Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Some general questions regarding license requirements, antlered deer

Hey guys,

I sifted through a lot of these posts and found some good information in the stickies.

I am wondering a few things. First of all, I took the Hunters Safety Course when I was 12 and obtained a license after that. This was over 10 years ago and I'm certain that neither are recoverable. From what I am reading, I need proof of one or the other to obtain a hunting license.

First of all, I am a hunting newb. I was out when I was 12 and maybe when I was 13 and that's it for the last 10 years.

Question 1: If I try to obtain a license for Buck Season this Fall, will they be able to lookup my proof of prior license or do I have to provide the physical license that I once had?

Question 2: Does anyone know if I can get a copy/certificate proving my status so I can get my license?

Question 3: I have an LTCF and know I can carry while hunting. I'll be toting a Ruger Redhawk, is there anything prohibiting me from taking the deer with this instead of my rifle? Or is that a separate license/season? I know there's a restriction on rifles (only bolt, level, pump rifles with 3 rounds) but wasn't sure if the same applied to Revolvers.

Question 4: Is there a cut-off for buck/antlered deer season? I took a week off of work so I could go hunting and will be very disappointed if my lack of planning means I won't be able to hit the woods.

Thanks!
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Some general questions regarding license requirements, antlered deer

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Question 1: If I try to obtain a license for Buck Season this Fall, will they be able to lookup my proof of prior license or do I have to provide the physical license that I once had?

Question 2: Does anyone know if I can get a copy/certificate proving my status so I can get my license?
    This may vary per location ... but I've never been asked to produce 'proof', just asked if I have held a license in a previous year and they continue. You can purchase via the PGC website and the form has a button to indicate if you have held a license or taken the course. I've purchased via the website the last two years now.

Question 3: I have an LTCF and know I can carry while hunting. I'll be toting a Ruger Redhawk, is there anything prohibiting me from taking the deer with this instead of my rifle? Or is that a separate license/season? I know there's a restriction on rifles (only bolt, level, pump rifles with 3 rounds) but wasn't sure if the same applied to Revolvers.
    Your Redhawk should be fine. Keep in mind the 3 round restriction is only for shotguns ... there is no restriction for manually operated rifles (lever, bolt, pump) that I can find. A lot of folks use lever rifles that hold 6+ rounds and load them up. Personally my bolt gun holds 4.

Question 4: Is there a cut-off for buck/antlered deer season? I took a week off of work so I could go hunting and will be very disappointed if my lack of planning means I won't be able to hit the woods.

Thanks!
    No cut off ... that's why the huge lines exist at Wal-Mart the night before the season opener.

Hope this helps ...

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Some general questions regarding license requirements, antlered deer

Thank you very much. I filled out the form. How do I know what the license is for?

I always thought there was a fishing license, antlered license, muzzeloader, etc. One for each. This just seems to be a general form. So, am I mistaken? Will this form be good for a Antlered/Buck license?

Thanks

(Somerset County)

Thank you very much. I filled out the form. How do I know what the license is for?

I always thought there was a fishing license, antlered license, muzzeloader, etc. One for each. This just seems to be a general form. So, am I mistaken? Will this form be good for a Antlered/Buck license?

Thanks
    Fishing is another Gov't agency ... PA Fish and Boat Commission.

The general hunting license covers antlered deer and most forms of small game ... exception being migratory waterfowl. So with the general license you're good to go for squirrel, grouse, pheasant, rabbit, turkey, crow, groundhog, and antlered deer. The license will come with a regulation book that will explain seasons and rules.

You need extra stamps and tags for antlerless deer, bear, elk, muzzleloader, archery, waterfowl, and probably something else that I've forgotten.

(Westmoreland County)

You're awesome! Thanks a ton.

I have a lodge reserved in Central PA (Woodward, near State College) and just wanted to make sure I dotted all the i's. I bought a gun and have everything ready to go, cept my Orange, and wanted to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thank you very very much.

On another note, is a license needed to shoot groundhogs on your own property? Also, if they don't apply on your own property, are their still restrictions on the type of rifle? I'd love to take a few out with my Cx4 Storm, if possible.

(Snyder County)

I have a lodge reserved in Central PA (Woodward, near State College) and just wanted to make sure I dotted all the i's. I bought a gun and have everything ready to go, cept my Orange, and wanted to make sure I don't miss anything.

Just wanted to say this is a nice area. I don't live too far away and drive through there often to visit the in-laws. And I have done some hiking in that area as well.

Enjoy!

(Allegheny County)

You can get a replacement certificate for $10.00

You can not hunt with a semi-auto rifle or handgun for either small game or big game (I don't know what the Storm is.)

It is still not too late to get an anterless license for 2A (Greene county, most of Washington county and a small piece of Beaver county.)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    Just wanted to say this is a nice area. I don't live too far away and drive through there often to visit the in-laws. And I have done some hiking in that area as well.

Enjoy!
    I know. I grew up in Woodward. My family owns www.woodwardcrossings.com.

There's no place in this world I would rather be than in Woodward, drinking a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk
    You can get a replacement certificate for $10.00

You can not hunt with a semi-auto rifle or handgun for either small game or big game (I don't know what the Storm is.)

It is still not too late to get an anterless license for 2A (Greene county, most of Washington county and a small piece of Beaver county.)
    So license isn't good all over the state? I just purchased one online but didn't see an option to specify where it was for.

As for the semi-auto. I don't mean hunting, per say. What about pest control? When clearing pests from farm land, am I held to the same restrictions as small game hunters? I assume so, just wondering.

Thanks, guys. +3

EDIT: I called them and spoke with a nice lady. She said I am good all over the State for Buck, but need a separate license for anterless. I misunderstood your post 41 Redhawk, my mistake. I get antlered, anterless, buck, doe all confused. heh, it's been a while. I think I have it now.

Thanks to all
    Last edited by D-FENS; September 24th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.

(Somerset County)

Thank you very very much.

On another note, is a license needed to shoot groundhogs on your own property? Also, if they don't apply on your own property, are their still restrictions on the type of rifle? I'd love to take a few out with my Cx4 Storm, if possible.
    IIRC ... and I'm not as clear on the law on this ... you can take 'vermin' on your own property with whatever means (and without license) ... and the groundhog falls under vermin. Maybe someone else will have more details. I personally take care of rodents, groundhog included, on my property with whatever is at hand.

Good to see someone getting back into the sport! I've been at it for 24 years now. It's a great way to enjoy the outdoors and wild game can't be beat for taste ... and it's healthier too! If you make it to the PAFOA Shoot #8, look for the smoke cloud when I get out the flintlock and come check it out.

Glad to be able to help ...

(Beaver County)

A few additional comments: the 3-shell capacity for shotguns is during all seasons except for hunting deer, then as with all legel firearms it is magazine capacity. Note: Special regulation areas permit semi-auto shotguns. (As Borat would say about the Bennelli M1, Nice...., Very Nice.)

Regarding your blue Hunter Safety Card, if you contact the place where you took it or better yet the person who ran it, you may be able to get another copy for free, as some has said you don't have to have it, but if you go hunt out of the state of Pa you may need it.

Sorry, you can't use your storm for hunting in pa, but you can in WVA.

You can carry your ruger concealed and use it for hunting, I think, you may have to carry it open(not opened cylander), even though you have an LTCF.

oh, yea, about the groundhogs, in the hunting regs you get with your license, you'll see their are seasons and limits and whatnot on varrious animals. It also states, that any animal not listed is then protected(not like endagered species), but more along the lines that all animals are protected in the commonwealth unless there is a season for it. So the vermine thing don't fly with me, as there is a season for it. I ain't gonna argue the point with others, do what you want to do.

Can't wait to check out your new goodies, though. Hope this helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast