Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default EP classes valuable for the armed civilian?

Like most who choose to carry a firearm, my main reason is the protection of my family, specifically my wife and kids. I want to protect myself, yes, but alone my alternate means of defense are broader. Alone I can run fast, fight hard, shoot quick, focus on threat etc.

Being that they are as 'I' as 'VIPs' get, I think I would benefit from EP training as an addendum to my pisol training. I think pistol classes focus on protecting the self, and do a great job of it, but mostly fall short on protecting those in your proximity.

If it isn't already, situational awareness should be a 24/7 practice, but I think EP skills would go beyond that. Classes like 'Hostility Detection' and 'Kidnap Prevention' as well as situational envirionments (eg, cars and crowds) are vital skills, I believe, for one who aims to keep safe the VIPs in their lives.

Thoughts??
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: EP classes valuable for the armed civilian?

EP TTP's are specialized and tailored to the threat assessment. They are often performed by a "team" with each member of the unit tasked with a specific responsibility. IMO it's overly complicated for the threat level and circumstances a family would typically encounter.

This is why we started offering our Tactics 1 class, so that a husband / wife or BF / GF would acquire some measure of preparedness operating as a "team", even if the wife or GF is not a shooter.

(Allegheny County)

You can get a good feel of EP training from INPAX. I've taken over 30 classes off of INPAX. It is one of the only full time defensive tactics and firearms training company in PA.

The owner Sam is still doing executive protection work, inside and outside of the country. A lot of trainers are gym rats, or sport shooters (like me), Sam is actively doing the work in the field.

www.inpax.net

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    You can get a good feel of EP training from INPAX. I've taken over 30 classes off of INPAX. It is one of the only full time defensive tactics and firearms training company in PA.

The owner Sam is still doing executive protection work, inside and outside of the country. A lot of trainers are gym rats, or sport shooters (like me), Sam is actively doing the work in the field.

www.inpax.net
    are you instructing with them now John ?

(York County)

We cover dealing with a protectee such as a spouse or child during Vehicle Tactics and Combative Pistol. Changes the way you act and the way you move. What is interesting is that many who talk about carrying to protect their loved ones have no idea how to make that happen in real life. We teach awareness, avoidance, and aggression. When covering someone you need to be willing to avoid more than if you are by yourself.

I have a close friend who went to a very high speed EP course. They did not cover the wearing of and how to deal with seat belts. It is the little things. We will be doing another Vehicle Tactics Course this summer in Quakertown.- George