Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default need shotgun project help

Hey all,

Well I got myself a pretty great deal on an old mossy 500 that i'd like to turn to a dedicated HD set up. I have a few (probably dumb) questions and need a little help!

Short Barrel: already cut it down to legal limit (plus a few extra JIC)
    However, I want to port the barrel like a vang comp set up! anybody know how to do that at all? I'm at a total loss.

Refinish-I am going to disassemble, strip, and clean the gut, but what's the best way to re-finish? I don't have a spray gun or access to one unless someone in berks Co wants to help me out. so is there a good over the counter spray or bake on paint to use? im looking for a wilson combat border patrol kinda look

Stock: where's the best place to get a houge youth or speedfeed stock? I don't want to spend more on the stock than I did on the gun though!

Side-saddle? is there a prefered brand for these or just grab whatever and go with it?

Thanks for the help!!!

Steve
    Last edited by steviesterno; April 29th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: comp ports

(Erie County)

Default Re: need shotgun project help

www.Havlinsales.com Cheap, fast and great to deal with. Paint; Rustolieum dark gray texture is great.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: need shotgun project help

If you go with a TacStar side saddle (are there any others?) you will need to get a new forend. I got the Choate Short forend for mine.

TacStar Mossberg 500 Page

I know you don't want to spend a lot on the 'berg, but BlackHawk makes some damn nice tactical stocks for the 500.

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Shotgun-Stocks,165.htm

I have the adjustable recoil reducing SpecOps for mine, and it cost me half what I paid for the shotgun - but I was able to sell off the wood furniture to compensate.

If they had the CompStock I probably would have gotten that. I love this thing.

Got to the last posting in this thread (single post link here) for the Choate Part number. I did NOT need an aftermarket nut.
    Last edited by falcn; May 12th, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone