Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflex sights

Default Re: Reflex sights

Quote Originally Posted by xd40_jim View Post
    I never said I didn't like them, I am just exploring all of my options before I drop a ton of money. I can't afford $500 on an Eotech, or Aimpoint at the moment. That's why I got the clones, just to get a basic idea. Wasn't expecting them to be top notch like the real ones, just getting a feel for the type of sight.

@ LightningMcQueen784, thanks for the info. I plan to make a big purchase this summer and I am leaning towards the Aimpoint, just looking for a red dot for now.
    Try the "red dot" Russian military holographic (collimating) Kobra, available from at least three or four internet retailers at about $200. I love mine and it fits on my flat top AR with a built-in quick release mount. I've used them on an AK, an M1A, an FN FAL, and a Saiga. Great and fast for close in to maybe three hundred yards on a man-sized (or deer sized) target.

Just a bit of advice from personal experience. You can do what you want, but I've spent more money trying to save a few bucks on "inexpensive" optics in my 51 years of shooting than I have on my Leupold scopes, EAOtec's, etc.

Optics are nice, but aren't a necessity. Do yourself a favor & save your money until you can afford an Aimpoint, EAOtech, or something you really want & not a clone. You won't be sorry later.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I have a question in the more budget friendly optic. It seems to me from the looks and specs as well as some discussion I have found on other web forums that EOTech sights are just rugged versions of the Bushnell HOLOsight.

Not as cheap as some of the clone optics. But I'm not going to be fighting in Kabul so if I can save a couple hundred buy not buying the rugged version I will.
    No, the bushnell is a variant on the EOTech.

If you want cheap: Vortex Sparq or Primary Arms Micro. Then save for an Aimpoint.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Luzerne County)

Its a shame though that the real ones cost almost as much as the rifle it is going on
    The financially cold truth is that quality optics cost. There is really no way around that. When I bought the Trijicon TA01 that I have, I spent almost as much on it as I had for the AR. I do not regret a dime of that. That same hold true for the Eotechs and the Aimpoints. They ARE worth the $.
    But...I am very sympathetic the the "I'm on a budget" scenario. The best advice has already been given...Save up till you can afford quality. The good news there is that your gun is still shootable - unless you were unwise enough to buy a gun without sights. People do. I have. Not a mistake to make twice. If you have the irons....learn to shoot them. The High Power Service Rifle guys and gals shoot the irons out to 600 yards and do remarkably well. You may find that you don't need a scope at all. Then, yes, you have that money to spend on ammo. (IMHO - another thread here - way too much attention is paid and money spent on optics that are unnecessary....cool looking maybe but unneeded.)
    Pete

PS That TA01 that I mentioned....it's not on my AR. Took it off. Didn't need it. It ended up on another .223, a T/C Contender.

P
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12