Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflex sights

(Carbon County)

Default Reflex sights

I tried a search on the sight but all I got was this

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    So with that...I am trying to figure out what red dot sight I like best on my AR. I have tried am EoTech clone, an ACOG clone and an Aimpoint clone. I was looking at some reflex sights in the sportsmans guide magazine and was just curious, from those have have experience, what do you guys recommend? There are several in the $40 range that I was looking at. Don't want to spend a lot of money on something I may not like.

Here is the link to the whole search I did, but I was looking at the BSA, Firefield, Sightmark and Barska models. Anyone use those, or these type of sights? Pros-cons? Not looking for long range, just a close quarters, type of sight. Most of the shooting will be done from 0-100 yards.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reflex sights

Quote Originally Posted by xd40_jim View Post
    I have tried am EoTech clone, an ACOG clone and an Aimpoint clone... .....Don't want to spend a lot of money on something I may not like.
    Maybe the reason you didn't like any of those sights is because they are cheap clones??

I guarantee you that if you spend the money for a real EoTech, or any of the above, that you WILL like it. Better yet, try make the next PAFOA meet-n-shoot, and I'm sure you can get some range time with just about any red-dot sight you can imagine.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Washington County)

I agree. Its a shame though that the real ones cost almost as much as the rifle it is going on. heck, you would think with teh amount of Trijicon's getting sold to the .govs, the price would go down a bit.

(Allegheny County)

Have had a couple of cheap reflex sights on airsoft, and hated them... unreliable, battery life sucked, doesn't hold zero much, etc.....

Then I got an Aimpoint CompM4 and LOVE it.... end of story. Nice and bright, consistent, repeatable, holds zero without a problem at all. Common AA batteries, and the batteries last forever (I have never turned mine off)... and it's TOUGH!

Got an EOTech 557 as well... and although it's cool, and fancy, with the holographic reticule, I am not sure if it will take as much abuse as the Aimpoint. Also the batteries don't last nearly as long. The nice thing about it is the larger window... With an Aimpoint, you tend to get "tunnel visioned" more than the EOTech's. But at the same time, the larger window is also more exposed and more prone to damage.

They're both nice sights.... just depends on what style you like more!

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Maybe the reason you didn't like any of those sights is because they are cheap clones??

I guarantee you that if you spend the money for a real EoTech, or any of the above, that you WILL like it. Better yet, try make the next PAFOA meet-n-shoot, and I'm sure you can get some range time with just about any red-dot sight you can imagine.
    I never said I didn't like them, I am just exploring all of my options before I drop a ton of money. I can't afford $500 on an Eotech, or Aimpoint at the moment. That's why I got the clones, just to get a basic idea. Wasn't expecting them to be top notch like the real ones, just getting a feel for the type of sight.

@ LightningMcQueen784, thanks for the info. I plan to make a big purchase this summer and I am leaning towards the Aimpoint, just looking for a red dot for now.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Bucks County)

I like dot sights better because the EOtech type reticle is too busy for me. I like the dot that just comes up and you focus your attention on one thing.

(Allegheny County)

I have a question in the more budget friendly optic. It seems to me from the looks and specs as well as some discussion I have found on other web forums that EOTech sights are just rugged versions of the Bushnell HOLOsight.

Not as cheap as some of the clone optics. But I'm not going to be fighting in Kabul so if I can save a couple hundred buy not buying the rugged version I will.

(Westmoreland County)

A good optic for an AR should be at least 2/3 of the value of the rifle. Why would you spend good money on a rifle and put a junk optic on it?
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

well, some people have limited budget, and would rather spend the money on ammo perhaps. or i believe the op hinted at the cheaper optic may be a "test run" to make sure he doesn't spend $700 on something he may not like.

Either way, glass on an AR isn't as critical as one on a longer range rifle... sounds like the op just wants something to plink and have fun with w/o breaking the bank.

If the AR is to be a defensive weapon though, I'd urge the op to put something nicer and more dependable on it - like an Aimpoint or EOTech (Aimpoint prefered).

(Berks County)

Not going to comment on 'wanna be's, aka clones...so that in itself should be enough.

Like Grand Pop once said, "If I'm gonnna drink a beer it's not gonna be cheap or junky. I want to really enjoy it twice good....once when it goes in & down, and the second time when I'm letting it out making room for more!"

Take a hard look at the the Burris Fast Fire II. Micros are hear to stay, and growing. Has no equal in it's class and it worth more than what is being charged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast