Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Question My father is buying me a handgun as a gift

Well, I just finished completing a firearms course at my college and am looking to get a handgun for target shooting. My father has already said he will buy me one as a gift. I've decided on either a Glock 19 or 26. I'd like to use the gun for CC once I turn 21. My father isn't really a gun person but he has said he would like to go with me on occasion and learn how to shoot.

Now my questions are these:

1. I'd like to go with him to the dealer so I can see how they fit in my hand. I've fired a Glock 19 before but I'd like to see how the 26 compares and if it would be too small. Would a dealer freak out if I told him my father was buying it with the intention of giving it to me as a gift? Would he suspect a straw purchase? Or should I just tell the dealer that its for both of us to use and not mention that it will primarily be mine as a gift?

2. As a gift from a parent, my understanding is that no paperwork needs to be done to transfer it. Just physically transferring possession. Is this true?

Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: My father is buying me a handgun as a gift

No worries. Your dad can buy you a gun and GIVE it to you as a gift.

Get the G19.

Oh, and congrats on taking a firearms course.

Also, i'm pretty sure you can Open carry at 18. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny my statement - or you could search the board. So, you might not need to wait until 21 - but you will need to wait to get a LTCF and carry concealed.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; April 25th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

You'll be fine. Your situation is nothing new to a shop, I did exactly the same with my son. Unfortunately he screwed up and can no longer own a gun but that's beside the point. I also sized up a shotgun with my daughter when she was 11. So the sale itself is no problem. And transfer at 21 is "here ya go Son, happy birthday!".

What I'm not sure of is to and fro range transportation. Another with better knowledge here can advise but you better find out before you take it out without your Dad if you can transport before being 21. You can open carry at 18 but be damn sure you read up on this method first. OC doesn't apply to vehicles and other laws come into play.

And lastly....make sure you give your Dad a sincere hug and thank you. He may not be a "gun guy" but he supports that you are heading that direction. That's a good Dad. I also go with the 19 option, but size them up side by side first.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; April 25th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    No worries. Your dad can buy you a gun and GIVE it to you as a gift.

Get the G19.

Oh, and congrats on taking a firearms course.

Also, i'm pretty sure you can Open carry at 18. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny my statement - or you could search the board. So, you might not need to wait until 21 - but you will need to wait to get a LTCF and carry concealed.
    Thanks. My college offers a "Firearms and Police combat situations" class to CJ majors. I'm in the final week of it now and it has covered the history of firearms, Federal and State laws, use of deadly force continuum, safe weapons handling, and training on the range.

I am aware that I can open carry at 18 however I doubt I will ever do it since I would have to walk everywhere in order to stay legal.

Since the class covered Federal and State laws, I have a pretty good understanding of everything, I just wanted to make sure that my father buying it with the intention of giving it to me wouldn't freak out any dealers.

I am leaning towards the G19. Besides, if I turn 21 and want something a bit smaller to CC with then I just have an excuse to get another handgun.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    You'll be fine. Your situation is nothing new to a shop, I did exactly the same with my son. Unfortunately he screwed up and can no longer own a gun but that's beside the point. I also sized up a shotgun with my daughter when she was 11. So the sale itself is no problem. And transfer at 21 is "here ya go Son, happy birthday!".

What I'm not sure of is to and fro range transportation. Another with better knowledge here can advise but you better find out before you take it out without your Dad if you can transport before being 21.

And lastly....make sure you give your Dad a sincere hug and thank you. He may not be a "gun guy" but he supports that you are heading that direction. That's a good Dad. I also go with the 19 option, but size them up side by side first.
    Non-prohibited persons can lawfully possess firearms (including handguns) at age 18, not 21.

You have to be 21 to apply for a LTCF or be on the receiving end of a transfer facilitated by an FFL.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Non-prohibited persons can lawfully possess firearms (including handguns) at age 18, not 21.

You have to be 21 to apply for a LTCF or be on the receiving end of a transfer facilitated by an FFL.
    There we go....the wiser have spoken. OP, read up on things, lots of info to learn.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lawrence County)

No problem... However, if you were to go to the gun shop, pick it out, have your Dad fill out the paperwork, then give him the money, they might raise issue with this and view it as a straw purchase... As I've said before, I view handgun gifts as a grey area judgement call or the FFL dealer...

BTW, G19 all the way... Many people CC the G19... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    No problem... However, if you were to go to the gun shop, pick it out, have your Dad fill out the paperwork, then give him the money, they might raise issue with this and view it as a straw purchase... As I've said before, I view handgun gifts as a grey area judgement call or the FFL dealer...

BTW, G19 all the way... Many people CC the G19... lol

-Chaz
    Yes, as far as I know, if I pay him to buy it for me, then it would be considered a straw puchase. However I will not be doing that, so no worries.

By the way, does anyone know if the 4th gen G19s areout yet? Have they only released the full size 4th gens thus far?

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    However, if you were to go to the gun shop, pick it out, have your Dad fill out the paperwork, then give him the money, they might raise issue with this and view it as a straw purchase
    -Chaz
    It would be perfectly legal in PA for a dad to buy a gun and just outright give it to his son/daughter. No straw purchase ambuguity here.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Avi90 View Post
    Yes, as far as I know, if I pay him to buy it for me, then it would be considered a straw puchase. However I will not be doing that, so no worries.

By the way, does anyone know if the 4th gen G19s areout yet? Have they only released the full size 4th gens thus far?

Some FFL's will still see it as a strawpurchase because they have been beaten down by the police and lawyers. Other FFL's know the difference.

The Fed's wont be a problem so long as its being acquired a legitimate gift, nor will the PSP. After the commercial transfer takes place, and if one of the exempted person doesn't like their new gun - they can sell, barter, trade, gift, it to another exempted person without any paperwork so long as they are both of the same state and neither is a prohibited person.

Line 33 of the PSP SP 4-113 (10-2008) has this nice little bit of clarification.

33. Are you the actual buyer of the firearm as defined under 18 PA.C.S. 6102 listed on this application/record of sale? (Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm on behalf of another person unless you are legitimately acquiring the firearm as a gift for any of the following individuals who are legally eligible to own a firearm: 1) spouse; 2)parent; 3)child; 4)grandprent; 5)grandchild.)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast