Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default .22 long or short

I have an H&R Model 900 .22 revolver that I inherited a few years back but have yet to fire.

I noticed in Walmart the other day that there is .22LR and .22 short ammo. How do I determine which i need? I'm assuming they are not interchangeable?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: .22 long or short

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I have an H&R Model 900 .22 revolver that I inherited a few years back but have yet to fire.

I noticed in Walmart the other day that there is .22LR and .22 short ammo. How do I determine which i need? I'm assuming they are not interchangeable?
    What does it say on the barrel? .22LR? or Just .22?

.22LR and .22 shorts are interchangeable in some guns.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short
    Last edited by tlgpa; April 23rd, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Jefferson County)

The H&R 900 is chambered for .22rf Long Rifle. You can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles in it.

Just about any revolver chambered for shorts will have a very short cylinder, and very few "short" only guns were made after the early 1900's since you could still shoot the shorts in the long and long rifle chambers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

My understanding has always been that almost any .22 caliber firearm would accept shorts, longs, and .22LR.

I also was always under the impression that .22LR would be the preferred cartridge. (The reasoning was that shorts have to make a small jump to the breech in a chamber and therefore leave increased lead deposits. And that longs were a poor compromise.)

I never understood why the three existed in the first place.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    My understanding has always been that almost any .22 caliber firearm would accept shorts, longs, and .22LR.

I also was always under the impression that .22LR would be the preferred cartridge. (The reasoning was that shorts have to make a small jump to the breech in a chamber and therefore leave increased lead deposits. And that longs were a poor compromise.)

There were short and long only guns because they were made prior to the long rifle. The short was invented first, then the long, then the long rifle. The long can shoot the short and long, the long rifle can shoot the short, long, and long rifle. In the short only, and the long(+short), the chamber is typically shorter to match the given cartridge.

The long has the same case length as the long rifle, but has a shorter lighter weight bullet.

sorry for poor image quality, my digicam is dead.. ..have to use my cellcam.

Sometimes the short is preferred for it's lessor sound levels. I keep (2) boxes in inventory at all times just for close, or close quarter, rabbit and squirrel harvesting. It's just as capable at such ranges at killing small game as it's bigger brothers - without the extra noise.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! That's the best explanation I've ever had!

(Washington County)

And just a mention, like in my henry lever gun, you can mix and match the three, but never 22 magnum.

one of the fellows on here gave me a great tip about the lever rifles... load one round of 22 short following 16 rounds of 22LR, you will know by the sound of the lighter shot that you are now out of ammo and need to reload.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the info. The barrel merely says "22 cal"....so if i understand I could use either LR or short...

Now...it somebody can explain what the 2nd "trigger" is? Looks like it may actually be broken...

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post

snipped

Do you really want to know?

It all started with a little gun called the Flobert that shot a .22 cal ball that was seated on a breech cap (percussion cap) hence the term BB cap or bulleted breech cap. The Flobert was designed as a so-called "parlor gun" for indoor shooting entertainment.

But I'm getting tired of typing so here's a cite where you can read more.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Thanks for all the info. The barrel merely says "22 cal"....so if i understand I could use either LR or short...

Now...it somebody can explain what the 2nd "trigger" is? Looks like it may actually be broken...

The "second trigger" looks like some type of safety to stop the trigger from moving back. I am not an expert but i have seen guns that have safeties like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast