Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Harrisburg Rally Feedback

I just posted my experiance and impression of the rally to an existing related thread over in the lounge section, but thought that there should be a specific rally feedback/experiance thread in the PA section for feedback from those who attened today.

What were your impressions?

Was this your first, if not, how did it compare to others?

What type of reception or sucess did you have in speaking with legislators?

Here is my take on it:

This was my first rally. There were some great speakers with good, solid messages that obviously seemed to be common sense to most of us, but somehow elude some of our legislators even when clearly based on fact, logic and history.

I will say that I was expecting more of a turn out, however, I do realize it is during a work day, but that is how is has to be in order to even get a chance to meet with any of our legislators. However, I was dissapointed to see hear the large number of names called for prizes who registered but did not show up. Again, I realize that some things do come up, but the number was dispropotionate IMO. If you are going to the effort of signing up to attend, then attend unless it is a real emergency that prevents it! I think there were 25+ names called until the half a dozen prizes were claimed.

I only live 25 minutes from the Capitol, so it was just a matter of taking a day off work and paying to park for me. I applaud those of you who drove, car-pooled and bussed in from far away places such as Pittsburgh and Erie.

Our team was not as sucessful in tracking down legislators as I had hoped. The timing was bad since many were on the floor and unavailable (even those we just wanted to thank for their support), but others blatently stonewalled us and closed their doors and had their assistants dispose of us. This was quite upsetting to experiance!

I did leave personal messages for my Representitive (Gillespie) to clarify some issues and I will be following up with another email to him tonight. After an email corrispondence with him last week about HB 40, I was under the impression he was on board (he clearly stated he'd vote yes for HB 40), but when I saw the results of his FOAC questionaire he was not listed as a sponsor of any of the current bills and had an anti-gun rating?

Overall I found the experiance to be very intersting and informative and plan to attend again in the future. However, I think that I may go down on my own at another time when these legislators are not expecting us and do not have their assistants prepared to run interference for them!

In fact, I thought it may be good to set up an appointment to discuss some other topic that we may have common ground on, then cover that very briefly and hit them with the real reason I'm there. However, it seems that if you are not from their district, many dismiss you right away, even though their actions effect all of us!

THANK YOU!
    To all of the volunteers, Team Leaders, Rep. Metcalf and staff, and all the speakers as well as to each of you who took time to show up!

As an active coordinator / leader in one of my other passions, I know it takes tons of work behind the scenes to make these types of things happen and many people simply do not truly realize or take the time to fully appreciate it. I do, and thank you very much for all the work and effort to make today happen!
    Last edited by Broncitis; April 27th, 2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my thanks. :o

(Dauphin County)

Default 2A Harrisburg Rally Apr 27

This was my first time participating in the annual 2A rally in Harrisburg.

Most of my day was spent assisting Suzanna Hupp at her book sales table on the front steps of the Capitol building. I found her to be a genuinely caring person and mother that through tragedy was brought into the public eye and then to the Texas legislature.

I did get to visit a view offices of representatives, but only the office staff was there.

Luck was with me as I was the lucky person to claim the S&W M&P 15-22 rifle that was given away.

photo 9.jpg photo 6.jpg photo 7.jpg photo 10.jpg photo 11.jpg
    Last edited by Howard Bullock; April 27th, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 2A Harrisburg Rally Apr 27

a couple more pics...

photo 12.jpg

Suzanna Hupp and me:

photo 14.jpg

Default Re: Harrisburg Rally Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    I just posted my experiance and impression of the rally to an existing related thread over in the lounge section, but thought that there should be a specific rally feedback/experiance thread in the PA section for feedback from those who attened today.

What were your impressions?

Was this your first, if not, how did it compare to others?

What type of reception or sucess did you have in speaking with legislators?

Here is my take on it:

This was my first rally. There were some great speakers with good, solid messages that obviously seemed to be common sense to most of us, but somehow elude some of our legislators even when clearly based on fact, logic and history.

I will say that I was expecting more of a turn out, however, I do realize it is during a work day, but that is how is has to be in order to even get a chance to meet with any of our legislators. However, I was dissapointed to see hear the large number of names called for prizes who registered but did not show up. Again, I realize that some things do come up, but the number was dispropotionate IMO. If you are going to the effort of signing up to attend, then attend unless it is a real emergency that prevents it! I think there were 25+ names called until the half a dozen prizes were claimed.

I only live 25 minutes from the Capitol, so it was just a matter of taking a day off work and paying to park for me. I applaud those of you who drove, car-pooled and bussed in from far away places such as Pittsburgh and Erie.

Our team was not as sucessful in tracking down legislators as I had hoped. The timing was bad since many were on the floor and unavailable (even those we just wanted to thank for their support), but others blatently stonewalled us and closed their doors and had their assistants dispose of us. This was quite upsetting to experiance!

I did leave personal messages for my Representitive (Gillespie) to clarify some issues and I will be following up with another email to him tonight. After an email corrispondence with him last week about HB 40, I was under the impression he was on board (he clearly stated he'd vote yes for HB 40), but when I saw the results of his FOAC questionaire he was not listed as a sponsor of any of the current bills and had an anti-gun rating?

Overall I found the experiance to be very intersting and informative and plan to attend again in the future. However, I think that I may go down on my own at another time when these legislators are not expecting us and do not have their assistants prepared to run interference for them!

In fact, I thought it may be good to set up an appointment to discuss some other topic that we may have common ground on, then cover that very briefly and hit them with the real reason I'm there. However, it seems that if you are not from their district, many dismiss you right away, even though their actions effect all of us!
    The ones who register and don't show, are just keyboard commandos....
    There should have been over 2k people there today, but there wasn't.....

Next time someone one here is bitching about a law they don't like, ask them how many times they went to the Capitol, and had a F-F with a lawmaker......

Then you will find out who really cares, or who just wants to bitch on an internet forum..........

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

Next time someone one here is bitching about a law they don't like, ask them how many times they went to the Capitol, and had a F-F with a lawmaker......

Then you will find out who really cares, or who just wants to bitch on an internet forum..........

^^^^^^^^
    agree.....i took off work just to be there today.

as far as the experiance it was good. my first rally but sure wont be my last. My group did get to talk to some of the reps. I was very glad to have been able to meet my local rep who is pro 2a sadly she is retiring. She is pushing for another pro 2a to take her position but i cant remember his name.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: 2A Harrisburg Rally Apr 27

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    This was my first time participating in the annual 2A rally in Harrisburg.

Most of my day was spent assisting Suzanna Hupp at her book sales table on the front steps of the Capitol building. I found her to be a genuinely caring person and mother that through tragedy was brought into the public eye and then to the Texas legislature.

I did get to visit a view offices of representatives, but only the office staff was there.

Luck was with me as I was the lucky person to claim the S&W M&P 15-22 rifle that was given away.
    You lucky bastard

(Lehigh County)

This was the first rally that I was at where we went inside the Capitol. Great architecture. Sucked to have to disarm.

I had a great time. Got to meet a bunch of fellow PAFOAers and put some faces to screen names.

I wish I would have been more prepared and I wish that more politicians would have been around. The reason I say that I wish I were more prepared is that I live in Lehigh county and there are many reps and senators that represent my county as a whole. It gets confusing and that I have heard all their names, I couldn't name my rep or senator to save my life. Next year this will not be a problem. I will chalk today up to being a learning experience.

My group only got to meet with one Representative. She was very nice and was pro 2a, had her own LTCF, but she was retiring. The majority of staff members that we met with were very polite and worked with us to pass our message on to the rep or senator for us. One staff member did act as if we were bothering her when we showed up.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

(Dauphin County)

Some coverage found on the web.

http://www.kyw1060.com/Harrisburg-Ra...aws-in/6907370

Posted: Tuesday, 27 April 2010 1:34PM

Hundreds Rally in Harrisburg to Oppose Local Gun Control Laws in Penna.

by KYW's Tony Romeo

Municipalities enacting their own gun laws were in the crosshairs of gun rights activists on Tuesday, who held their annual rally on the steps of the Pennsylvania capitol.

The gun rights rally was, as always, organized by Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler County):

(Metcalfe) "As many know, there’s a problem out there right now with rogue elected officials who think that they have the right to pass their own gun control laws in the municipalities, even though we have a pre-emption law in Pennsylvania against such ordinances.”

(Voice in crowd) “Jail ‘em! Jail ‘em!”

(Metcalfe) “Well, I’ve introduced legislation to smack ‘em down!”

(cheering)

Joe Grace of the gun control group Ceasefire PA says more than three dozen Pennsylvania municipalities have passed laws requiring that lost or stolen guns be reported:

“State law (only) governs the lawful possession and use of firearms.”

And Grace claims the lost-or-stolen laws deal with what happens after guns are no longer lawfully possessed, and are thus not pre-empted.

(Photo by KYW's Tony Romeo)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Bullock View Post
    Joe Grace needs to go back to PDRNJ..........

Tony is not a very good reporter, either.....

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

My apologies for having a decent amount of class work to do before finals, and the semester ends...

I had every intention of going, but couldn't swing it. I wasn't happy about it either.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast