Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Onorato wants to abolish Preemption

This was his response to a question about gun rights in a Live chat on The Morning Call recently:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Onorato
    Dan_Onorato: Adam Z: I support the 2nd Amendment and our sportsmen's culture in Pennsylvania. I also support an individual's rights to defend their homes -- and current law allows you to do that, I do not believe we need to change that law. In addition, I believe we must also support common-sense measures to improve public safety -- including a requirement to report lost-and-stolen handguns, child safety locks, and local options.
    Amazing. Simply amazing that he contradicts himself in the same ####ing response. He says we don't need to change the law, then IMMEDIATELY says he wants to add lost-and-stolen laws and require child safety locks.

Worse still, he mentions "local options". Under the PA UFA preemption clause, "local options" are ILLEGAL TO ENACT. Anyone attempting to violate preemption is guilty of "a misdemeanor in the first degree" according to the UFA. That means one of two options:

Either
    1) He wants to change the UFA to remove preemption
    OR for worse
    2) He wishes to simply ignore PA state law when it comes to firearms

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Onorato wants to abolish Preemption

I love the reference to sportsmen...ugh.

(Montgomery County)

Why do they all start off with that same disclaimer of supporting 2A rights, only to contradict it in the next freakin' sentence?

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    Why do they all start off with that same disclaimer of supporting 2A rights, only to contradict it in the next freakin' sentence?
    Because people are stupid and a lot don't carry but do hunt and say to themselves when they hear that first part, "Well, he doesn't mean me so I don't care." Lemmings...

(Beaver County)

Too bad we can't abolish Onorato from being stupid.
    Please visit my Website for Exotic ammunition and 37mm goodies... http://gunshowgoods.com

This makes me scared because:

1) I think Onorato is the most likely guy to win the Dem nom.
    2) I think he has a real chance of becoming governor.

And as was mentioned, the hunters in PA who don't give a crap about carrying rights will have no problem supporting Onorato. Also notice how Onorato said he believe people have a right to defend their "HOME". He didn't say they have a right to defend THEMSELVES. Translation: he wants to get rid of the right to carry.

He's very careful with his wording so as not to give too much away about his actual beliefs until he sees something that the overwhelming majority of Pennsylvanians will want to hear. For example, he's jumping hard on the bandwagon of reducing property taxes. Of course he doesn't say how he'd reduce property taxes, just that he's going to reduce them.

Personally I don't think the state should do anything about property taxes; they are at a local level, let them be handled at a local level. If you don't like your property taxes, start attending council meetings. People demanding the state step in and offer property tax relief are just shifting the burden onto someone else; asking the state for a bailout. The taxes the state SHOULD lower at the ones the state collects. State income tax, state business taxes, state sales taxes, etc. should be looked at. That's neither here nor there though.

Anyway, the point is, he is careful to only say what he thinks most Pennsylvanians want to hear. He gives just enough on the RKBA issue to get support from hunters without alienating the antis in Philly.

(Allegheny County)

dan the tax man is not to be believed or trusted at all.

he is running ads saying he never raised taxes. well, maybe he never raised any existing taxes...he just create a brand new one from scratch.

he is also running ads taking credit transforming pittsburgh from a steel economy to a high tech/medical/service economy as the county executive. given that that happened like, oh, 20 years ago when dan the tax man was probably still in college, it seems hard to see how he is responsible for it, though.

dan also wanted to make the sheriff be an appointed, rather than elected, official which would, of course, have concentrated more power in his hands.

dan is not to be trusted at all.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    1) I think Onorato is the most likely guy to win the Dem nom.
    agreed.

2) I think he has a real chance of becoming governor.
    i think him beating corbett in the general election is actually a bit of a long shot.
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian View Post
    Also notice how Onorato said he believe people have a right to defend their "HOME". He didn't say they have a right to defend THEMSELVES. Translation: he wants to get rid of the right to carry.
    Excellent point. I had to re-read that myself because it slipped past me. In my opinion he is saying more "in between the lines" than in the actual statement. My translation is the same, he wants to get rid of the right to carry.

(Bucks County)

Right so vote NO on:

NO Onorato!!
    NO Anthony Williams

Yes Corbet!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast