Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default How do I get an FFL or NFA dealers license?

How hard is it to get an FFL? How much and what do you have to do?

How can I get an NFA dealer license?

Is there another way to purchase a dealer sample nfa item?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How do I get an FFL or NFA dealers license?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    How hard is it to get an FFL? How much and what do you have to do?

How can I get an NFA dealer license?

Is there another way to purchase a dealer sample nfa item?
    Buy or open a gun shop...contact the BATFE and apply for a FFL...once you have the FFL apply for the SOT (NFA)...for a dealer sample you will need a letter from a local law enforcment entity requesting a demonstration.

(Northampton County)

Transferable Glock 18s don't go for $100,000 because being a SOT is easy or because there is another way around it. It is because being a dealer is business and there is no other way around getting a dealer sample.

If you have your heart set on having a gun business, and the perks that go with it (such as cheap full auto), then go for it. If you have your heart set on a couple machineguns but don't want to pay the price, move on to another hobby.

(Montgomery County)

Steps to a FFL (I looked into this as a side job)

1.) Buy and open a store. The ATF is cracking down on people running FFL's out of their homes)

2.) Establish store hours. Again, the ATF is not liking "by appointment only"

3.) Get a Pennsylvania state tax id and business insurance.

4.) Contact the ATF for an application.

5.) Complete and mail application and 200 dollar fee.

6.) If approved, you'll receive your FFL.

7.) Apply for your NFA license.

8.) If received, buy your items.

9.) In about a year, ATF agents will arrive to inspect your store and possibly review your sales log. Yes, you have to log every gun sale you make.

It's not worth it, unless your serious about opening a gun shop.

But if your going to go to all that trouble, open an FFL shop in DC.

(Berks County)

I think it would be cheaper to just buy a transferrable MG, rather than go the expense of opening a gun shop.

If you truly want to open a shop and conduct business... then do it.

If you read the FFL application, it specifically asks if you intend to do business and make a profit. If you are applying for the FFL just to collect guns, it won't be approved.

(York County)

having just gone thru this process, i can say that the earlier responses miss the mark by a margin or two.

to get an FFL you need to apply in accordance with ATF procedure, obtain a zoning permit (you can operate out of your house), apply for a tax number, obtain a fictitious name if you want to use one, sit through an interview, and apply for a state firearms liscense after receiving your FFL. you need to do certain things like submitting fingerprints, copying your app to your county sherrif, obtaining a means of secure storage and an approved bookeeping method, etc. the entire process takes about 4-5 months, costs a minimum of about $300 for the first 3 years, and is intended for business purposes, only. you will need to keep financial books, as well as an AFT bound book registry of transferred firearms, pay quarterly taxes, etc.

(Lackawanna County)

And a very serious suggestion, even if you intend to only work as a gunsmith, is to establish set hours at least one day a week; generally, the ATF must visit during scheduled hours (there are plenty of exceptions, though).

It is safest to establish your shop in an outbuilding; if it in your home, make sure that it has a separate entrance. If an agent needs to go through your home to get to the shop, anything that he sees is fair game. If he is limited to the shop, the rest of the home is off limits.

If there are zoning regulations where you are located, they want the approved zoning ruling or variance as well.

See a lawyer and incorporate the business. Unfortunately, it isn't too difficult to 'pierce the corporate veil' on a single ownership corp, but it does limit your liability somewhat to the value of the business and its insurance.

You don't see too many small shops cranking out cans or full autos because of the potential liability...a large company may survive a hit, but all it takes is one incompetent asshat to do something stupid with something you've built for lawsuits to bring a world of hurt on you.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."