Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Camping and shooting in the Poconos?

My girlfriend and I are planning on doing some tent camping in the Pocono area over the Memorial Day weekend. Any suggestions on campgrounds and shooting ranges would be appreciated.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Susquehanna County)

Default Pocono Range

Wayne,
    I haven't been there myself yet but go to
    sunsethillrange.com It sounds interesting.

Tony

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Tony. If we get to camp up that way we will.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Carbon County)

Default How about Sunnyrest Lodge?

I just HAD to suggest that Wayne...you couldnt find a better place to commune with nature Its a nudist camp!
    However, you might never want to leave to go to the range

I have been wanting to get to Sunset Hill as well and rent some automatic weapons OK that probably would make me want to leave a nudist camp and go to the range...we gun folk can be a strange bunch
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Lancaster County)

I taught an Archaelogy summer field course that was set right across the River from a Nudist camp in NJ some years ago. It was a hoot on the morning on day 2 when the nudist would mess with the students by watersking and such passed the sight. Everytime the 1st full morning the profs and instructors slept in because all the students had everypiece of optical equipment in use.
    --------------------
    Wayne

---------------

(Philadelphia County)

I went to this awesome shooting range in the Pocono area. I can't tell you the name of it or the exact location, but its aproximately 20mins away from Camelback.

The place is farily large, they have 20 or so lanes set up, with increasing calibers and different weapons. You might start with a 22 revolver and work your way up to a G3 or Tactical AK-47. They basically charge you by the clip/mag but its wasn't overly expensive. Also, no full-auto either.

Once you make it to the area, just pick up the pamphlets that are everywhere. You see it. (I remember the add mentioned "shoot Dirty Harry's .44" and the like). Also, this place is not listed in Google Maps or anything like that, and my brand new GPS wouldn't find it either.

Good luck!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Camping and shooting in the Poconos?

I reserve the right to be wrong but I believe firearms are allowed at camp sites on state park land. If I am correct Hickory Run state park has camp grounds and a 15 minute drive up the road to the game land range off 93.

If you go let me know I'm five minuted up the road.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    I reserve the right to be wrong but I believe firearms are allowed at camp sites on state park land. If I am correct Hickory Run state park has camp grounds and a 15 minute drive up the road to the game land range off 93.

If you go let me know I'm five minuted up the road.
    Target shooting is not allowed on SGL or State Parks/Forests, unless at an official shooting range.

--Rob

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Target shooting is not allowed on SGL or State Parks/Forests, unless at an official shooting range.

--Rob
    I know that. There is a range off of 93. The reason I tossed in camp sites is due to the regulation of no firearms in state parks, I believe they can be in camp sites, but I'm and not a ranger or lawyer