Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wow, 200 yards is further than I though!

Yesterday I had an irresistible urge to go to the range and shoot, what is for me at least, long range.

I know there are folks here who can shoot the wings off a fly from 7 miles.

The furthest I've ever shot until yesterday was 100 yards. I only own one scope, and it's a zero magnification red dot sight that I have attached to my AK. yesterday I went to the range with my Mosins and tried out the 200 yard range.

Wow.

It was MUCH further than I realized. So my goal was just simply to get shots onto the target. Anywhere on the target. The targets I used were NRA SR-1C targets; they are 10.5" x 10.5". I'm aware these are meant as "repair centers" for SR-1. They are a nice size though. From 200 yards, the target was a barely visible spec in the distance. The width of the target paper was narrower than my front sight.

I was shooting a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 made in Tula in 1938. I was using Russian Military surplus 7.62x54R rounds made in the 70s or 80s.

So after marching up to the target stand, taping a target up, marching back, loaded 5 rounds, sat down, and took a deep breath. I fired a total of 10 shots at the first target. I set the rifle down and walked down to see if ANY managed to hit their mark (I don't own a spotting scope). To my total shock, 6 managed to hit the target. 6 out of 10 on the first try! I know, I know, not impressive to most experts here, but for me that's huge.

I put up another target and sent 10 downrange. Again, I managed to get 6 on target.

Then I did something stupid. For my third target, I decided to see how I faired firing from a standing position. Seeing as how I couldn't yet land all 10 shots shooting from a bench, I probably should have practiced a little more before trying. I only managed 2 hits from a standing position.

Anyway, it was a TON of fun. Took me almost an hour; I like to take my sweet time. Pictures will follow. I took pictures of the range, the rifle, etc. while I was there.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wow, 200 yards is further than I though!

Nothing at all bad with those results for someone shooting at that range for the first time. I don't even want to remember my first time at ranges > 100 yards. Congratulations!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

I'm impressed, but unfortunately that's not saying much. Hopefully next time you can use a bigger target and see if there's any pattern to the misses. Maybe you're shooting better groups than the target size can show.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I'm impressed, but unfortunately that's not saying much. Hopefully next time you can use a bigger target and see if there's any pattern to the misses. Maybe you're shooting better groups than the target size can show.
    Well, it looks like I'm shooting a little to the left. For the most part, the furthest to the right the shots were as right about center.

It also looks like I'm shooting a little high, however in each target there was a low shot.

I'll post pictures of the targets, and the pictures I took at the range, when I get a chance.

(Washington County)

Were you shooting bayonet on or off? It makes a difference.

Did the same thing at 150 last weekend, and managed 3 out of 5 on the bench with irons. Light was getting low, and my shoulder sore to shoot much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Were you shooting bayonet on or off? It makes a difference.

Did the same thing at 150 last weekend, and managed 3 out of 5 on the bench with irons. Light was getting low, and my shoulder sore to shoot much more than that.
    Bayonet matters on M44s, not so much on 1891/30s.

I was shooting fine at 100 yards. I'm pretty sure that this is an issue with me, not with the gun. The target looks very different at 200 yards compared to 100.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a cheapo set of Wallmart binoculars that I use as a make-shift spotting scope. It works well enough to see targets at 200yards.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

With that weapon, at that range, using that ammo that's very, very good shooting...you should be proud....I've been teaching people how to shoot for over 40 years and I doubt that I could match you.
    Keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I have a cheapo set of Wallmart binoculars that I use as a make-shift spotting scope. It works well enough to see targets at 200yards.
    I have a cheapo pair of binoculars too. Unfortunately the magnification just isn't enough to see if there are holes in the target. Great for baseball games. Not so much for spotting while target shooting. Generally speaking, I can't tell if there are holes until I get to about 25 feet or less with my eyes.

I've seen spotting scopes around the $70-$80 price range that do up to 60X magnification. That would be like seeing the target from 10 feet away. I think I may very well go out and buy one. I sense a trip to Dicks Sporting Goods in my near future...

Now I need to figure out a way to hide it from my wife. That's the tricky part.
    Last edited by Nullifidian; April 29th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Bayonet matters on M44s, not so much on 1891/30s.

I was shooting fine at 100 yards. I'm pretty sure that this is an issue with me, not with the gun. The target looks very different at 200 yards compared to 100.
    We'll Ive seen a consistent change at 50-100 with 2 91/30s so far. Might not with yours, but i would give it a go next time out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast