Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Lightbulb Post-Shooter Shop Protest: A Call for some New Ideas

Hey everyone. My name is Zack Jackson. I'm a resident of Philadelphia, a gun collector, and an avid trap shooter. I worked at Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association for about 4 years in high school, and I was taught from an early age to respect firearms. Since moving to Philly, I've been overwhelmed with the amount of gun violence around me, and it makes me sick. Angry people with no respect for the power that they hold are running around killing kids, making it unsafe to walk the streets after dark, and giving politicians ammunition to take away our second amendment rights. It's an issue that hits us from all kinds of angles.

So, recently, some people that I really respect joined up with a group called "Heeding God's Call" to stand outside of the Shooter Shop in Kensington and hold a Good Friday vigil as an attempt to get the owner to sign a 10-point code of conduct. There were a lot of emotions flying around that day, but the one that hit me hardest was the futility of it all. Heeding God's Call was fighting against the Shooter Shop and the counter-protestors were fighting against us while corrupt politicians, underfunded schools, drug dealers, and gang leaders just kept on doing what they are doing. I think both sides of this issue want basically the same thing. We all want illegal guns off the street. None of us gun owners want criminals running around killing people. We aren't monsters. Not to mention, we have the added fear of losing our guns altogether. If anything, we should be out there fighting illegal gun use more than those 2A haters.

Granted, there were plenty of people in the crowd that day who wanted guns to be outlawed altogether, but for the most part, those in charge are more concerned with just getting illegal guns out of the hands of criminals. So here is my thought. If we are both fighting for a similar end, why can't we fight together? I love some of the ideas coming from this side of the debate. Why don't we put more pressure on the judges and law makers? Why don't we increase penalties for people who use guns in violent crimes (while protecting those who use guns in self-defense)? I think we can really make an impact here if we attack the problem from both sides instead of fighting with each other.

I feel like I have a foot on both sides here, and I really want to sit down with people and just listen. Is anyone willing to meet up and share your ideas with me? I'm friends with some pretty important people affiliated with Heeding God's Call, and I'm in a position help direct their focus. I really don't care about politics here. I am interested in 2 things.

1. Making sure that there are less gun-related deaths in Philly
    2. Making sure that the government doesn't take my guns away

Anyone want to help me make these 2 goals a reality?

(Warren County)

Default Re: Post-Shooter Shop Protest: A Call for some New Ideas

Good grief! All that writing to tell us that you are among the ranks of people blaming the guns, not the criminals.

A code of conduct for gun shop owners? Ludicrous!

How about a code of conduct for criminals, law enforcement and the courts?

The empirical data on gun control WORLD WIDE is that is does NOTHING to stop violent crime, and in fact - violent crime INCREASES because the criminals do not fear their victims.

It deprives law abiding citizens from the protection that the criminal justice system CANNOT PROVIDE.

Keep your Government off my Liberty and Rights!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Philadelphia County)

Wow. I'm sorry that you completely misinterpreted me. I specifically said that I am not trying to take any guns away from people. I own guns. Why would I want to take my own guns away? I'm looking for practical, helpful ideas for getting illegal guns off the street, not reactionary responses that paint me as an ignorant leftist or something. If you aren't going to be helpful, please don't add to the noise.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachus View Post
    Wow. I'm sorry that you completely misinterpreted me. I specifically said that I am not trying to take any guns away from people. I own guns. Why would I want to take my own guns away? I'm looking for practical, helpful ideas for getting illegal guns off the street, not reactionary responses that paint me as an ignorant leftist or something. If you aren't going to be helpful, please don't add to the noise.
    Could you please provide your definition of an "illegal gun"? I know of no such thing, only illegal acts by people.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Zach, exactly what are the 10 points in this code of conduct? Also, what has Shooter Shop done to increase violent crime in Phila that would lead to "Heeding God's Call" pushing this code on the owner? I would assume if the owner of Shooter Shop had broken any laws, charges would be brought against him. If he hasn't broken any laws, why is his place of business being harassed for the actions of others?

(Schuylkill County)

The problem is NOT the "illegal" guns on the streets. The problem is the criminals, repeat-offenders, gang members, drug dealers, etc on the streets. If you want some common-sense logic to stop crimes, how about going after the PERSON involved in the crime, and not the object. The situation would be no different if a baseball bat was being used. Put the blame where it belongs, on the person.
    Harder sentences, increased death-penalty usage, no easy plea deals, etc. THAT, my friend, is where you need to start reformation... the "justice" system.

Making my life harder, and infringing further upon MY rights, is NOT going to stop that 15y/o gang member down the street from you slinging dope and raping girls...
    III%

(Bucks County)

I was at the last 3 demonstrations at the Shooter Shop.

Most of the people from Heeding God's Call are very misinformed, and were like sheep. They believed everything the organization was telling them.

As a Christian, I will pray that Heeding God's Call will stop spreading misinformation. I am also disappointed in you(zachus). Someone who supposedly wants to protect their Second Ammendment rights would disavow Heading Gods Call.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Schuylkill County)

1. Making sure that there are less gun-related deaths in Philly
    2. Making sure that the government doesn't take my guns away

Anyone want to help me make these 2 goals a reality?
    That is a complete oxymoron in today's world of liberal politics. In a fantasy world with unicorns and pixie dust... sure. But the only way liberals feel they can cut down on gun related deaths, is by taking away gun ownership. Take a look at Chicago's crime statistics and let me know just how good their strict "gun free" zones are working out for them.
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Could you please provide your definition of an "illegal gun"? I know of no such thing, only illegal acts by people.
    It's called "straw purchasing". People buy multiple guns legally with the intention to sell them on the streets to people who would not normally be able to buy them legally. Once they are owned by criminals, they are illegal. That's what I'm talking about. Please stop trying to paint me as a crazy gun-hater. It's insulting.

(Lehigh County)

Since moving to Philly, I've been overwhelmed with the amount of gun violence around me,
    You had me until there. No such thing as gun violence, any more than there is car violence or baseball bat violence.

Granted, there were plenty of people in the crowd that day who wanted guns to be outlawed altogether, but for the most part, those in charge are more concerned with just getting illegal guns out of the hands of criminals.
    No such thing as an illegal gun.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast