Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Larger Caliber Improves Shooting Accuracy of Smaller Caliber: Dilemma

So, the accuracy with which I shot my CZ-75B 9mm, increased dramaticaly when I got the P229 in .40. The same has now happened w/the P229 after getting the P220 .45ACP. Where do I go from here?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Larger Caliber Improves Shooting Accuracy of Smaller Caliber: Dilemma

Faster, faster and faster. Shooting accurately and precisely is very very important. Shooting fast and accurate is even better. Increase your speed while maintaining accuracy. This is a very difficult skill.

Practice reloading drills, drawing and presenting, malfunction drills, shooting one handed, shooting weak handed. There is much work to be done and you appear to be going in the right direction, keep it up.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Larger Caliber Improves Shooting Accuracy of Smaller Caliber: Dilemma

Sounds to me like a S&W 500 is calling your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Faster, faster and faster. Shooting accurately and precisely is very very important. Shooting fast and accurate is even better. Increase your speed while maintaining accuracy. This is a very difficult skill.

Practice reloading drills, drawing and presenting, malfunction drills, shooting one handed, shooting weak handed. There is much work to be done and you appear to be going in the right direction, keep it up.
    Steve said it all in a nutshell, If you have a place where you can set you up a make believe house with wall's, room's hallway etc..(ROOM CLEARING SKILLS) To ensure you don't shoot a friend or family member...this will spice it up, keep it fun & give you real world senerio's to work with & anything & everything else to can think of. This is better real world training than moving up to larger caliber's, you can never get to fast & to accurate. And having a friend with you to yell & scream play loud music, TV, bright light's off/on. Anything that would be a distraction so you can learn to tune it out & still function safely & accurately. You figure at the range you have perfect shooting condition's when or if you need to save a life of a family member or friend, the condition's will never be perfect. My Sgt. use to run right behind me in room clearing drill's yelling & screaming & doing everything he could to confuse me. Believe me this take's practice but you will get use to it & be much better at the skill's you need to enhance your accuracy under distress & improve mental disipline.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; April 26th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Interesting. It's been said the opposite is typically true; people tend to shoot more accurately with a larger caliber after shooting a .22 because of a 22's low to non-existant recoil. Shooting a 22 gets rid of recoil flinch reflex.

Not sure how shooting a larger caliber could help with accuracy with a smaller caliber.

use smaller targets. try 2in target at 7yrds. if that's not a problem put yourself on a timer, then move back to 10yrds. etc. then go down to 1in targets.

(Perry County)

Why not try some IDPA or USPSA matches, then you could compare your speed and accuracy against others?

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to all. I'm far from where I want to be with accuracy, but things are coming along. I suppose it is odd that as I go up in caliber, my accuracy with the smaller calibers gets better, so yes, the S&W 500 can only help. Seriously, I'm just not a revolver person, otherwise I'd consider that cannon, er, pistol.

Tactical training really appeals to me, so I'll definitely look into that.

IDPA/USPSA: Are there classes (read categories) for such matches? Being a relative novice, I'd like to compete against simlarly skilled people. I have some research to do there too.

As always, great responses from a great group. Thanks!

Mark
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Seriously, I'm just not a revolver person, otherwise I'd consider that cannon, er, pistol.
    Mark
    .50 AE isn't just for Desert Eagles. There's always 10mm too.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    IDPA/USPSA: Are there classes (read categories) for such matches? Being a relative novice, I'd like to compete against simlarly skilled people. I have some research to do there too.
    Both organizations will put you with people of similiar skills. Once you start competing your class will change the better you shoot. Also, I've never been to any type of competition where the most skilled people won't offer tips to the novices on how to shoot and compete better. If you do start competing, you'll also get into reloading (you have to to keep costs down) and this just adds to the whole fun of shooting.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast