Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default "New" Sig P225? (Paging 1BlindRef!)

OK, so I have a question about the "new" triple-serial, all-German, folded-slide, pinned-breech P225's that are around on GunBroker, as well as Top Gun Supply, Summit Gun Broker, etc...

I say "paging Ref" b/c I imagine that he has the answers I need:

(I will PM him if that is deemed more appropriate, but I thought that the other members could benefit from reading these same answers)

1) Is there a date code on the chin of these pistols? I would think yes, since they are 100% German-made and assembled, w/triple serial stamps and nitro proofs and are also shipping w/ the test target - But I need to know if there is a date code also? If so, what is it? I can't find a clear pic of the underside of one on any of the sites I see them F/S...

2) Are these P225's identical to the "real-deal" German P225's of days gone by? I know they are new-manufacture, but I was led to believe that they are 100% German, and only imported through Exeter, NH? Sig purists (like 1BlindRef) will understand that question... The 3-bot night sights have me questioning that - I thought the old-school P225's had the Sig 'bar-and-dot' sights? The take-down lever is also the new style... I am a bit puzzled.

Thanks in advance to anyone able to provide any insight.

For reference, here is the exact pistol I am referencing:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...s-9mm-new.html

Regards,

Bones

Default Re: "New" Sig P225? (Paging 1BlindRef!)

Two things.
    1. If your looking for 1blindref you better go to the Flyers thread.
    2. Where are the pics of this pretty Sig?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Two things.
    1. If your looking for 1blindref you better go to the Flyers thread.
    2. Where are the pics of this pretty Sig?
    1) Hmm, I didn't think to look in the Flyers thread... Thanks for the heads-up!

2) I don't have the P225 in hand yet (will post pics when it's here)... If I am satisfied w/ it, I might end up selling one of my P7's (GASP!!!) to replace the gouge in my bank account.

Regards,

Bones

ETA - I saw a pic of one on GB, and there was no visible date code on the chin
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 26th, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: clarification

(Montgomery County)

Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!
    Oh wait - wrong thread

Hey Bones,
    Looks like that Sig itch is back
    I wish I had the $$ to buy one of your P7's to help you scratch that itch. I don't have a nice P225 to trade you either (I do have a couple of P228's). I had a very nice "AC" code P225 (new style take down lever with night sights) but I gave it to one of my sons.

I'm not sure if those new P225's have a date code on them. It's possible the guns were assembled here in the US and don't have a date code on them. They could have triple serial numbers and no date code like the some of the Sigs made and assembled here in Exeter in the mid 90's. The night sights could have been installed when Exeter put these guns together.

Sig started using the new style take down lever in around 1998, so that would be correct for a new P225.

My advice would be to call Tom or Michelle at Top Gun Supply and ask them if the guns have date codes. They are both very knowledgeable and will be able to answer your questions.

Their number is (440)729-7273 and are open for calls Mon - Fri from 9am to 5pm.

Good luck with scratching that itch!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!, Lets go Flyers!!!
    Oh wait - wrong thread

Hey Bones,
    Looks like that Sig itch is back
    I wish I had the $$ to buy one of your P7's to help you scratch that itch. I don't have a nice P225 to trade you either (I do have a couple of P228's). I had a very nice "AC" code P225 (new style take down lever with night sights) but I gave it to one of my sons.

I'm not sure if those new P225's have a date code on them. It's possible the guns were assembled here in the US and don't have a date code on them. They could have triple serial numbers and no date code like the some of the Sigs made and assembled here in Exeter in the mid 90's. The night sights could have been installed when Exeter put these guns together.

Sig started using the new style take down lever in around 1998, so that would be correct for a new P225.

My advice would be to call Tom or Michelle at Top Gun Supply and ask them if the guns have date codes. They are both very knowledgeable and will be able to answer your questions.

Their number is (440)729-7273 and are open for calls Mon - Fri from 9am to 5pm.

Good luck with scratching that itch!
    Thanks much for the info, Ref... I believe you are correct about the lack of date code, and the likely explanation of them being assembled in Exeter...

But the lack of a date code was not enough to keep me away... I did it. I broke down and bought one. Been wanting a LNIB or NIB 225 forever, and I have a well-documented weakness for single-stack 9mm's... It was inevitable.

Once I put it through its paces, and am convinced that it's GTG as a carry piece, I will most likely sell my W. German 1986 BMI trade-in P7 (Even though I never carried that particular P7, I can't believe I'm even saying that)... But I will never get rid of my P7M8, and the 225 certainly has its work cut out for it if it plans on edging that M8 out as my primary EDC... Plus I now need to track down ANOTHER VM-2, spare mags, blah blah... Oh the horrors of buying new toys!

What really put me over the edge in seriously considering buying a Sig to maybe carry is the utter dead-nuts reliability of that Euro P220 in 9mm that I snagged some time ago... That thing just does not know what a malfunction is, and is accurate as one could ask.

Of course, my tax return just arrived yesterday, so maybe I will be able to justify keeping both!

Thanks again!

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Sorry Ref - Your Rep Button is broken on my end!
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 27th, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: tried to rep... fail...

These guns do not have a date code on the chin of the slide. They are triple serial numbers, German proofed, test target from Germany etc. They are fully manufactured, assembled and test fired in Germany. Manfacture period is 2009. The SigLite night sights are made by Trijicon which is another tell-tale sign of German origin. US guns will have SigLites made by Meprolight.

Enjoy!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun Supply View Post
    These guns do not have a date code on the chin of the slide. They are triple serial numbers, German proofed, test target from Germany etc. They are fully manufactured, assembled and test fired in Germany. Manfacture period is 2009. The SigLite night sights are made by Trijicon which is another tell-tale sign of German origin. US guns will have SigLites made by Meprolight.

Enjoy!
    Welcome Michelle and Tom! Great to see you here.

To anyone here not familiar with Top Gun Supply - they are tops for service and have an excellent inventory of gun stuff - especially Sig parts. They ship very quickly and have excellent communications throughout the sale.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Thank you 1blindref!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun Supply View Post

Enjoy!
    Thanks a bunch for the definitive information! My email notification of shipment from Top Gun Supply (thanks, Michelle) just came earlier today - My 225 is on its way to PA as we speak.

I can't wait... I loves me some all-German pistols...

Top Gun is great to deal with. I have bought mags and other goodies from them in the past, but this is my first firearm purchase from them. First-rate customer service every time I've dealt w/ them...

I will post pics as soon as I have it in hand!

Regards,

Bones