Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Wicen's Farm

(Bucks County)

Default Wicen's Farm

Hey Guys,

I was looking to go to Wicen's this weekend to shoot my AR. This is the first time I will be shooting my AR so I need to sight it in so I have a few questions. Does Wicen's provide benches and bags or do you need to bring your own. Also, I have never sighted anything before, is it as easy as it seems. Buy a bore laser, put it on target, and adjust your sights accordingly.

Thanks
    "

(York County)

Default Re: Wicen's Farm

Not familiar with that range, but it's more fun to shoot your way on target.

Most factory AR's I have experience with are already sighted in or pretty close.

(Berks County)

Wicen's does have a firing line with benches and bags. Separate lanes for pistol and rifle. No cover, so make sure it's a nice weather day.

One word of warning: Wicen's has been the target of a LOT of anti-gunners in the area due to the expansion of high-dollar suburbs into and around the Wicen farm. As a result, they have to keep range rules and procedures extremely strict. The ROs are very touchy; listen to their rules, and don't break them, or they will ask you to leave.

The two biggest no-nos are:

- Muzzle rise. KEEP THE MUZZLE LEVEL! Their last incident was caused by someone unfamiliar with their rifle who let the muzzle fly up when he fired. It caused a round to fly over the earthen barrier, travel 1000+ yards, and wind up in someone's house (or so it was claimed).

- NO CAMERAS! They have had anti-gunners show up on the property, posing as interested customers, who took pictures and then used those pictures at town council meetings to try and get Wicen's shut down.

Just listen to the ROs are you'll be good.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I miss the brothers. They made the place like home.

Follow what he said.

Follow the rules of safety.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Wicen's does have a firing line with benches and bags. Separate lanes for pistol and rifle. No cover, so make sure it's a nice weather day.

One word of warning: Wicen's has been the target of a LOT of anti-gunners in the area due to the expansion of high-dollar suburbs into and around the Wicen farm. As a result, they have to keep range rules and procedures extremely strict. The ROs are very touchy; listen to their rules, and don't break them, or they will ask you to leave.

The two biggest no-nos are:

- Muzzle rise. KEEP THE MUZZLE LEVEL! Their last incident was caused by someone unfamiliar with their rifle who let the muzzle fly up when he fired. It caused a round to fly over the earthen barrier, travel 1000+ yards, and wind up in someone's house (or so it was claimed).

- NO CAMERAS! They have had anti-gunners show up on the property, posing as interested customers, who took pictures and then used those pictures at town council meetings to try and get Wicen's shut down.

Just listen to the ROs are you'll be good.
    You must have not been there in a while. ALL of their rifle lanes have these enormous concrete "roofs" now. Imagine a large, concrete, six-legged insect with a flat body. They told me these structures are normally used for drainage construction. It is now completely impossible to shoot over the berm while on the bench. Unfortunately, the front of these structures is nosed down quite a bit making it a tad claustrophobic and the noise is pretty bad when shooting high-powered rifles, so be sure to double up on your hearing protection.

Also, bring a drink if you plan on shooting for a while.

In addition, they don't allow rapid fire at all, so to me, Wicen's is only good for target shooting and sighting in.

Oh yea, if you have never been there, you will need to qualify for whatever you plan on shooting. Rifle, pistol, and shotgun, all separate. They simply watch you, and make sure you are not an idiot that is unsafe. This is an additional $15 fee IIRC. After that, it's only $15 to shoot as long as you want each time you go.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Philadelphia County)

If you're looking to sight-in you might consider Classic Pistol indoor range. AR-15s are permitted there. Its a 25 yard range maximum but you set the target where you want. They have chairs to sit down and you can bring a sandbag or two or ask to borrow one of theirs.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    You must have not been there in a while.
    The last time I was there was when I organized a PAFOA group shoot there:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/673...html#post85809

So yeah, it's been a few years. Thanks for the update, I didn't know they installed bunkers
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I used to go to Wicen's a lot but now I go to Langhorne Gun club. Wicen's is nice because at the rifle range you could set up whatever you want at the end of the range, like clay or stuff you just want to destroy. Nothing explosive of course.

the best and easiest way to sight in a rifle that I have learned is to remove the upper, take out the bolt carrier group, and look down the bore. Stabilize the upper with something then line up the bore with a target at the end of the range and adjust your sights to match what you see down the bore. You will get on paper and do your fine adjustments from there.

Good luck

(Bucks County)

well if your sighting in your iron sites follow these steps:

1. center rear site
    2. crank up/down front site post so site post base is flush with site frame
    3. make sure you use the small peep site
    4. iron sites should be zero'd at 25 yards
    5. zero rifle with 3 shoots per string until your hitting point of aim

(Bucks County)

FNG19 and I Went to Wicen's range today!!!

Had a great time sighting in my .35 marlin.

Thank you to the RSO and their help in lining up the targets and keeping the place safe.

I can't wait to go again and shoot some clays.

Hopefully I will get an AR or scout rifle and through some cheaper ammo down range.