Heavy Barrel Rem 700 with synthetic stock and el-cheapo scope for $500. the rifle (can't remember which model of 700) comes in 223 or 308.

my rationale is that this gets you shooting a capable and readily available caliber, quickly and inexpensively. you have a decent quality receiver and barrel that can be worked on, with a ton of aftermarket accessories available.

i'd try for the 308 rifle if you can find it. it is always listed but less commonly available.

I also recommend a Rem700 in some variation. I have Rem700s in .30-06 and .270. Mine are top end models in traditional trim and used for hunting. They are more accurate than I am and have required zero maintenance. They've done a lot of target shooting since my brothers and I started doing longer range shooting for fun.
    F*S=k

Buy something that is good to start with. Don't try to get started on cheape equipment and trick yourself into thinking you don't like it because your equipment isn't up to par. However I will say that Remington model 700 and Winchester model 70 have worked fine for years.

Don't skimp on glass. Period. Leupold Mark 4. It will last you a lifetime.

Finally. Look into reloading if you don't.
    If only ammo was cheap. Wait. I reload. Darn .22 lr.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by f14tcat691 View Post
    Don't skimp on glass. Period.

Yes. Be prepared to spend 2 to 3 times as much on optics as the rifle itself...
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Looking at remingtons site there appear to be over 20 models of the 700. Any special one to look for or at least any special ones to stay away from? Any reason for one caliber over another? I do intend to reload in the near future.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by f14tcat691 View Post
    Don't skimp on glass. Period. Leupold Mark 4. It will last you a lifetime.
    Which one would you recommend for my application? The LR/T?

(York County)

I am happy with my Savage 10FP, which is very similar to a heavy barreled version of the 700 SPS. I like .308, but that's personal preference and economic interest. I shoot with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 on a Harris bipod. The Savage short action series have more and more stocks becoming available, so the Remi 700 isn't the only rifle out there with custom stocks anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabnock View Post
    Which one would you recommend for my application? The LR/T?
    Howdy Sabnock, welcome to the forum. I appreciate your approach on the subject, and the humbleness that you've approached it with. Most of us call the type of rifle that you're looking for a "Tactical rifle", "Precision rifle" or "Long Range (LR) Rifle". I usually just go with tactical rifle. Pretty much any heavy barreled Savage 10/110 or Remington 700 will be fine. There's quite a few threads on this forum dealing in this subject, so you may search around, and we'll help you with some terms that might assist you. I'm a Remington man myself, but there's also plenty of reasons to consider a Savage. The Savage is cheaper, every bit as accurate (sometimes a little more out of the box), comes with an accutrigger, and when you replace the barrel later you can do it yourself. Downside is that the actions aren't as smooth, most people don't find them as aesthetically pleasing, and they don't have nearly the amount of upgrades in parts and stocks (although this is getting better). Just some things to consider and more questions to ask and research.

Now in terms of Remington rifles, there's a few models that most people look to, and two approaches that most people take. You can go with a cheaper model and upgrade it, but just realize the stock that comes with most of them is "junk" in terms of serious LR shooting. It will work for plinking and learning, but as you improve, you'll want a pillar and skim bedded stock for improved consistency and repeatability. The other approach is to buy an expensive rifle to begin with that already comes with a quality stock, and then you will later just have to bed it, and probably tweak the trigger a little. The cheaper models that most people look at are the SPS Varmint, SPS Tactical, and VTR. Don't bother with the "pencil barreled" or hunting barreled rifles, they're a bit too light for what you want to do. Factory barrels, particularly the thin ones have a tendency to "walk" after they get hot. This is a result of stress in the barrels that is induced while rifling, chambering, and how the barrel contacts the action. As the metal heats up and expands, the stress shifts and moves, and it causes slight shifts in point of impact. Sometimes the heavy barrels do this as well, but they're not as prone to it, or it takes higher heat to make them walk because they are larger diameter and more rigid.

The other approach is the "more expensive rifle". Keep in mind these are not cheap rifles, but they are higher quality in most regards, and details. Most of these rifles will run you around the $1,000-1,200, but you will not have to worry about the finish of the rifle as much, and they already come with a quality stock. They come with adjustable triggers, but most of us tactical shooters have found them to be hit or miss in terms of staying where they're adjusted to. We usually replace them, and eventually you'll probably want to as well. It's a cheap modification that you can do yourself, several of us here are happy to walk you through it and help you when you choose you want to do it. The rifles you'll be looking at in the high end are the Remington 700P (police sniper rifle), Sendero, and 5R. The Sendero will not come in a caliber that a beginner should start with, so that kind of eliminates it right off the bat.

You will almost definintely want to go with a .308 caliber rifle if you are serious about LR shooting. You haven't said exactly what you personally define as "long range". If it's what some of us consider "mid range", then you may consider a .223. .308 is a good place to start because it's not hard on barrels, not hard recoiling, and it's a caliber that you can stretch out to 1,000 yards. The other nice thing about the .308 is that if you don't reload, there's LOTS of good quality loads that are consistent enough to shoot to 1,000 yards. You'll find out later that ammunition and it's consistency is a very important factor when stretching things out.

Please search the forum, there's quite a bit of information on the rifles we're talked about and differences amongst them. Depending on what bullet weight you want to shoot, barrel length, range you intend to shoot, possible other uses for the rifle, and how much you initially want to invest in the rifle will determine which Remington model you start with. Having a quality scope is very important, but contrary to what most people believe, you don't have to have a Leupold Mark 4. There are getting to be better bang for your buck options than the Leupold Mark 4 with more features. I would advise you to find a compromise, don't buy the most expensive rifle if you won't be able to afford quality ammunition, and good glass for it. You should expect to spend at least $500 for around the "bare minimum" kind of scope to get you by. When you learn other features and how to use other systems, you'll most likely be wanting to replace the scope. Some people would rather just buy the more expensive scope to begin with instead of taking a loss on the other. The "lower price range" serious scopes are gonna start in the $750+ range. Most people think of Leupold Mark 4 as the standard since our military guys use them, they work well and they're good glass, but far from the best glass or best bang for your buck. The hobby gets expensive in the higher end optics, some tactical scopes will be beyond $3,000+ range. You don't need the most expensive equipment, a $500 scope can get you by, it all just depends on how much you want to invest initially, and if you intend to stick with it.

We can offer some models of Savages to look like as well if you're interested in them. Let us know if you need help searching for some other threads, we'll post up links. Let us know which model of the models listed you prefer, and we can give more advice on those, and post threads pertaining to them as well. Once you have a decent rig (I.E. not garbage, but not the most expensive), trigger time and proper practice is what teaches you what you need to know. Keep the questions coming, and welcome to the diverse and expensive world of "Tactical rifles", lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast