Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you dropped your striker pistol

Say you drop your striker fired auto on the asphalt as shown in the picture. Would you worry? Is there anything to worry about? I have fell on the gun before scratching up the side of the slide and frame. But it fired fine after.

I am just concerned about the striker assembly. The sight does not appear to have budged any, which is good. Good thing its a beater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: If you dropped your striker pistol

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    Say you drop your striker fired auto on the asphalt as shown in the picture. Would you worry? Is there anything to worry about? I have fell on the gun before scratching up the side of the slide and frame. But it fired fine after.

I am just concerned about the striker assembly. The sight does not appear to have budged any, which is good. Good thing its a beater.
    I'd say nothing to worry about. I had the entire striker assembly of my Walther PPS apart and I don't think anything in there would damage from a beating like that. I also read somewhere that some police department tested Glocks before they decided on them by throwing them off a helicopter onto concrete from a few hundred feet and they fired just fine after that.

Last but not least, the striker is blocked from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Which means that dropping it on the asphalt like that cannot cause a discharge.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

It doesn't look to me like the striker ever was contacted, it was a little higher on the slide. If you are very worried about the assembly, I'd do a full strip and actually check on the striker assembly.

(Jefferson County)

If someone were willing to buy me another, I'd take my striker fired Walther P99 and throw it down the Grand Canyon and not worry about it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks folks. I should have added that I am not worried about discharge because I am aware of the firing pin block.

When I say "fell on it" I really mean fell from an elevated position hard and fast from a run onto my side on asphalt, slid on the gun bruised my hip, and the gun went sliding like in a movie. I looked vertical to my head to see it sliding away(have bought retention holster since). It is definately scratched. but superficially. nothing more than a mm deep.

Tomcat088, thanx thats what I thought.but On taking it apart I read not to go past field strip, unless you are a gunsmith. But I would like to be a gunsmith I am just scared.

but could anything actually happen from contacting the back??

(Allegheny County)

There's probably a video on youtube detailing the advanced disassembly. Unless you are an idi... "mechanically challenged"... you'll be fine. Take her apart and give it a look. And then you will be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    There's probably a video on youtube detailing the advanced disassembly. Unless you are an idi... "mechanically challenged"... you'll be fine. Take her apart and give it a look. And then you will be satisfied.
    Thanks, I like to think of myself as inclined. I am very intuitive, and even more so inquisitive. I took several shop classes in school and excelled in them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 View Post
    Thanks, I like to think of myself as inclined. I am very intuitive, and even more so inquisitive. I took several shop classes in school and excelled in them.
    You'll be fine. Guns are not that hard. If you come from cars or anything which requires technical ability 90% of what you will encounter with weapons will be a walk through the park.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    I'd say nothing to worry about. I had the entire striker assembly of my Walther PPS apart and I don't think anything in there would damage from a beating like that. I also read somewhere that some police department tested Glocks before they decided on them by throwing them off a helicopter onto concrete from a few hundred feet and they fired just fine after that.

Last but not least, the striker is blocked from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Which means that dropping it on the asphalt like that cannot cause a discharge.

Jan
    Two things to note in this entire thread. ONE: Firing pin block will work. If you DROP your firearm, go against everything you were ever taught and what your brain will want you to do and JUST LET IT FALL. Some have tried to "grab" a falling pistol and had an ND. TWO: I don't know how to add a quote from another post, but the OP had a nasty fall and "watched his pistol slide across the asphalt like in the movies". He has since purchased a retention holster. EVERYONE needs a retention device of some kind on their holster.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I don't know how to add a quote from another post
    click the multi quote link on each post you wish to quote

EVERYONE needs a retention device of some kind on their holster.
    Jules
    I agree for the most part but what about IWB open top holsters?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast