Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Drunk Driver Shoots At Cop - WWYD?

http://www.break.com/index/drunk-dri...ts-at-cop.html

SAFE FOR WORK VID.

(0:30 seconds for the impatient)

Watch this video.

Look just how long it takes for the police officer to pull out his own firearm and return fire in a clear self defense situation. I figure its almost 6 seconds.

Now take into account, this is a trained individual (at least you'd hope), who is already on condition red (at least you'd hope), yet, it still takes him a few seconds to realize just what the hell is going on, and several seconds more to even begin to fire.

Now what would you do?

And to all the Rambo's and wanna-be armchair Jack Bauers out there, do you think you can pull out your gun from your IWB holster, take cover, align the sights, check your target and whats behind it, put the finger on the trigger, and finally make the decision to fire center-mass any better than this guy?? And do you think you can do it before the bad-guy, whose got the jump on you, empties his entire magazine on your chest?

Just a few things to keep in mind.

Carry smart. Carry safe. And always be aware.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(York County)

Default Re: Drunk Driver Shoots At Cop - WWYD?

Page doesn't load right (might be a work comp issue)...

Is there a different link to the vid?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    And to all the Rambo's and wanna-be armchair Jack Bauers out there, do you think you can pull out your gun from your IWB holster, take cover, align the sights, check your target and whats behind it, put the finger on the trigger, and finally make the decision to fire center-mass any better than this guy?? And do you think you can do it before the bad-guy, whose got the jump on you, empties his entire magazine on your chest?
    Of course they think that. They wouldn't be keyboard commandos if they didn't.

(Pike County)

I'd say the cop was quite fast, given the circumstances. But just wait for all the Rambos from "+1" thread, who seriously consider the idea that 2 seconds will be enought for them to draw and shoot in hairy situation.

(Allegheny County)

the video is dark and, for some reason, very choppy here. it's hard for me to see well what is going on.

however, it looks to me like the officer is talking to the guy through the guys window. then the guy sticks a gun out the window and starts shooting at the officer. the officer responds by running back behind the vehicle to get some kind of cover...or, at least, out of the line of fire.

if so, that is exactly the correct way to respond, imho, and i hope i would respond the same way.

shooting back in that situation is not at the top of the priority list. not getting shot is. if one's first reaction is to draw and return fire, one may find oneself shot (perhaps dead) before one gets one's gun out of one's holster. (unless the guy is so drunk he can't hit a man sized target from a yard away.)

the primary goal, especially for a non-LEO, is not to shoot the other guy. the primary goal...really, the only goal...is to not get shot yourself. shooting the other guy, if you do that, should simply be a means to that end.

good video lordiego. thanks for posting it.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Look just how long it takes for the police officer to pull out his own firearm and return fire in a clear self defense situation. I figure its almost 6 seconds.
    Nope. Only 3 seconds. BG points gun out window at 33sec. LEO returns fire at 36sec.
    The BG first shot is @ 35sec. LEO has his hand on his gun when the first shot is fired. So in one second he draws his gun, retreats behind the vehicle, and fires.

I really don't think he did so bad. I think when the gun first poked out and wasn't fired, he paused thinking it wasn't a real gun or the guy wasn't going to shoot. He reached for his gun instantly but didn't draw. I see that as his big mistake.

Edit: Lightened still photos added
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tlgpa; April 28th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Nope. Only 3 seconds. BG points gun out window at 33sec. LEO returns fire at 36sec.
    The BG first shot is @ 35sec. LEO has his hand on his gun when the first shot is fired. So in one second he draws his gun, retreats behind the vehicle, and fires.

I really don't think he did so bad. I think when the gun first poked out and wasn't fired, he paused thinking it wasn't a real gun or the guy wasn't going to shoot. He reached for his gun instantly but didn't draw. I see that as his big mistake.

Edit: Lightened still photos added
    That officer did a great job, I’m surprised he wasn’t hit with the BG’s first shot.

I think the cop did a great job. One thing I noticed was that the officer has his flashlight in his weapon hand. When the guy pulls the gun, he shines the light in the drivers face. Whether that is intentional or simply a result of dodging the gun, it was effective. It takes the guy a bit of time to recover and fire, and apparently miss. The cop's delay is him switching his flashlight to his other hand and then drawing his weapon. All done while starting to head toward the back of the vehicle and return fire.

Good video.

(Montgomery County)

What I would do is never be a cop, never pull anyone over and never get shot at... that is what I would do.

As for what the cop did, there is a very simple test: he survived, thus he did right. It really is that simple.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

Only reason cop is alive is because the first trigger pull hit a dead round.
    He should be dead.

Better quality select 480p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FtEYrnocM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast