Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default .357 magnum vs. .38 special diameters

I've been trying to do some research and info's a little hard to come by. I've got a .357 mag and it shoots both .357 and .38 special ammo, and I'm wondering exactly why those two 'calibers' can both fit into the cylinder? Is there a size difference between the two? Is there not? Are the bullets the same diameter and the casings not? Just looking for a little clarificaiton! Thanks!

Default Re: .357 magnum vs. .38 special diameters

They are both the exact same diameter, you are correct, the casing of the .357 is longer, and I'm not 100% but the average bullet weight may also be different.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Philadelphia County)

Even though most ammunition "names" such as .22, .25 and .38 refer to the diameter of the round expressed in decimal inches, the .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds are the same diameter. The differences are in length, powder loading and bullet size and weight. In those aspects, the .357 Magnum is bigger, heavier and more powerful.
    All revolvers manufactured to use .357 Magnum ammunition can be safely loaded and fired with .38 Special ammunition. The reverse, obviously, is not true. You cannot use .357 Magnum ammunition in a .38 Special weapon.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Thanks for the info! My quesiton then is, who thought to call a round with a diameter of .357 a .38 special? Why not a .357 special?

Quote Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post
    Thanks for the info! My quesiton then is, who thought to call a round with a diameter of .357 a .38 special? Why not a .357 special?
    Actualy the original round was called the 38 Smith In the chart below you can see how it was much smaller then the modern 38 SPL. The casing was also tapered much like the 9mm is today. the average of the taper was 38/1000 or an inch, hence the name 38. Other bullets later where made by Colt and other manufacturers. But the ones that stuck where the 38 SPL, the 38 +P and the .357 There is also a 38 Super auto that is fairly popular. If you click on the chart below it will go a bit larger so you can read it. 30 Smith is the third row, third bullet, 38spl is 5th row last bullet, you can see the size differance.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Northumberland County)

What you should take away from this discussion is that a cartridge name doesn't always denote it's dimensions.

9x18m is another example, it's actually something like 9.2mm not 9mm

same goes for .380auto it is actually about .357 in diameter not .380

I guess overall it just seems inconsistent to me. A cartridge should be labeled as it is, and not have a 'misleading' dimension attatched to it. But hey, I'm not an ammo manufacturer!