Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking for tips to help defend my home

A house on the next block from my apartment was robbed last week, the occupants were beaten senseless. I don't know all the details, but it got me thinking tonight -- I can't think of a good way to defend my home if these guys had decided to target me instead. This crime was committed by 4 teenagers, and they've all been caught since.

A few things of note. I lived in this town 10 years ago and recently moved back. After I moved out, they converted an old warehouse into low income housing. The crime rate has tripled since then, which is still well below the national average and way way way below where I grew up (Camden, NJ), but it could happen to anyone, anywhere and I can see the low income apartments from my back porch. They are about a block away, with only a large parking lot and a small office building between me and them.

So my apartment is really the second floor of a "100 year house". Basically a house that was constructed sometime between 1880-1900. It's not laid out very well for tactical advantage, though, and I'm not sure how I'd defend my home here.

There are three easy points of entry. The front door which is on ground level of main street, the back door which leads to a two story deck with ground access, and a window in the bedroom which also opens to the deck. Inside, there are 4 rooms which all lead to the same spot in the center of the apartment, at the top of the stairs to the front door. Basically, 5 doors in a 6sq foot area.

I can provide a rough MS Paint diagram of the apartment layout if needed.

My concerns are basically, no matter where someone tries to come in, other than my bedroom window, I can't clear any areas without turning my back to 3 other doorways...

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for tips to help defend my home

First of all, don't post a floor plan or your weaknesses in a public place where the criminals can also see it if they wanted to.

Even with the anonminity of a screen name a resourceful person can find out more than you might expect.

I had a friend who's garage was broken into after his sister posted in public that she was going to VA for the weekend with her family... Luckily he stayed home & the burglar got to meet his Mossberg, ran off & was later caught & confessed.

But getting back to try to help answer your queery for tips, are you allowd to have a dog? Dogs are both deterrents to criminals and backup for you.

Placing mirrors in strategic places so you can see everything from one vantage point is helpful where possible.

Remember too that in PA you have a duty to retreat, so plan the escape route as well as the defensive technique. I'd think that having a well thought out escape plan that you can show why you could not carry out in that particular instance will go far in court if you ever find yourself there for defending yourself.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(York County)

the only thing i could think of off the top of my head is to get out, or find a relatively defensible place and wait for the cavalry.

it's my understanding that clearing a house on your own isn't a great idea in the first place. having no one to watch your back, AND having multiple entrances behind you, is just asking for a bullet to the back (IMHO).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post

Remember too that in PA you have a duty to retreat, so plan the escape route as well as the defensive technique. I'd think that having a well thought out escape plan that you can show why you could not carry out in that particular instance will go far in court if you ever find yourself there for defending yourself.
    Isn't that a myth? You should retreat, but you do not have to in PA (so long as you are IN your home).
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

I would look into something like these.

http://tinyurl.com/2ao5eqf
    http://tinyurl.com/2ez5b59

They make alot of noise when disturbed and along with hopefully scaring off whoever breaks in, it's loud enough to alert you if somebody breaks in.

Sorry crime has been increasing in your area.
    I don't know New Holland too well, but I sure enjoy the range you guys have out there :-)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    There are three easy points of entry. The front door which is on ground level of main street, the back door which leads to a two story deck with ground access, and a window in the bedroom which also opens to the deck.
    Do you have door alarms and motion sensors? How about security cameras?

If you're on the 2nd floor, I assume the front and back door still only provides access to you through a single stairway? If so that's a tactical advantage. If an alarm goes off on either door downstairs, you know exactly which way they are coming up. Racking the slide of a shotgun at the top of the stairs would probably deter anyone from coming up.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

First of all, don't post a floor plan or your weaknesses in a public place where the criminals can also see it if they wanted to.
    Yeah I was hesitant to post the floor plan for just that reason, but it was hard to ask for advice without describing my weaknesses...
    But getting back to try to help answer your queery for tips, are you allowd to have a dog? Dogs are both deterrents to criminals and backup for you.
    I wish. If I was allowed to have dogs, I'd still have my Shepherd. I may be buying the building I live in at some point, though. If that happens, I'm getting another Shep.
    Placing mirrors in strategic places so you can see everything from one vantage point is helpful where possible.
    That's a really good idea, I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
    I thought (key word, thought) that duty to retreat was only in public areas. It was my understanding that PA castle doctrine didn't have a duty to retreat from your own home. That said, I'm far from a legal scholar, and cannot be 100% sure on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Do you have door alarms and motion sensors? How about security cameras?
    Two motion activated flood lights out back and the street out front is well lit by street lights, that's all there is as far as deterance.

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    I would look into something like these.

http://tinyurl.com/2ez5b59
    I have considered one of those. I'll have to do a bit of research and see how many sensors I can pair with that keypad, to make sure I can cover all my entrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    Sorry crime has been increasing in your area.
    I don't know New Holland too well, but I sure enjoy the range you guys have out there :-)
    Yeah, that 600 yard range is great, isn't it? I love it.

(Allegheny County)

Do you have any formal firearms training ?

My suggestion is to seek out and attend some good quality intruction. Once you build a foundation in the fundamentals you can then begin to learn about tactics.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Do you have any formal firearms training ?

My suggestion is to seek out and attend some good quality intruction. Once you build a foundation in the fundamentals you can then begin to learn about tactics.
    +100000000

Being on the second floor helps a lot. I would be careful about mirror placement. If you ever intend on using a flashlight to look around at night time your place, you might have some unexpected outcomes.

Know your layout and run through different situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF