I recently purchased an Aero Precision AR 10. It is fine out of the box, giving me 1.5 MOA with factory loads, which is more than enough accuracy for any reasonable application. However, being the anal retentive old fart that I am, I'd like to try to get it to shoot sub moa with my "perfect load." (once I find it)

First I plan to install a drop-in 4 lb trigger. This is a piece of cake. Then I want to install a free float hand guard. My local gun-shop guy says I shouldn't even think about trying to change hand guards myself. He wants me to let him do it for me. I've read everything that's published, and can't find one reason not to do this myself. I can disassemble and reassemble just about everything that shoots. The only exception being that I've never installed and throated a barrel. So my question is, should I just get the free float hand guard and install it myself, or is there some voodoo magic and special training I need? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's done it and can tell me how difficult it is.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Charlie Lemak, aka "Pops"