Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny County Carry Permit, mine expired

I was on the boards just now, and was commenting on my carry habits on another thread. So, it dawned on me to pull my permit out...because i knew it was going to expire later this year (nov or dec). To my idiotic, stupid, irresponsible, neglectful self I did a double take, and it does not expire nov/dec 2007.....but rather 2006! Glad I had a trouble free year behind me. Despite being pulled over a few times in my truck for various minor infractions, there was never a reason to tell a cop that i had a gun in my pocket or truck. So, does that mean I need to go through the WHOLE application process again? I assume a "renewal" is too long overdue. Also, can you apply online or do you need to appear in person in downtown Pittsburgh. P.S. I'm such a dumb ass! (I figured I'd beat all you guys to calling me that, but feel free to pile on).

Default Re: Allegheny County Carry Permit, mine expired

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    I was on the boards just now, and was commenting on my carry habits on another thread. So, it dawned on me to pull my permit out...because i knew it was going to expire later this year (nov or dec). To my idiotic, stupid, irresponsible, neglectful self I did a double take, and it does not expire nov/dec 2007.....but rather 2006! Glad I had a trouble free year behind me. Despite being pulled over a few times in my truck for various minor infractions, there was never a reason to tell a cop that i had a gun in my pocket or truck. So, does that mean I need to go through the WHOLE application process again? I assume a "renewal" is too long overdue. Also, can you apply online or do you need to appear in person in downtown Pittsburgh. P.S. I'm such a dumb ass! (I figured I'd beat all you guys to calling me that, but feel free to pile on).
    well you got lucky thats for sure....

the application process is actually the same for renewals and new applicants in allegheny county... so you'll have to go downtown once to apply, then again in a few weeks once you get a yellow card in the mail saying you've been approved.. tell them how long you've been expired and they'll tell you if its considered a new application or a renewal as i'm not sure of the time periods, but the only difference in the whole process is what box you check for new or renewal gotta go threw the same hoops...

(Montgomery County)

If I were you, I would not mention (confess to a crime) that I had been CCing for the last year without a permit. IIRC, there is a six month grace period in PA. I let mine expire, but I was within the six months, and the deputy threatened to make me go through the whole process instead of just renewing it. Some mistakes you only make once.

(Westmoreland County)

Just what XD45 said, there's absolutely no difference between a new application and a renewal process. The only difference is that you can renew 60 days before expiration and 6 months after, I believe. In turn, you can carry on your old permit during that time.

As far as avoiding the wait, trips Downtown, etc. There's no way to avoid it.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

I checked. If it's past 6 month's it's a new application. Under 6 month's it's a renewal. Only difference is what box you check on the application. Process is the same.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    I did a double take, and it does not expire nov/dec 2007.....but rather 2006! .
    According to the Uniform Firearms Act:
    "At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license."

Do most sheriffs do this or not? Of course they cover themselves with that 2nd sentence.

My LTCF expires Jan 22, so if I don't receive a renewal app in the mail by Nov. 20th of so, I'll be contacting them.