Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Looking to buy my first handgun

Finally turned 21 this March, and I'm looking to get myself a handgun. Mostly for range shooting and home defense, as I doubt I'd carry very often.

Been wanting an XD (or M), but after reading through this forum for a bit realized that either a Glock or a S&W M&P would serve the bill equally well; my main priorities are ergonomics, ease of shooting, and cost to own. Not quite sure if I'd want 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP though.

Are there any gun shops near altoona that show their inventory and prices online like East Coast Gun Sales does? Makes narrowing down where to look a little easier.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking to buy my first handgun

A couple questions first...

1. How much firearms training/experience do you have?
    2. What is your budget for this firearm?

Oh and welcome to the forums.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Blair County)

1. None with handguns. I can shoot shotguns and rifles well enough, but I don't have extensive experience.

2. Preferably $500>

(Cumberland County)

9mm will be the cheapest ammo to shoot, especially if you don't intend to reload.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

May I suggest you start training with a .22lr pistol?
    It is the cheapest thing you can shoot. Since you say you have no experience with handguns it will get you familiar with the mechanics of handgun shooting. Then you can move up to a 9mm if you want something with a little more punch/stopping power and choose to carry for defensive purposes.

You might also consider a .38 revolver as a starting gun. I think revolvers are a good choice for beginners as they are less complicated to operate and not prone to malfunctions. Also, if you buy a .357 magnum it will give you the versatility of being able to shoot .38 specials or .357 magnums for defensive shooting.

If you are thinking long term and want to build a small collection of firearms over time, you can add as you go along. Personally I think everyone should have at least one revolver in their collection.

Just some things to consider though I realize revolvers just aren't as sexy as auto-loaders anymore.

What ever you do get some training and be safe.

Go with the 9mm. For your price range you could get a nice Sig 239. Heck theres a Walther P99 listed on here for $500 with 3 mags. They are imho the best plastic gun you can buy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post
    1. None with handguns. I can shoot shotguns and rifles well enough, but I don't have extensive experience.

2. Preferably $500>

I gotta second the recommendation that you get a .22lr pistol first. It is so much easier to learn good habits with a .22 rather than beginning with a larger caliber.

Also join a gun club and/or take some courses. I strongly suggest the NRA Basic Pistol class. Some of the info may seem too basic but you will learn good technique.

Do not think you're just gonna go buy a .40sw or .45acp pistol be do well right from the start. Both calibers can be a handful. Heck... I've been shooting for years and when I see problems creep into my technique, I pull out my trusty Ruger MKIII .22 pistol and work on my grip, trigger pull, stance, etc.

There is no substitute for a good .22 pistol in your collection. It's cheap to feed, fun to shoot, and great for practice.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

Good thread right here! I'm turning 21 in another month and I was planning on getting my LCTF and then a pistol. I hadn't considered a .22 but it does seem like a good idea when I think about it. Then I could practice with that while I decide which caliber I'd like to hunt for next.

(Lancaster County)

Have to agree with both the 9mm & 22 thing, the 9mm would be good for home defense and fairly cheap and 22 is dirt cheap. I'd look for a pistol that 22 conversions are available for, when your budget allows for it pick one up.

If you know people that have handguns (mainly the ones your interested in) ask them to go shooting to try them out, this does make it a lot easier to deside.

(Cumberland County)

+Fivehundredmillionthousand on the .22.

There are tons of reasons to get a .22 as a first pistol. It is not a good self defense round though. Better than a pointy stick? A little. If you can afford to buy a .22 first then save a little while for another gun I think you'll be very happy you did. I WISH someone would have told me to get a .22 as my first pistol.

The thing about your very first pistol is you're going to want to shoot it. A lot. I know I did. I started out with a .38 special and a .32 auto and I wanted to shoot them both all the time. I wasn't carrying either of them and I just wanted to shoot. Every time I went to the range I shot $60-$80 worth of ammo! Finally I bought a .22 pistol a little while ago. It has quickly become my favorite. Now I can go to the range and shoot 500 rounds for around $20. I still shoot 9mm and .38 a lot, but not nearly as much as .22.

A .22 pistol will also train you to shoot well without having to deal with lots of recoil or a loud report, things that can negatively affect your shooting. It will also help your trigger control, gun safety knowledge, and general shooting skill.

There are a few great options out there too for not a lot of cash. The Ruger MKII and MKIII are IMHO some of the greatest .22 pistols you can get your hands on. Good triggers and great accuracy right out of the box, and you can get a base model MKIII for something like $299 brand new. They're also built like a brick shithouse. A big solid chunk of steel. I pick mine up and it just makes me feel like it'll be around forever... Just my opinion, I think I'm becoming a Ruger MKIII snob...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast